Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is my kid doing that

My friend has two dogs, a 150 pound great Dane, and a 250 pound English mastiff. when we go over to visit and the dogs come out to greet us, my 4Y/O little girl gets really scared and wants me to pick her up.

Anytime the dogs start running or barking my kiddo gets scared, my daughter is a little more scared of the mastiff, but still pretty scare of the dane. Why is she doing this? The dogs haven't done anything to her. When the dogs are out of sight she is fine.

Of course I will listen to my daughter and put the dogs away. I just don't understand why she's acting this way.

Also, my daughter loves dogs. We have a border collie at home and they love each other, how come she is so terrified of these dogs? Is the kid just doing this on purpose to get attention?

I I am just confused because the dean and mastiff are exactly the same as the border collie and every way in that they are very sweet and would never hurt anyone.

·
Registered
Mal
11 Posts
So wow so sorry I have children too and I have Belgian Malinios With super high prey drive and it makes for a good dog these dogs can grow up with a child and still chase after them and bite him in the butt that’s just the breed and if you get a hard dog it’s even tougher so we always have to be careful they are animals as much as we love them they have instant,

that being said your daughter’s reaction is normal I’m going to assume your daughter grew up with the border collies or lives with them every day, so there you have a kinder bond she knows everything about those border collars then she sees two huge animals running towards her weather threatening or not barking in a lower tone voice scares Her a mastiff is a monster of a dog in size and can get really big as the great Dane can and can’t look very threatening to tiny young lady scares the hell out of me and I’m 200 pounds 6 foot tall she’s just panicking and falling on instinct she’s screaming and wanting her mom-or Dad So I guarantee you one thing though if you buy puppy mastiff like let’s say an Italian mastiff and she grows up with it, that fear will fade It’s OK mom don’t panic she’ll be fine reassure her and maybe you can try to let her approach the dogs while they’re laying down you can find and work with a really good trainer they can help you out in a couple of sessions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So wow so sorry I have children too and I have Belgian Malinios With super high prey drive and it makes for a good dog these dogs can grow up with a child and still chase after them and bite him in the butt that’s just the breed and if you get a hard dog it’s even tougher so we always have to be careful they are animals as much as we love them they have instant,

that being said your daughter’s reaction is normal I’m going to assume your daughter grew up with the border collies or lives with them every day, so there you have a kinder bond she knows everything about those border collars then she sees two huge animals running towards her weather threatening or not barking in a lower tone voice scares Her a mastiff is a monster of a dog in size and can get really big as the great Dane can and can’t look very threatening to tiny young lady scares the hell out of me and I’m 200 pounds 6 foot tall she’s just panicking and falling on instinct she’s screaming and wanting her mom-or Dad So I guarantee you one thing though if you buy puppy mastiff like let’s say an Italian mastiff and she grows up with it, that fear will fade It’s OK mom don’t panic she’ll be fine reassure her and maybe you can try to let her approach the dogs while they’re laying down you can find and work with a really good trainer they can help you out in a couple of sessions
The border collie is bigger than my daughter, she actually has to look up at the border collie . And literally from the first day I brought the dog home, they started instantly getting along and she was not scared whatsoever.
All of the dogs have zero aggression, they are all super sweet. In fact the border collie is very very similar to the Dane and mastiff in every way
So I’m not understanding why she is scared of the Dane and mastiff size. She wasn’t scared of the border collie being bigger than her

1 - 4 of 4 Posts