Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
My father sent some bluetick pups out to learn this. You could use any of the coonhounds, as the cats run and go to tree in most situations. I won't say all, I have only went to hunt with those pups my father sent out. We found the cougar in a 12 foot tree lookin real stupid.

We took some pictures and left. Probably should have culled that one for being a retard, but hey, I was really young

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Redbone is a popular breed for big cats. Plott also. As Jeff said, any good hound could learn.
In one of my books is a neat old oil painting of a pack of hounds with an Airedale and what looks like a rat terrier.
The edgyness of the cat wil cause it to tree even from a small dog.
If it decides to come down is another story.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I know of one guy that uses them to hunt cougars out in New Mexico. I think he uses blues and walkers. Any of them can do it, I guess its like anything else, they just have to be trained for it.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Just now finished watching a program on National Geographic channel about cougar attacks on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. In this instance it looked like they had a couple of Blueticks to track them.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting stuff. I think a few hounds in the UP (Michigan) just got killed tracking bear. Wolves ended up tracking the dogs and...well, you know.

Wolves 1, Dogs 0.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Man, I went to bed right before that show come one, it kept showing the previews for it, saying it was coming on next. Now I wished I watched it, I would have liked to see and hear about their blueticks. :?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have heard Black Mouth Curs are good for dangerous game as well as Plotts.Although I would think Airedales would be as good as any.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
jay lyda said:
Man, I went to bed right before that show come one, it kept showing the previews for it, saying it was coming on next. Now I wished I watched it, I would have liked to see and hear about their blueticks. :?
Jay, the shots with the Blue Ticks were really quick and didn't go into anything much at all about the dogs other then they tracked the cats.
Otherwise good program.

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
It really doesn't matter what kind of hound, or dog, if he has the desire. Some dogs naturally prefer bears, some, cats will drive them wild. The stupid ones are quickly culled by the cat, hog, bear or whatever, the weak quit and are culled by the owner, the ones that have it are still there. That is why hounds rule in tracking game for hours on end.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Don Turnipseed said:
It really doesn't matter what kind of hound, or dog, if he has the desire. Some dogs naturally prefer bears, some, cats will drive them wild. The stupid ones are quickly culled by the cat, hog, bear or whatever, the weak quit and are culled by the owner, the ones that have it are still there. That is why hounds rule in tracking game for hours on end.
My old JRT was awesome in the ground with a **** but would dern near turn and run from a possum. Go figure! Bad expierience with a nasty possum as a pup and I though he was ruined. Luckilly he didn't connect that to other critters. :lol: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts