Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure by now you've all heard of the Old Navy mascot contest. My dogs are entered and I was going through the GSD competition. Now when you enter there is a drop down menu with available dog breeds on it under the "breed" category of the form; German shepherd dog is a choice.

Except there are about 4-5 pages worth of German shepards/German shaeperds/German sheppards etc. HOW COULD YOU SCREW THIS UP??? There is an option to put the dog's breed in yourself.

Why do so many people own SHEPHERDS if they can't spell the dang word?

If you want to see for yourself go to http://www.oldnavy.com and click on teh doggie contest in teh bottom right corner. Click "see the competition," click on "sort alphabetically by breed" in teh upper right corner, change it to view 48 dogs at once (in teh upper left corner) and then start wtih page 665 about halfway down.

Yes I'm being nitpicky but how do these people expect to win a contest if they don't even know what breed their dog is????? Guess I should give 'em a break since our vet in GERMANY couldn't spell it either: my dog's record reads "Achilles, canine, German sheppard." :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I went throgh it and there are no less than TEN pages of mis-spellings, 48 dogs per page. My faith in the American school system is waning!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
Connie Sutherland said:
Stacia Porter said:
Okay, I went throgh it and there are no less than TEN pages of mis-spellings, 48 dogs per page. My faith in the American school system is waning!!!!!
No FEWER.

:lol: Just teasin' you.
Oh -- and you misspelled "through."

:twisted: :twisted:
I'm hyped up on cold meds Ms. Connie! Now what's the excuse for the owners of those 480 dogs??? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
Stacia Porter said:
.....I'm hyped up on cold meds Ms. Connie! Now what's the excuse for the owners of those 480 dogs??? lol
I know........ I'm having an evil Monday. :oops: :lol:
I'm having an arthritic one :cry: I really hate rainy season. My hands almost completely seize up on me some days! I can't even seem to manipulate a crochet hook to waste some of my time LOL.

And if anyone's curious, my dogs are on page 688 if you follow the above instructions: Andromeda is first, and the Achilles (both from Hickory, NC). I highly doubt we'll get chosen to be in teh running but darnit it was worth a try LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,452 Posts
Now, you have to go to page 666 to find any sheppies, and there are only a few at the bottom.

I thought THIS DOG was just hilarious! What ears!!

This person obviously just wanted their dog to be 'different.' I don't see ANY wolf in her at all. I wonder if PA is one of those states where it's illegal to own wolves or wolfdogs!? http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/info.do?cid=15027&mlink=5151,391086&clink=391086&affiliate_id=1a

Don't be totally upset about the spelling (shepard :roll: ), because lo and behold, it isn't just shepherd that people can't spell. Beagle (or Beagal) must be a hard one, too!


Stacia, you can't be old enough to have arthritis already! Just be glad you don't live in Asheville, because then you'd really be hurting, since it rains EVERY FREAKING DAY. :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kristen Cabe said:
Now, you have to go to page 666 to find any sheppies, and there are only a few at the bottom.

I thought THIS DOG was just hilarious! What ears!!

This person obviously just wanted their dog to be 'different.' I don't see ANY wolf in her at all. I wonder if PA is one of those states where it's illegal to own wolves or wolfdogs!? http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/info.do?cid=15027&mlink=5151,391086&clink=391086&affiliate_id=1a

Don't be totally upset about the spelling (shepard :roll: ), because lo and behold, it isn't just shepherd that people can't spell. Beagle (or Beagal) must be a hard one, too!


Stacia, you can't be old enough to have arthritis already! Just be glad you don't live in Asheville, because then you'd really be hurting, since it rains EVERY FREAKING DAY. :evil:
Aw, just as I get the page numbers people enter MORE dogs. Dang it.

Cant' spell beagle either? Why am I not surprised.

Tell my body I'm too old to have arthritis! It gets worse every year I'm afraid. It actually stems from myofasical pain syndrome in my left shoulder and neck that has escalated into fibromyalgia and now arthritis in some of the joints of my fingers. It's riduculous...

You all can KEEP your rain rofl! It looks like it wants to here but it doesn't always do it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nancy Jocoy said:
Any Datsuns or Rockwallers?
Strangely enough, no! I have just been through about 15 pages of dachshunds, all spelled correctly! But there are some ODD dachshund mixes. I just saw dachshund/GSD, dachshund/lab, dachshund/basenji. I'm not sure I actually believe some of them. Testament to the stupidity of man?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Actually if it doesnt say "German Shepherd's dog" it isnt correct.Some may think this to be a little picky but it really is the proper term and the only way you can at least show the breed the respect it deserves.

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greg Long said:
Actually if it doesnt say "German Shepherd's dog" it isnt correct.Some may think this to be a little picky but it really is the proper term and the only way you can at least show the breed the respect it deserves.

Greg
LOL Greg. Rest assured that both of mine read "German shepherd dog." :wink: . You're very correct...

I don't think I have a chance at winning. They feature dogs on the "Dog We Dig" section and today's is a chihuahua mix of some sort named Remy. I just don't think my babies are Old Navy mascot material :( .

BTW, I also found Carbon, Sarah!!!! Man is he adorable!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,210 Posts
Greg Long said:
Actually if it doesnt say "German Shepherd's dog" it isnt correct.Some may think this to be a little picky but it really is the proper term and the only way you can at least show the breed the respect it deserves.

Greg
I did not know that!

Here's an excerpt from http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?noframes;read=79289

THE GERMAN SHEPHERD's Dog

The German Shepherd dog is a highly intelligent, versatile working animal. He is world renowned for his use in war efforts as sentry dog, search dog, and tactical deployment dog. His ability to herd, to protect, and to guard made the German Shepherd the most widely used guardian and protector of home and flock. The correct name for this dog is The German Shepherd's Dog, as in the dog of the German Shepherd. ...... END QUOTE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, the possessive is not necessary. "German shepherd dog" is simply a direct translation of the official name for the dog in Germany: Deutsche Schäferhund. The other German poochie featured on this thread, the dachshund, translates directly to "badger dog." By that excerpt's translation it would be "badger's dog"? The AKC official breed name is also German shepherd dog. I've never seen the possessive necessary.

BTW, after more persual, I've found a nice bunch of designer breeds. Plenty of maltipoos, cockapoos, labradoodles, and even a dalabrador (dalmatian/lab mix). Lots of other wierd combos. Some are mind boggling...[/b]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kristen Cabe said:
I think I'll just enter Jak as an Alsatian instead. LoL
ROFL Kristen! You're WRONG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
I found a few "Dotsun" and "Dochund" dogs! Haha, I swear.... :roll:
Carbon and Gretchen are both entered, though I'm sure neither will win. Especially Gretchen because some people think she isn't pretty. :(
I also found an "Alaskin" Malamute, an"Ewok" ( :p ), a few cats, Flat Coat "Retreaver", "Boarder" Collies, "Foux" Hound, and a "doxhound".
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top