Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Who Else is Involved in k9 SAR

Hi Nancy.

I have done SAR with one of my dobes until his health got too bad. I would like to get involved again, we really enjoyed it.

I trained him myself with the help of the Central Florida SAR Organization as a cadaver dog and got him certified through the Orange county Sheriffs Dept. k9 unit. He and I have been involved in searches all over Florida. Maybe someday soon I'll have another dobe to train in SAR.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Hey Nancy,
As We've talked before, you know I'm a former SAR person. Having trained a great little Austrailian Shepherd,and watched her go down hill when I turned her over to a new handler, then going through all the political BS with team leaders that didn't know a dogs nose from it's tail, I left SAR. Also, there are to many wannabe teams in this area and not enough understanding by the smaller Law Enforcement communities to see through all the BS when these teams just show up (scanner chasers) at search sites.
My current GSD is Fantastic at anything I ask him to do. I still keep him on his toes with cadavere training, but Schutzhund is my primary training veniue now.
I hate sounding so negative because I truely did love the SAR work, just not the people in charge that THOUGHT they understood dog training.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Jay - my advice is to get hooked up with a reputable SAR group in your area. They can teach you a lot of what you need to know. I'm not familiar with any of the groups in SC specifically, but maybe Nancy or somebody else on this forum is? If not, I can try to help you find one.

If you have any specific questions, just post them and we'll try to answer them.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jay, the question would be are you interested in Wilderness or Disaster
There are several Wilderness teams I know of

Our is in Spartanburg, there is another in Charleston and a third in Swansea. I know there are a number of teams in GA

We have done cooperative search work wtih the Charleston team and think they are serious and professional. One of their members is a NAPWDA Master trainer in Narc & Cadaver (and also something else)

The team in Swansea is the STARR team and would be closest to you. We have not done that much with them.

There is also someone in Hilton Head who is ex US&R but I am not sure of anything about him.

·
Registered
827 Posts
It would be easier for me to train in wilderness and I think that I would prefer that. Earlier I looked at a webite for SAR in Spartanburg, is that who you are with? Do you all have a site. I have family in Spartanburg and it is only about two hours away. My pup is young now but I would like to come and see what you do and how you train. Have you seen many coonhonds do this?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
www.scsarda.org

We are based in Spartanburg and regularly train from Greenville to Kings Mountain and down near lake Monticello.

I have not seen any coonhounds personally and hounds are not something we have much real experience with, but - I am assuming you will have a vocal trailing dog since SLED uses Redbone-Bloodhound crosses [they sing on the trail and bite at the end]

There are resources to help though:

Denver Holder of NCSARDA is an old coonhound person (he currently works labs) and he may be a valuable resource - and they also have bloodhound handlers on their team. We have used them for help as we are a much younger team, and train with them some. NCSARDA has been around for 25 years [if anyone here ever took MLPI - the case study - was Denver's first search and he was the one who found him]

We are training one on one with Chris Weeks who is on the REDs team in Raleigh and is also LE - he cut his teeth learning to train bomb dogs at Lackland AFB and helps us with trailing and cadaver.

You are more than welcome to come and visit - you need to set up when by emailing [email protected] - but wait a few days - we just moved to a new web host and are ironing out some problems with our email acct. and some PDF files that are not loading. (like the one for new applicant information) - PM me with an email address and I can email you THAT document

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey John, welcome.

Guzo still up there? I hear he is getting married (or already is) you can send him back our way when you are done with him.

·
Banned
329 Posts
I used to be involved in SAR training and a volunteer group in our area. My experience was terrible with that group. There are so many people who would really do a great job at SAR and take it seriously, but I did not find that in my area. It's too bad. There where a lot of dogs showing up that were timid, low prey drive, or low prey drive and sharp or dog aggressive. None had the correct temperament and prey needed. As I trained my dogs, I sold them out to working people (government agencies) who used their talents. I left the group quickly and just do my own thing now.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sad to say I have seen a lot of that

I washed my first dog because he was just not confident around strange people, particularly men and was fear aggressive with dogs. Also timid about the dark-stange things etc. So he is a pet with a lot of prey drive and health problems to boot (allergies, PF - sigh - well, he is a committment and we love him )

Have seen a lot worse out there than him being trained by people. At a seminar - two dogs who actively hid behind their owners and would not take food or toy from a stanger - not exactly what you want in a SAR dog.

So far the only flaw I have found in Grim is that he does hunker down a bit when her first gets on a slick WHITE floor. He recovers pretty quickly but nothing else bothers him (bleachers, steps, ramps, tunnels, rock piles, pallet piles, dark old warehouses (he can handle a slick white floor just find in the dark :) :) )

The only problem with Cyra is her bitchy attitude around other dogs but she is not a killer. Not very dog social though but can work around them, she can even run free with a group but is a bit snarky about her space.

Grim could give a rats rear end about other dogs other than he likes to sniff them and savor female dogs urine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and new to SAR. I have been with a team in NJ for about a year. I was a 'volunteer' until about 3 months ago when I became a trainee member. At this point its time to get my SARTEC stuff in order.

The team I am on is Wilderness/cadaver/water. Most of the members also do urban/disaster with NJTF-1, and I am pretty sure I will go that way too. Not much live find wilderness searches in NJ :lol:

Griffin is 20months old and is east german working lines shepherd. He is a lot of fun to work and a good boy at home (now that he has stopped chewing on my door frames.....).

So we are newbies who are having a lot of fun figuring this training out!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm also a newbie for SAR. Fact is, the concept of the use of dogs for SAR work is so new in my country that we have no certified k9 teams as of yet. I joined one organization but wasn't happy and comfortable with the way the training went and some of their policies.

The Philippines is situated in the Ring of Fire in the Pacific and natural disasters are a common occurence here. Hurricanes, mudslides, earthquakes, floods, landslides, & volcanic eruptions are part of the natural scene. In catastrophic events, we have to rely on international aid and that takes time. So a few of us have decided to try to train for it and hopefully achieve our goal of being certified.

My present dog (czech gsd) is being trained for wilderness, specifically trailing. I will soon have another gsd who I will train to airscent. As our country has rather unique, if not challenging conditions, I hope I can tap into everyone's experience to help us attain our goal on being a well-trained k9 team.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts