Working Dog Forums banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
"Barwig had been doing Sch for less than a year when she started writing the book Schutzhund: Theory and methods."

Is that really true? :eek:

The original book was just an overview, a description of schutzhund. It was published in 1978, when not too many people had any clue what schutzhund was, schutzhund didn't even come to the USA until around 1969. :roll::roll:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Maybe you need some ginkgo biloba. When the book was reworked and republished in 1991 it was with the addition of Stewart Hilliard as co-author, and at that point more actual instruction was added.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
You never give up do you? May I ask why you had to re-read it?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Jeff I don't know what your point was in bringing up the book in the first place, or what your problem is with Susan Barwig. As far as your info about her only having been in schutzhund for 1 year at the time she wrote the first book, I think you are way off, especially since the first GSD she titled to a schH III was Albanza's Uriah back in 1977.

I don't know anyone who reads or has that book, (or any book for that matter), and considers it to be the schutzhund bible. If anything, people have a soft spot for it because it was the first of it's kind in the USA.

The original one from 1978 was NOT a training manual, it wasn't even titled as such, simply "schutzhund" as it was only meant to be an introduction, an overview, of the sport. I have the original too, Jeff. It's packed up, but I will be happy to look for it next time I go to our warehouse.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
... Just went to the vet last week & he said the puppy looked amazing & at 7-months-old is right where he should be. He said so far his body is perfect. Now that things are normal again, I'm going back to raw. The vet said that I should keep the puppy on kibble for a while longer. Does anyone have experience with raw feeding & puppies? Any advice appreciated.
Have you read up on canine nutrition (critical for growing puppies)?

·
Registered
Entlebucher Mountain Dog (Sennenhund)
3 Posts
Lately i've ordering only hills prescription diet. My both dogs have a sensitive stomachs these days and we stopped with the raw food for now. Before i gave them lots of meat, veggies, porridge. I also give them only dry snacks and probiotics twice a day (vet's recommendation)

81 - 89 of 89 Posts