Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was quite the storm & controversy on another message board having to do with someones dog being shot by an officer of the law. I am not wanting to get into that particular incident (because no one really knows what happened), but it did bring up something that has been bothering me for a few days now. A number of posters made it sound as if it is not an uncommon situation for officers to shoot a homeowners dog in their yard if the officer is chasing a fleeing suspect & the suspect tries to escape by cutting through peoples property (& the dog goes after the officer). Is this really a common occurence? Somehow I really doubt it, but I need to hear it from you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
it's not "common" susan. could it happen? yes. most of the time, when a guy runs, we'll set up a perimeter and conduct yard to yard searches. we will make every effort to contact the homeowner to: a) let them know that we will be in their backyard so they don't come out and shoot us, b) ask them if they have any pets and if they do, to bring them inside.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I'll just add to Tim's response saying; in my experience it is a rare occurance as well. Working drugs, and serving warrants on drug houses can, at times be dicey. Seems every wannabe thug has a mean pitbull. Even then it's rare that one is shot. Our SWAT carries a tranquilizer gun, just in case. We've had one incident of shooting a dog on a roadside stop that I'm aware of in the past 20 years. Can it happen? As Tim said, it's possible. It is a very rare occurance though.

DFrost

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
it's not "common" susan. could it happen? yes. most of the time, when a guy runs, we'll set up a perimeter and conduct yard to yard searches. we will make every effort to contact the homeowner to: a) let them know that we will be in their backyard so they don't come out and shoot us, b) ask them if they have any pets and if they do, to bring them inside.
just out of curiosity, if you're "hot" on a runner, how can dispatch possibly contact everyone within the perimeter before you're already there? or even a small # of the homeowners/renters? seems logistically fairly impossible to me, but what do i know? or do the officers on the scene actually go door-to-door? again, seems logistically "iffy"....

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Another thought that would seem to reduce the possibility of this happening.
How many bad guys will go through a yard with even an average dog in it? Not many, I think.
One of the LEOs that I know, that patrolled the neighbor(hood) I just moved out of, always joked with me about letting Thunder "hold" the bad guy till they got there. He felt that he would have a lot less problems putting on the handcuffs then. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
just out of curiosity, if you're "hot" on a runner, how can dispatch possibly contact everyone within the perimeter before you're already there? or even a small # of the homeowners/renters? seems logistically fairly impossible to me, but what do i know? or do the officers on the scene actually go door-to-door? again, seems logistically "iffy"....
that's the thing about a perimeter. if you've set a good one. time is on your side. you have all the time in the world to, yes, go door to door and if nobody answers, then we see if dispatch has a phone number for the residence. they call it and then if there is no answer, we then go in the yard. what i do in those situations is i rumble the gate and the latch pretty hard. usually if there is an aggressive dog in the yard, it will charge the gate...

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
A person running from the police uses little logic. They are scared, amped, tweaked, and with an adrenelin dump going on. They do many things one would never expect.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
A person running from the police uses little logic. They are scared, amped, tweaked, and with an adrenelin dump going on. They do many things one would never expect.

DFrost
Excellent point to dump my civilian "logic" down the tube! :lol: ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts