Working Dog Forums banner

Yikes! Another dog!!

457 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Connie Sutherland 
#1 ·
No, I didn't die or lose my computer, but I DID learn that three is much much much much different from two dogs.

This foster guy is recovering from neuter surgery and a tooth extraction (at age seven), but you'd never know it!

I am daring to log on for 2 minutes while they are tired from a walk....... :lol: :lol:

#2 ·
P.S. Any ideas for training to do something for a reward that involves no real physical stuff? This foster is a senior dog who is both recovering from surgery and also scheduled for a spine/leg eval. So “sit,” which he doesn’t know (he’s untrained), is probably out for now.

When I treat the others, they sit first. I would like this guy to do something (anything) in his turn, just for G.P. :wink:

#3 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
P.S. Any ideas for training to do something for a reward that involves no real physical stuff? This foster is a senior dog who is both recovering from surgery and also scheduled for a spine/leg eval. So “sit,” which he doesn’t know (he’s untrained), is probably out for now.

When I treat the others, they sit first. I would like this guy to do something (anything) in his turn, just for G.P. :wink:
How about "speak"? It doesn't involve anything other than barking...though it might get annoying.

Glad to hear he's recovering well!

#5 ·
How about an "eat" command? Yes... however basic that is, both my dogs know that when I say "eat" they are allowed to do whatever they wanna do to try and get the food outta my hand. Lykas thing is scratching my hand till it opens lol, Cujo just tries to force his nose between my fingers... both dogs like barking at me.

#6 ·
Introduce him to marker/clicker training and get creative with just about anything you want.
I like Konnie's thoughts on look, touch. You could add right turn, left turn, literally anything your imagination can think of.
I greatly admire your efforts in rescue work BUT you deserve a puppy!! :wink:

#7 ·
Thanks, you guys!!

I am working on the eye contact for rewards. It's funny to have a senior with zero training. He lived his life in a outdoor crate, but with potty breaks. However, he is socializing INCREDIBLY well and fast!

Mike S. saved me by reminding me that he's a puppy as far as housebreaking goes. He is now IN THE CRATE! most of his non-exercise time. It just never dawned on me until Mike said it that a senior who is dribbling everywhere is the same as an pup-in-training. :oops:

Now the 13,000 carpet spots are cleaned and are drying, and Ollie is in the crate with walks every hour or so.

"Speak" might be unwise because my dogs are trained not to bark in the house (except for when someone comes in our gate). But I will do the rest. I like "eat."

Little senior with a gray muzzle -- but he's open to training just like a pup or a green young adult! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.