Working Dog Forums banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
It's not that much work to forage for my dogs food. I spent an hour dip netting one day this summer to collect about 600 fish. I was out with my dog and husband doing one of the things I enjoy most - being out in nature.

The trading just comes along with the fact that I live in AK and so freezer burnt game is often readily available. Julie's post (whose also from AK) was very similar to mine likely for the same reason - it's plentiful and cheap (read free) to feed this way. Simple fact of the matter is there's no arguing feeding raw, whole foods is a more optimal way to feed a human or animal. Some choose to, some don't. Just the way it is. I don't argue for or against either. I see no reason to.

That aside, like most of you I also pick up dog food and while there add in some canned tripe for variety. I also feed AFS Majestic Raw - a pre made package that I simply purchase in bulk, thaw and scoop out with an ice cream scoop. I dumped the run off and all right into the bowl. Not much to it. All my scraps go to the dog and when I hit the grocery store and find something different to offer I pick it up.

It's far easier than people make it out to be and less expensive with a bit of effort given to find the right sources. For those of you who have multiple dogs the most obvious benefit is fewer vet bills and less shit to clean up. FAR less on both ends. For those with indoor pets, shedding and odor is also much improved generally classified as minimal. Those are just undisputed facts.

Most of my dogs outside of being spayed or x rayed don't have medical reasons to see a vet throughout their lifetime. With the exception of my last who needed to be re-x rayed and looked at because her TH was off, she was only at the vet once prior to get spayed, x rayed, and to have an elective gastropexy. That said, my vaccination protocol is also different than most as well and I do periodically fast my dogs.

Jeff, you'd have to see what my dogs do (aside from wearing that stupid hat or laying by a remembrance tree) to have a better appreciation for why I fed them the way I have. I do it for practical reasons, plain and simple. The other benefits are just a bonus as far as I am concerned. Some people might be surprised at what I've gotten my 100+ lb shitters to do and if the context of this forum is the only way a good dog can be validated for you, then all I can say is ain't that a shame.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Have been doing pro plan (sensitive skin and coat, made with salmon + oatmeal) for my AB, but am doing Origin (large breed puppy) for my Dutchie. I have to go to a shop owned by hippies, but it looks like the best food I can get in the specialty shop or anywhere else.

I havent started yet with him (AB has gotten it) but plan to add raw chicken, raw beef with bones, raw or boiled eggs with shell, yogurt and cottage cheese. Just wondering what is the best way to give healthy oil/fat (cod liver, olive oil, etc)

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Jeff - I keep telling you that road kill is FREE. Cheaper than Pro Plan!

Although, in Texas you'd probably have to pick it up right after it was killed or else you'd have to deal with some very stinky stuff.
Only if he can beat Ma and Pa Clampett to it...

I feed Kirkland Chicken and Rice to both my idiots. It's made by Diamond (almost identical to the Diamond Naturals line), just at a Costco price. Lacey gets about 4 cups a day since she can't seem to keep weight on, though she's not thin, and I give her leftovers from dinner except cooked bones.
Jasper (golden retriever) is overweight and gets half of what my GSD gets and no leftovers.

·
Registered
495 Posts
the only real work my dog does now is informal agility. well he comes to work with me everyday but other than pulling stuff around the shop and pulling the handtruck or cart on deliveries its not "work" for him. we do run everyday and i have some agility stuff in my backyard so he gets quite a workout everyday.

i feed him a 75% or so raw diet. mostly chicken leg quaters for the RMB and MM, some ground beef heart or ground chuck for his mm, and either beef or chicken livers for his OM. Also feed alot of green tripe when i can get it. use a bit of chicken and turkey necks and backs for the RMB too. i only give him veggies because he likes them and he gets some tomatoes(raw), some sweet potatos(boiled) and some green or red peppers (raw) when they're comming out the garden.

i keep him on a few kibble meals a week so he will still eat it when we travel. sometimes feeding RAW while traveling is either impractical, impossible, or just not cool with whomever we are travelling or staying with. the first time i threw my dog a chciken leg quarter at my grandmas house she had some choice words for me...he is only allowed to eat kibble there now. he gets a locally made grain free food called "Sammy Snacks". he is on the duck and potato formula now. he gets two meals a day and over the whole week he might get four kibble meals. somtimes we get EVO red meat or TOTW salmon.

fortunately i have no kids or tons of other dogs to feed so i can keep on him the real good foods.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I got enough to think about in life. LOL I have often wondered why people would get that carried away for a scavenger.
quote]

Interestingly enough, many anthropologists believe early man was a scavenger. Modern homeless man also at times must resort to scavenging for food.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I feed a combination of raw and kibble. The raw consists of chicken quarters (the leg/thigh), turkey necks/backs, pork neck bones, beef bones, trotters, beef cheeks, heart, liver, gizard, etc. Pretty much anything I can find in the store for a decent price, I've even fed pork snouts a few times LOL The kibble has also varied, sometimes I buy 10 bags at a time and get something like TOTW or Diamond Extreme Athlete, but then I will forget to reorder and the dogs will go back on the Kirkland, Pro Plan Performance, Kahoots or something similar. I used to feed Canidea a lot but the dogs didn't do so well on their new formula. I've tried quite a few other brands but either the dogs didn't do that well on them, or the dogs did just as well on something cheaper, so I couldn't justify the cost. I'm not paying $40 or $50/bag for food if I don't see any difference in my dogs between that food and a $25 or $30 bag

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Quote:
Interestingly enough, many anthropologists believe early man was a scavenger. Modern homeless man also at times must resort to scavenging for food.

Duh, omnivore. I figure they can't train their dog for shit, so they talk about dumb shit like feeding it.

Wow, Jeff when are you going to quit that nasty habit of talking out of your ass and jumping to uninformed conclusions? A number of anthropoligists have determined by looking at the marks on bones that man in fact was an oportunistic scavenger. I said scavenger and I meant scavenger. Big difference between scavenger and omnivore - DUH!

Guess it's been a few years since you studied anthropology. Perhaps it's time you went back to school - bone up on modern theory, as it were.

If you want to talk shit about me and my dog, I really don't care since you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Just you talking out of your ass again, no big deal. Now if you think I am going to sit here and play back and forth let's trade insults game of yours, you have another think coming. I know it's what you love to do, and you work real hard at being an asshole. Guess everyone has to be good at something.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Wow, Jeff when are you going to quit that nasty habit of talking out of your ass and jumping to uninformed conclusions? A number of anthropoligists have determined by looking at the marks on bones that man in fact was an oportunistic scavenger. I said scavenger and I meant scavenger. Big difference between scavenger and omnivore - DUH!

Guess it's been a few years since you studied anthropology. Perhaps it's time you went back to school - bone up on modern theory, as it were.

If you want to talk shit about me and my dog, I really don't care since you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Just you talking out of your ass again, no big deal. Now if you think I am going to sit here and play back and forth let's trade insults game of yours, you have another think coming. I know it's what you love to do, and you work real hard at being an asshole. Guess everyone has to be good at something.
Didn't you know...In Jeff's profile it says Dog Enthusiast / Anthropologist / Asswipe

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
I can't believe that it took an anthropologist to come to the conclusion that early man was a scavenger. Good grief, there weren't any local markets down on the corner. Even the movie producers had that figured out from the very first caveman movie. Is that really what they are teaching in school these days. What is unbelievable is that a study of that nature would impress anyone. Seems "common sense" would pretty much dictate they were scavengers. Probably when they dicovered they were better off working with dogs than fighting them over the same lizard or bush full of berries.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
There is a very interesting book called "Man the Hunted" by Robert Sussman, which based on fossil evidence, puts forth a very convincing argument that early man, hominid, was not a hunter nor even really an omnivore, but was a prey animal and an opportunistic scavenger.

I gotta say, life was a lot tougher back in the day!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've fed exclusively raw since my adult dogs were around a year and a half old--I ground the raw. For the past 6 months lots of things going on & with a new puppy I didn't want to feed him raw just in case. So, we've been feeding Canadae ALS to all our dogs--I added PuppyGold the puppy's kibble. I have to say that all of them still look good, but they looked a lot better when they were eating raw. They don't look unhealthy, they just look less vibrant.

Just went to the vet last week & he said the puppy looked amazing & at 7-months-old is right where he should be. He said so far his body is perfect. Now that things are normal again, I'm going back to raw. The vet said that I should keep the puppy on kibble for a while longer. Does anyone have experience with raw feeding & puppies? Any advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
... Just went to the vet last week & he said the puppy looked amazing & at 7-months-old is right where he should be. He said so far his body is perfect. Now that things are normal again, I'm going back to raw. The vet said that I should keep the puppy on kibble for a while longer. Does anyone have experience with raw feeding & puppies? Any advice appreciated.
How much have you read up on raw diets? Going raw (not the raw part, but the part about making up the proportions, etc.) is much more crucial to get right with a puppy than with an adult who is not laying down bone, growing teeth, and maturing internal organs ....

Feeding a puppy is not something to screw up. (I'm a big fan of fresh raw food, BTW, so I am not trying to say that raw is in any way inferior to commercial foods. I think it's far superior.)

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
I used to bang this chick that was getting her PhD in Anthropology. I met a lot of her friends and proffessors. I have never met a bunch of people that couldn't figure the obvious in my life. It all goes back to write a book, and you are the expert.

Barwig had been doing Sch for less than a year when she started writing the book Schutzhund: Theory and methods. LOL

****ing followers. HA HA

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I've seen a few results of random diets fed to puppies. On this very board, in fact. Great example: meat with no bones. Any of the raw-feeding books written by vets with specialties in nutrition and other nutrition-degree folks would have avoided that. The very worst of them would have avoided that tragedy. (I don't use that word lightly. The first notice taken of that particular "diet" is often bones fracturing during normal play.) Not directed at you, Sue, at all -- just explaining why even vets who do favor a raw diet are often worried about a puppy's needs maybe not being met unless the diet is carefully done.

"Barwig had been doing Sch for less than a year when she started writing the book Schutzhund: Theory and methods."

Is that really true? :eek:

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
There is a very interesting book called "Man the Hunted" by Robert Sussman, which based on fossil evidence, puts forth a very convincing argument that early man, hominid, was not a hunter nor even really an omnivore, but was a prey animal and an opportunistic scavenger.

I gotta say, life was a lot tougher back in the day!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:
No kidding. :eek: No McDonald's dumpsters, either!

61 - 80 of 89 Posts