Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the loop for a while. Wondering what clubs are in central MI. I'm in the Saginaw area (east MI)

Thanks!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Ted. I do SchH training in Lansing, there's a group in Dewitt, north of Lansing, that does FR. In St. Johns there is a group who does PP and the UKC SDA stuff.

Are you looking for anything in particular?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Pauline,

Actually, there seems to be some interest in a PSA group forming up this way. I have some e-mails out to some folks to see if there's interest.

If you know of anyone in the Saginaw, MI area that might be interested, I'd be grateful to know about them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Alegria,

There are a couple of clubs in your immediate area already! You could start a thread and they'll come forward.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having a tough time finding groups that will tolerate non-sport members. Good decoys are in short supply, as they may be everywhere.

Just looking for PP work. It would be soooo ideal to find a core training group, and then also add some travel to other clubs to mix up the decoys and environment.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I understand that it interrupts the normal club flow. Maybe PPD requires different training philosophies. Like in ScH you would prefer a dog to pull, while in PPD you would prefer a push.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the group dynamics of a club, and it would be great to find a small group of people with the same goals as me, but I'm not finding this.

I would thing that Police K-9 would be looking for this as well. Do they typically fall into sport training?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
i was told not to bother with training with K-9's as it's basically maintenence training, not "training" training, ie they don't use helpers/decoys that are professionals, the officers just take turns at being the "bad guys".

but that's just in my middle-of-nowhere part of the world....

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
i was told not to bother with training with K-9's as it's basically maintenence training, not "training" training, ie they don't use helpers/decoys that are professionals, the officers just take turns at being the "bad guys".

but that's just in my middle-of-nowhere part of the world....
With maintenency training, it's my experience that's the way it's normall done. Actually, you don't want to see how good a "professional" decoy can make the dog at this point. You want to see what the dog is capable of doing regardless of what else is going on.

DFrost

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have decided to train Rade for Personal Protection. I'm looking for somewhere to train as well (as I've mentioned before, but now I have specific goals in mind that are similar to yours, Ted). I've been trying to come in contact with my previous trainer but havent spoken to him in a while, and his number is changed so I have to track him down. He is a great trainer (former head of the Detroit K9 unit), but its really far (in Columbiaville, Michigan) and I was looking for something closer, but I guess a few trips a month wouldnt kill me. When I do come in cotact with him, I would be happy to PM you, Ted (or anyone interested) with the details.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts