Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Golden Lab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My background is in search & rescue, not in law enforcement or military, but my GSD shows fantastic talent & enthusiasm in sniffer training. She is 8 mos, has excellent prey drive, & is extremely intelligent yet sweet. She has such wonderful potential & would be a great resource! She needs a job! How do I begin to get her into detection work?
Thanks for any and all advice!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you looking for paid work to do with her or unpaid? I am a certified wildlife detection dog handler, at least in the states it is a very fragmented field and you will find it difficult to find consistent paid employment with your dog. I work seasonally, with the migration patterns of our target species every summer. Another option would be getting your dog certified in bed bug detection, but I haven't done that personally- I have heard the training aids for that can be sketchy though so fair warning there. Privately owned avalanche SAR teams such as the vail resorts teams might take you on if you are already knowledgeable about first aid, CPR certified and know how to ski well. Unpaid options would include American Schutzhund, NACSW nose work, AKC or UKC nose work as well. Find out what options are in your area or how far you are willing to travel, I drive 15 hours every summer to relocate for 3 months, but if you sign up for one of the fun nosework sport clubs you could find something within 20 minutes if you live near a major city. NACSW is targeted towards rescue folks usually, AKC is similar but with more older dog ladies. American SCHH is going to be primarily sport folks, but I believe you can pursue only the scent portions of the sport. I would recommend listening to Canines talking scents podcast as well as reading books such as "scent and the scenting dog" and "detecion dogs and odor dynamics"

·
Registered
Golden Lab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you looking for paid work to do with her or unpaid? I am a certified wildlife detection dog handler, at least in the states it is a very fragmented field and you will find it difficult to find consistent paid employment with your dog. I work seasonally, with the migration patterns of our target species every summer. Another option would be getting your dog certified in bed bug detection, but I haven't done that personally- I have heard the training aids for that can be sketchy though so fair warning there. Privately owned avalanche SAR teams such as the vail resorts teams might take you on if you are already knowledgeable about first aid, CPR certified and know how to ski well. Unpaid options would include American Schutzhund, NACSW nose work, AKC or UKC nose work as well. Find out what options are in your area or how far you are willing to travel, I drive 15 hours every summer to relocate for 3 months, but if you sign up for one of the fun nosework sport clubs you could find something within 20 minutes if you live near a major city. NACSW is targeted towards rescue folks usually, AKC is similar but with more older dog ladies. American SCHH is going to be primarily sport folks, but I believe you can pursue only the scent portions of the sport. I would recommend listening to Canines talking scents podcast as well as reading books such as "scent and the scenting dog" and "detecion dogs and odor dynamics"
Thank you!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts