Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I'd be interested to hear the answer to this question as well. Pictures rarely show off a red sable's true beauty. We have one named Jaguar at our club (well, his owner doesn't ever bring him anymore, but I did get to see him once) and he is gorgeous, but none of the pics I took of him really captured his coloring well.

I don't think I have them on this computer. If I find them, I'll post them.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I'm not sure which lines produce this red sable.
I do know that if you breed a sable to a rich red and black saddle back your chances are that you MAY produce this red sable in a puppy.
Two sables will produce sables.
A sable bred to a black and tan will produce either.

Here's a link to color and hair lenght. http://www.nwk9.com/type_comparison.htm

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
That looks like a nice site, Jerry, had not seen that before. Great link to GSD types there. Thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
A contact of mine has a super nice DDR male that he calls a red sable.He looks like a black sable to me.I mean hes really dark!He imported the dog from Germany and the lines are not what most people in the states would recognize.Ill try to find the ped.

I bred a fairly light Blk/Tn once to a dark sable female.Half the litter was blk/tn with good pigment and half the litter was sable.One pup was a really nice dark sable.Does that say anything about the Blk/tn male's genes?Or was the sable gene from the female just that dominant?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.