Working Dog Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Premium Member
21,861 Posts
Liz, you wouldn't have trouble petting my JRT's head. He has a verticle jump that is higher then you are tall.
Well.....at 11yrs old, he's down to about 4 ft now. :lol: :wink:
Yes! He went ballistic in the yard but backed off when the mail carrier stepped back into the street.
He's well aware of his boundary lines and his yard belongs to him.

· Banned
329 Posts
Well, I can't wait to get her. she will be large they say, and they sent me an email today asking If I could pick her up as SOON as possible. We had agreed on Tuesday, but I think they are hoping for Sunday (tomorrow). Apparantly she is now with the younger litter that came in and they don't like that too much. The kennel owner said that she is greeting her at the door every time. I just can't wait to get her home. Are the West German usually taller than the KNPV, DDR, East German, Czech lines??

· Banned
24 Posts
Non-stressful barking-bluff dog

David Frost said:
<<Highly>>

They can call it a bluff dog if they like, but let's call it what it is. That type of behavior is fear based, nothing more. I wouldn't think that would be a good PPD.

DFrost
A bluff doesn't have to be fear based. A great bluff dog can be trained that the barking at the "suspect" is a fun game. You can start with bringing out the defence in the dog and then you build the confidence so that the dog is playing a "game". Barking ferociously at the suspect becomes a fun game that does not negatively stress the dog.

When I took my 7 year old chow mix to "dog school" with me, we practiced aggitation and decoy work with her. For 2 days she wouldn't bark because she didn't understand why some idiot was dancing around in a funny suit trying to antagonize her - ie: she knew the person was not a real threat. When he tapped her toes with a stick, she got into the game and started to bark at him. She was having fun barking and we got her to stay in front of me and bark loudly, as she loves to bark for fun anyways. So she learned that strange people are fun to bark at and if I had kept up with it, I could have added a command and had a simple type of PP Dog. And most criminals will back away from a barking dog.

Simple type of PP Dog, no stress on the dog, she's great with kids and people and animals, super family dog, and if I wanted to, she could bark for protection.

I think that is the type of PP Dog that most families want/need anyways. The average person doesn't need a dog that will bite. Barking can be almost as effective for the average citizen. Plus the liability of an untrained "yard dog" is eliminated, so the dog can be a part of the family and protect his family as well. Less bitten children who accidently stick fingers through fences or from dogs who escape yards and run loose. Most happy, family dogs can make great barking bluff dogs and the dog just thinks it is a fun game.

Thoughts and comments?

· Banned
24 Posts

sorry, computer issues, deleting duplicate post

· Banned
24 Posts

David Frost said:
<<Highly>>

They can call it a bluff dog if they like, but let's call it what it is. That type of behavior is fear based, nothing more. I wouldn't think that would be a good PPD.

DFrost
A bluff doesn't have to be fear based. A great bluff dog can be trained that the barking at the "suspect" is a fun game. You can start with bringing out the defence in the dog and then you build the confidence so that the dog is playing a "game". Barking ferociously at the suspect becomes a fun game that does not negatively stress the dog.

When I took my 7 year old chow mix to "dog school" with me, we practiced aggitation and decoy work with her. For 2 days she wouldn't bark because she didn't understand why some idiot was dancing around in a funny suit trying to antagonize her - ie: she knew the person was not a real threat. When he tapped her toes with a stick, she got into the game and started to bark at him. She was having fun barking and we got her to stay in front of me and bark loudly, as she loves to bark for fun anyways. So she learned that strange people are fun to bark at and if I had kept up with it, I could have added a command and had a simple type of PP Dog. And most criminals will back away from a barking dog.

Simple type of PP Dog, no stress on the dog, she's great with kids and people and animals, super family dog, and if I wanted to, she could bark for protection.

I think that is the type of PP Dog that most families want/need anyways. The average person doesn't need a dog that will bite. Barking can be almost as effective for the average citizen. Plus the liability of an untrained "yard dog" is eliminated, so the dog can be a part of the family and protect his family as well. Less bitten children who accidently stick fingers through fences or from dogs who escape yards and run loose. Most happy, family dogs can make great barking bluff dogs and the dog just thinks it is a fun game.

Thoughts and comments?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.