Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity. I'm looking around, found a few good breeders who have little to no ethics(good thing) which think culling, etc is okay. From what I've seen and know about the giant breeds, I've been leaning towards getting a Saint Bernard(male/intact). I'm aware of the epilepsy factor, and the breeder has had no epilepsy in the lines so far, nor any of the new blood she has flew in.

I've thought about an English or American mastiff, but.. I just don't know. My friend's mastiff is fat and lazy which is most likely caused by lack of exercise. The dog has also developed several fatty tumors, which kinda scare me about the genetics. I've thought maybe from the food or because he was neutered so early, but think the cause is most likely genetically passed. I don't mind hair, and certainly wouldn't mind drool.

Can you think of any other breeds which do alright in the cold and can do work(pulling, carrying)?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
and not sure why Swiss Mountain Dogs wouldn't do well?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Where is all the Chuck Norris stuff coming from?

There are lots of dogs to choose from. Anatolian Shepherds, Caucasian Mountain dogs, Bernese Mountain dogs. Tibetan Mastiffs. Except for the Bernese, I don't think that health problems are an issue.
Yeah, Anatolians would be interesting, too. I have no idea about trainability of any of the mastiffs for pulling stuff. The presas at the kennel I train at seem like they can do all kinds of stuff, neat dogs. No issues with cold that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Tim Martens said:
chuck norris' tears can cure cancer, but since he has NEVER cried, it's a moot point...
The leading causes of death in the United States are: 1. Heart Disease 2. Chuck Norris 3. Cancer

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse-kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
It's an old internet goof. I found a list of them the other day and it made me laugh again.

True statement: I was in France a few years ago..."Walker Texas Ranger" was, at that time, in the top ten shows in France. Which made me laugh out loud and confirmed just how awesome Chuck Norris is.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Where is all the Chuck Norris stuff coming from?

There are lots of dogs to choose from. Anatolian Shepherds, Caucasian Mountain dogs, Bernese Mountain dogs. Tibetan Mastiffs. Except for the Bernese, I don't think that health problems are an issue.
Anatolian wouldn't do well because of the "always increasing territory". I'm not sure if it is possible to train a Anatolian to stay in a certain unfenced area. Unless I hear otherwise this dog isn't a good dog for my situation.

I live near a church and there are many kids. I will have a fenced area soon, but I do like dogs to run with one another on the 20 acres of private forest.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Inuit Dogs or Greenland Husky(basically the same thing)freighting -bred Alaskan Husky, some of the livestock guarding breeds - Anatolians or Akbash dogs - basically anything that is a purpose bred working dog as opposed to show/pet breeding. I would stay way from "giant" anything as the bigger you get the more health problems come with it and generally have low activity levels and lack stamina. Don't forget that there are alot of nice large mixed bred dogs in shelters that are perfectly capable of some "work".
Also some hunting breed dogs would do well - labs are very good strong all around workers and a good lab is a very versatile and trainable dog. And I have seen Chessies in harness also. Also keep in mind that alot of modern-bred Saint Bernard, etc have more haircoat on them due to show breeding. Lots of hair does not always constitute warm if it is not of the correct texture(it snowballs). Same goes for feet and alot of other things - dogs that were traditionally working dogs have been ruined and watered down and are incapable of their traditional work so stay with working bred dogs if you can. There are still some nice Malamutes out there but again there is more show/pet breeding out there than working kennels so choose carefully.

·
Registered
357 Posts
all of the truly giant breeds have health problems and short lifespans. The "smaller" giant breeds that are healthier in my experience are Anatolians, Bernese, Swissies (temperament problems to watch for with the Swissies though), and most of the "smaller" mastiffs. The bigger they are, the more problems they seem to have and the shorter their lifespans seem to be due to those problems.

St. Bernards have MANY problems, not only epilepsy. I have yet to meet one with good hips - most I have met have had total hip replacements before they were 2 years old. Skin problems/allergies, bad teeth, bad eyes, bad temperament. Lots and lots of drool and hair. Same could be said about the English Mastiffs, though most I have known had reasonable if aloof temperaments, and of course less hair.
I don't personally like the temperaments of the smaller mastiff breeds such as Corso, Bordeaux, Fila, etc. They are too sharp/shy and then aggressive-no warning IMO.
molly

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
<<I'm looking around, found a few good breeders who have little to no ethics(good thing) which think culling, etc is okay.>>

Sorry just couldn't let this go by. Personally, I don't think culling shows a lack of ethics. Perhaps not PC, certainly somthing that is not publicized outside the dog world, but not a lack of ethics.

<<<Now back to your regularly scheduled question about pulling dogs>>>

DFrost

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Molly Graf said:
all of the truly giant breeds have health problems and short lifespans. The "smaller" giant breeds that are healthier in my experience are Anatolians, Bernese, Swissies (temperament problems to watch for with the Swissies though), and most of the "smaller" mastiffs. The bigger they are, the more problems they seem to have and the shorter their lifespans seem to be due to those problems.

St. Bernards have MANY problems, not only epilepsy. I have yet to meet one with good hips - most I have met have had total hip replacements before they were 2 years old. Skin problems/allergies, bad teeth, bad eyes, bad temperament. Lots and lots of drool and hair. Same could be said about the English Mastiffs, though most I have known had reasonable if aloof temperaments, and of course less hair.
I don't personally like the temperaments of the smaller mastiff breeds such as Corso, Bordeaux, Fila, etc. They are too sharp/shy and then aggressive-no warning IMO.
molly
Oh, I know there are other problems saints have, but I think epilepsy is one of the worst. There is a local breeder about 600 miles away at North Pole. I believe she knows what she is talking about and is very picky on what saints she breeds.

I'm looking for a dog which can do work, doesn't have to do it all day. Also a running partner but take mind my knee is going bad so how much exercise(try 3 times a day) I can perform is up to my knee.

I'll have a look at the breeds you mentioned, except the ana. From what I've gathered even from the most respectable ana breeders is the dogs have an increasing territory. This is bad as I try to allow free roaming during supervision with other dogs, and there are several children at the church.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Molly Graf said:
molly
I'm very impressed with the Presas at the kennel I train at--Red Star Kennels--they seem to be very sound, trainable, and neat dogs. Not a dog for everybody (not for most everyone, IMO).

I really don't know anything about Filas but not sure I'd ever want anything like that around me. They sound neat, but no way. Maybe if I get that cabin up in Montana the Unabomber used to have.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
David Frost said:
<<I'm looking around, found a few good breeders who have little to no ethics(good thing) which think culling, etc is okay.>>

Sorry just couldn't let this go by. Personally, I don't think culling shows a lack of ethics. Perhaps not PC, certainly somthing that is not publicized outside the dog world, but not a lack of ethics.

<<<Now>>>

DFrost
my apologies if I used the wrong word. Someone one a very very bad PETA-filled forum told me I had no ethics.

I think culling is good animal management, others might say otherwise, I ignore them.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
David Ross said:
I'll have a look at the breeds you mentioned, except the ana. From what I've gathered even from the most respectable ana breeders is the dogs have an increasing territory. This is bad as I try to allow free roaming during supervision with other dogs, and there are several children at the church.
I would start any searches for Presas at Red Star Kennel.

http://www.red-star-kennel.com/default-frames.htm

Mark Keating (trainer) is a member here, though I don't think he checks his email much. I'm out there this Sunday, etc. so let me know if anything's interesting to you. I think they are neat dogs out there. Just played with some pups they had two weeks ago.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I always sort of admired Great Pyranese dogs.Around here people have quite a few goats(I hate goats BTW) and they have these Pyranese/St B crosses that keep the undesirables out.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts