Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a service dog prospect for seizure response/mobility/psychiatric and am torn between what breed to get. These are some of my requirements
1. A larger breed is a must as I’ll need medium mobility and will need to be able to catch me if I fall.
2. Will be happy to just lay around and cuddle but also have enough energy to be able to work for longer periods of time.
3. Preferably a fluffy breed. Will be able to spend the time brushing and taking him to the groomers

Preferably not a lab/golden as I’ve had a golden in the past and they just have too much energy for me but would be willing to give the breed another chance if needed.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
?? i've yet to see a dog that can catch an adult if they fall. a smart dog will probably get out of the way to avoid injuring themselves and then return to the owner to see what's wrong. i've never heard of this being trained either; have you ?

also, labs and goldens are not created equal. THOUSANDS of both breeds are quite capable of being service dogs and are are not hyper and overly energetic and are performing valuable service for disabled people all over the world. i suspect your biased based on a bad experience you had but that should not cause you to mistrust these breeds. there is a reason they have been chosen as companions and service dogs, and that is based largely on their even temperament and willingness to work for their owners

fluffyness may make you feel good but it's never been a criteria for a service dog, and i suspect there is a good reason why :)

find a professional and let them match a good dog for your needs based on the dog's working ability not their outward appearance. in the meantime do some self study on service dogs......how they are selected and how they are trained, etc

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would suggest a Great Pyrenees they are large and gentle they are a stock protection dog or that’s what they were originally bred for. They are also fluffy and have like looking white coats if you don’t mind keeping them groomed. They can be aloof with strangers and other animals (strange dogs) so socialization wary with TONs of people and other dogs a must. Due to their size I highly suggest also starting obedience early.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Most of the folks I know that are looking for a dog to catch them tend to lean toward large breeds like a great dane. Mostly because they are tall enough for a grown human to lean against without having to bend over. I would suggest you get with a reputable service dog organization and discuss with them your needs and see what they can offer. You don't have to take the offer but you can learn what your options are with the various breeds.

Reactions: destiny_olivia
1 - 4 of 4 Posts