Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pups are now 6 days old and I want to start getting them used to new smells, touch, etc. What kinds of things can I start doing with them other than holding them?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Play books on tape, epecially self help guides, to build confidence :lol:

What are your goals for the litter, and will you be selecting any to further breed? If you don't have working homes lined up or if you are selecting for further breeding and want to examine natural drive levels, I would advise not to build them up, but other non-drive affecting imprinting can be done in the 4-6 week range. Early stimulation itself is not bad, but overdoing the suddeness or magnitude of these methods could have a lasting detrimental effect. Depending on what specifically you do, early stims might affect drives (or aversions) also, which you may or may not want. Do you already know the amount/kinds of interaction the dam will/won't have with the pups as they grow? There is in my view, two categories to these methods, but both can be rather interelated in their effects.

1. Exposure: early neurological stimulation, environmental sensory stimulation

2. Interaction: imprinting methods, social stimulation

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I'm a big fan of the early neurological stumulation. My dog Thunder is a product of it.
Just keep in mind what Daryl said. To much can have the opposite effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts