Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mabuhay Carmela,
I liked the second video where you showed some very confident handler skills when your dog slipped and you let him work thru that instead of helping him up. It looked like you where in control,very good
Welcome on board
Robert

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coaching

Thanks everyone. I'd like to hear your thoughts on "coaching" during an exercise. I was wondering if I could still cut down the coaxing. I do like to talk to my dog when he seems to be stressing but I was wondering if that could lead to distracting him.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Re: Coaching

Carmela Balcazar said:
Thanks everyone. I'd like to hear your thoughts on "coaching" during an exercise. I was wondering if I could still cut down the coaxing. I do like to talk to my dog when he seems to be stressing but I was wondering if that could lead to distracting him.
I think that depends on the individual dog. Some seem to respond to the encouragement. Others need to work it out for them self.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was wondering if I could still cut down the coaxing. I do like to talk to my dog when he seems to be stressing but I was wondering if that could lead to distracting him.
The goal is to eliminate the coaxing...and for your dog to be focused on the task. So coax less every time, if you can. If while you pursue that goal you need to coax, the only thing to be aware of is your dog. If he becomes hectic or begins looking at you, use a more soothing voice and less of it. If the obstacle requires a lot of effort and is reasonably safe, you can use more encouragement, etc.

It seems to me you're doing just fine.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Actually I look at it as communicating and not coaxing but that may be arguing semantics.

The goal is not to reduce the "coaxing" but to make the "communication" more subtle.It is true that you can distract the dog but you can also be there for assistance.Its called "teamwork".

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Greg Long said:
Actually I look at it as communicating and not coaxing but that may be arguing semantics.

The goal is not to reduce the "coaxing" but to make the "communication" more subtle.It is true that you can distract the dog but you can also be there for assistance.Its called "teamwork".
I wondered about the "coaxing" word, too. I guess I do a lot of encouragement (my word! :lol: ) with my own dogs.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Lyn Chen said:
I "coax" when the dog is doing something right. That way he knows what's right and what's wrong.
Isn't that more like praise and encourage?

This is really semantics, I guess..... I guess I think of "coax" sort of like "plead."

·
Registered
538 Posts
I view coax as something like encouragement--soothing and relaxing for the dog...but basically I talk to the dog in that manner if he's doing something right. If he's doing something wrong, I either say "No" in a neutral tone or let him figure it out on his own.

Praise for me is "You've done a good job!" not "You're doing a good job," if you get the difference. My dogs seem to know. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts