Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new puppy finally made it to me from Holland. She is a little monster, so confident, totally fearless, and a big time troublemaker, but adorable. She is 9 weeks old. Here are some pics.

"Watching the big dogs"

She claimed this one I guess....

Yes....that is my slipper.

Can you see the halo??

"Back off Rommel!"

Had to have one next to the flag...

This is the speed she travels at..........everywhere.

"Go ahead Piper.......try to take my pillow"

She really loves the pink slipper

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Very cute pictures of Ziris - not surprising that SHE thinks the pink slipper is HERS considering everything you bought for HER -- collar, kong, frisbie etc is PINK. :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I like this picture better of Ziris - taken today when she met her helper/decoy for the first time. I am taking the liberty to post it, as the pictures were taken with my camera (which is as old as dirt). :twisted: Poor Ziris soon she will have no more tail :(

·
Registered
512 Posts
Lacey Vessell said:
I like this picture better of Ziris - taken today when she met her helper/decoy for the first time. I am taking the liberty to post it, as the pictures were taken with my camera (which is as old as dirt). :twisted: Poor Ziris soon she will have no more tail :(

Great looking pup!

How come the tail is coming off??

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Not in Holland, here is docking & cropping of ears forbidden.
If i´m very honest I like dobies with docked tail & ears better :oops:

·
Registered
580 Posts
They don't look so bad with the ears and the tail... it grows on you. My boy is cropped and docked, I decided not to do my girl.

Now I love it. As a puppy, she went through a period where it didn't look right, and I thought I had made a mistake not doing it, but as she matured, it really began to fit her.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any particular ethical thing against doing the ears and tail, and will probably do it again on my next Dobe, but there are advantages. Obviously a tail dock at nine or ten weeks hurts a LOT more than one at two days, when the bone hasn't fully formed yet, and it's a lot harder to keep them from messing with the surgery spot.

But the best thing I have found is the public reaction to the dog is different. When I take out my boy, who is ten times more social than my girl, people cross to the other side of the street - but with an uncropped and undocked dog, people don't automatically think "Oh, a scary dobermann!" They actually want to come up and pet her (which with Bane is not always a super idea :eek: )

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
At 9 weeks, good luck finding a vet that will dock the tail. Tail docking is supposed to be done within a few days of birth, before the nerve endings have closed. You're stuck with it now. The ears, you can still do if you want, but the tail is there to stay.

What is it about those pink slippers from K-mart that puppies find so fascinating, anyway?! :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have an appointment tommorrow at 10am. Tail docking is generally done early but the vet that I am taking her to does not seem to think it will be a problem. I have seen dobes with bad tail docks that have been re-done without a problem, so I am thinking it will be fine.

I am going to talk to the vet in the morning before I leave her (he is not my normal vet, but he does great ear crops) so if he thinks it is going to be a major thing I will find out then. I doubt I am the first person who has imported a puppy and had it cropped and docked though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They don't look so bad with the ears and the tail... it grows on you. My boy is cropped and docked, I decided not to do my girl.

Now I love it. As a puppy, she went through a period where it didn't look right, and I thought I had made a mistake not doing it, but as she matured, it really began to fit her.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any particular ethical thing against doing the ears and tail, and will probably do it again on my next Dobe, but there are advantages. Obviously a tail dock at nine or ten weeks hurts a LOT more than one at two days, when the bone hasn't fully formed yet, and it's a lot harder to keep them from messing with the surgery spot.

But the best thing I have found is the public reaction to the dog is different. When I take out my boy, who is ten times more social than my girl, people cross to the other side of the street - but with an uncropped and undocked dog, people don't automatically think "Oh, a scary dobermann!" They actually want to come up and pet her (which with Bane is not always a super idea :eek: )

Her little tail and earsare really cute, but I am thinking what a lethal weapon it will be when she grows up :D I really did think about keeping them, but in the end I decided to go ahead and crop and dock.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Dobie tails aren't like shepherd or mali tails. They're thin and whiplike. Don't get me wrong, they can really hurt banging against your leg :eek: but they're not coffee table sweepers like a shepherd's.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Dobie tails remind me of great dane tails... but great danes have crotch height tails (or if you have small kids -- face height :lol:) ... I would understand docking a dane tail :lol: I've learnt to turn my body sideways whenever going to my friends house, n my friends kids have learnt to stand back or duck whenever I come over ;) But I personally don't believe in altering a dog for appearance sake. The tail also provides balance, a dog with a tail has better physical balance in bitework than a long legged dog without a tail.

Ofcourse, I don't hold it against people who do choose to do it, that's their choice n it's no big deal to me, but I do like the natural look ;)

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
The crop and dock look is what the Dobe is all about. My neighbor had an uncropped/undocked Dobe some years back. Always looked like a B/T Coonhound.
That is a fine looking pup though!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
she's a beautiful pup, love her bone, and her "expression". to weigh in on the Dobie crop/dock issue: i think they LOOK much sleeker cropped/docked (they look like the "flying nun" uncropped), or like a hound uncropped/docked (to the general public).

i've had ppl ask me what breed my cropped/docked fawn Dober is, simply b/c he's not blc/tan--they seem to think he's some weird type of Wiemanerer (sp?).... :(

speaking of my Dobe, he is simply AWESOME at doing the 180 degree flip, i think the lack of a tail has made him more, IDK, "compact" in his direction changes--he can literally stop on a dime, turn and give you change back.

my dearest GSD, while quick on direction changes, has NOTHING on the Dobe...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts