Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new here, i live in israel. I intend to buy a labrdor puppy to use as a psychiatric assistance dog for me. I don't know which trainer to choose in oredr him to help me pick the right puppy and then also train him for my needs. Can you please tell me which certification and what is the best school in the world for that matter? so i'll know how to chose my trainer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new here, i live in israel. I intend to buy a labrdor puppy to use as a psychiatric assistance dog for me. I don't know which trainer to choose in oredr him to help me pick the right puppy and then also train him for my needs. Can you please tell me which certification and what is the best school in the world for that matter? so i'll know how to chose my trainer?

Thanks.

Hi. First of all, you very much need to locate a Lab breeder whose dogs are often capable of that type of work, if you want to do this for yourself as opposed to paying for an already-trained specific assistance dog.

The breeder shouldn't be breeding field-trial stock (not sure if that is popular in Israel or not). Make sure you go to a REPUTABLE breeder - a person involved in breed clubs, obedience, etc. The parents should be titled & have health certifications for hips/elbows, etc. - otherwise the dog will be of little good to you if it itself is not healthy. The breeder should be able to do temperament testing on the litter to try to ascertain with you - what pup will mostly likely, at least at that point in time, is best suited for work such as that. If some of their progeny have been used as therapy dogs for hospitals, etc. or partake in obedience trials - the more the better - most likely this dog should be a great match for you.

Good luck to you & to your nation - and please do NOT go to a "back yard breeder" because it will be "less expensive" - save up if need be & you'll wind up with a great companion & assistance dog!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. First of all, you very much need to locate a Lab breeder whose dogs are often capable of that type of work, if you want to do this for yourself as opposed to paying for an already-trained specific assistance dog.

The breeder shouldn't be breeding field-trial stock (not sure if that is popular in Israel or not). Make sure you go to a REPUTABLE breeder - a person involved in breed clubs, obedience, etc. The parents should be titled & have health certifications for hips/elbows, etc. - otherwise the dog will be of little good to you if it itself is not healthy. The breeder should be able to do temperament testing on the litter to try to ascertain with you - what pup will mostly likely, at least at that point in time, is best suited for work such as that. If some of their progeny have been used as therapy dogs for hospitals, etc. or partake in obedience trials - the more the better - most likely this dog should be a great match for you.

Good luck to you & to your nation - and please do NOT go to a "back yard breeder" because it will be "less expensive" - save up if need be & you'll wind up with a great companion & assistance dog!
First of all, thank you very much for your answer.

Yes, in israel there’s only 1 professional institute who train’s psychiatric dogs. The problem is that the dogs are not FCI or any official documents for been pure labrador. Also, about 1 year waiting for a traind dog and much more expensive process .

So, my only option is of curse buying from an official and approved lab kennel and that is what i do. But again, for the specific training that i need, there isn’t a lot of trainers in israel who know how to do that.

That is why I’ve asked if there’s an certificate or a specific school in the world that my training should have or studied at.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all, thank you very much for your answer.

Yes, in israel there’s only 1 professional institute who train’s psychiatric dogs. The problem is that the dogs are not FCI or any official documents for been pure labrador. Also, about 1 year waiting for a traind dog and much more expensive process .

So, my only option is of curse buying from an official and approved lab kennel and that is what i do. But again, for the specific training that i need, there isn’t a lot of trainers in israel who know how to do that.

That is why I’ve asked if there’s an certificate or a specific school in the world that my training should have or studied at.

Thanks.

Have you thought about having a nice pup or dog imported? As far as the schools or training facilities, have you tried an internet search? In the U.S., I know there are sites that offer the facilities you are looking for. I have no idea if they import or not, but I presume they would provide a fully trained dog at least.

I wish you the best.

Kathy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you thought about having a nice pup or dog imported? As far as the schools or training facilities, have you tried an internet search? In the U.S., I know there are sites that offer the facilities you are looking for. I have no idea if they import or not, but I presume they would provide a fully trained dog at least.

I wish you the best.

Kathy
Actually I thought about it, but it’s probably very complicated process and super expensive, assuming 2-4 tims more then buying a puppy here. Do you know of such place on the us? Maybe worth to check anyway. But very good and reliable place that gives a warranty and has all tje certifications.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually I thought about it, but it’s probably very complicated process and super expensive, assuming 2-4 tims more then buying a puppy here. Do you know of such place on the us? Maybe worth to check anyway. But very good and reliable place that gives a warranty and has all tje certifications.
I'm sorry I don't have any idea about who is reputable here & who is not - but I'm sure there are other experienced members on this who would know. Maybe they'll give a shout-out. Can you perhaps garner any information from maybe a veteran's organization you might have there or even orgs that help disabled people? I wish you the very best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is possible to train the dog yourself, though I don't know what the laws are regarding service animals and training in Israel. I am an admin for a large owner-trained service dog group on Facebook and many of our members have trained psychiatric service dogs for themselves. There is a multitude of trainers that can help you via Facetime or similar types of internet calls. There is not really one specific school I can say is The One that a trainer should have gone to as there are so many, and not all good trainers went to a school.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is possible to train the dog yourself, though I don't know what the laws are regarding service animals and training in Israel. I am an admin for a large owner-trained service dog group on Facebook and many of our members have trained psychiatric service dogs for themselves. There is a multitude of trainers that can help you via Facetime or similar types of internet calls. There is not really one specific school I can say is The One that a trainer should have gone to as there are so many, and not all good trainers went to a school.
I hope this helps.
Hi,

thank you for your answer. I see, but I’m not actually interested on self training, I don’t have the time or the passion to do so. A professional trainer is good enough for me.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Hi,

thank you for your answer. I see, but I’m not actually interested on self training, I don’t have the time or the passion to do so. A professional trainer is good enough for me.

Thanks anyway.
i understand your problem with self training but with that said, you REALLY need to realize your dog will learn from you MUCH more than it will ever learn from a part time or semi-full time trainer, and that even includes boarding and training. a trainer who will train YOU how to handle your dog is the best trainer to employ. i say this after a few decades of dog training ranging from training working dogs for the military as well as training family pets. it applies to every situation. good luck. your dog will learn from your actions and behavior 24/7/365, as long as it is living with you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i understand your problem with self training but with that said, you REALLY need to realize your dog will learn from you MUCH more than it will ever learn from a part time or semi-full time trainer, and that even includes boarding and training. a trainer who will train YOU how to handle your dog is the best trainer to employ. i say this after a few decades of dog training ranging from training working dogs for the military as well as training family pets. it applies to every situation. good luck. your dog will learn from your actions and behavior 24/7/365, as long as it is living with you
Thank you .

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
did you find a solution to your problem ?
if you can create a close bond with your dog, by developing a high degree of mutual trust and respect, you will have a dog who can help you get thru tough times. this is easy to say but hard to do. fortunately there are MANY systems out there you can learn to accomplish this goal. you might want to start by watching some of the great Michael Ellis dvds. you can also learn a LOT by reading "Culture Clash"; a fantastic book on canine behavior. but without a solid knowledge of canine behavior and a system you can apply you will never get there !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts