Working Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Raw meat - whole chicken cut up, chicken legs, chicken drumsticks, chicken necks, chicken liver and gizzards, turkey necks, turkey legs (his favorite), beef cut up, beef marrow bone as a snack (his second favorite, cut up in 3 pieces, given semi frozen - the dog is "gone" in the backyard for 2 hours solid (all one hears is slurping, gnawing and other assorted sounds).

I used to add copious amounts of raw garlic to his food when he was younger (I am talking A LOT of garlic as I love it too), good to get rid of fleas or to keep them off as they hate it. He was a walking garlic breathing machine, now I add less.

Raw eggs, 2 times a week (shell crushed and all), plain yoghurt sprinkled over meal.

When travelling or away from home, he gets Solid Gold kibble food with yoghurt over it or a can of tuna fish dumped on it.

He will occasionaly enjoy apple skin cut up, junk food leftovers maybe once a month, chicken broth with rice.

His absolute favorite dessert in Texas summer heat - Ice cubes made out of chicken broth frozen solid, his ice cream treats...

the dog is GSD, currently 18 months old and very active 2 to 3 hours a day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Use to feed my gun dogs kibble such as Arden Grange. My schutzhund rott had real gut problems on it so i looked into raw and never gone back.
Raw chicken wings, backs, minced beef, lamb, tripe, organs, fish, veg, BMB's. Once you get the nack of preping it and a routine its easy. (Thanks to the Leerburg folks for all advice).

·
Registered
557 Posts
I feed a homemade raw diet that consists of a large varity of muscle meats, organ meats, veggies, raw meaty bones, salmon oil , probiotics, vit E, vit C, alfafa, kelp, fish(mackeral, sardines) eggs, & salt free cottage cheese. I think that is everything.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
wow, I guess I am really a bad dog dad compared to you guys! I only feed my dogs 4 cups of dry kibble (Redpaw 32% protien, 20% fat) and that's it. The only dogs that get raw food in my kennel is pregnant / whelping bitches and baby puppies. They get a variety of ground beef, deer and chicken, with a little cottage cheese each day. Everyone else eats about 2000lbs of dry food per month.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Feed ProPlan also and have for years...all my dogs do fine on the food. I give meat and eggs a few times a week also.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I also used to feed Pro Plan, and it worked very well. The only reason that i switched is becasue RedPaw will deliver a pallet right to my door. With Pro Plan I was always driving to buy it and the feed stores never had enough for me. I could not get it delivered to my location, so I switched to Red Paw (which I also really like) I feed just over one pallet a month, so for me it is also about using what is easy.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
I got enough to think about in life. LOL I have often wondered why people would get that carried away for a scavenger.

My day job on the days I wasn't bartending down in south beach was working at a pet supermarket. We recommended dog food based solely on what the reps were giving free. LOL

If a rep came up lame, we would sell other shit to get him back on track.

In Denver we were using "black gold" at the kennel, and it was a small company, 21 bucks ( pallet price) and 50 pounds a bag. It was for the longest time never more than a week or two old when we got it, and the dogs were stupid hyper with energy on it.

One time we got two pallets in the winter, and the middle ones were still hot it was so fresh. How cool is that ??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
You are not alone, I feed Pro Plan. Now that there is a butcher close enough, they get bones here and there.

The store with the butcher counter is three blocks away and I would have to actually get into the car and drive to buy commercial dog food.

Now you all know the secret reason for my gung-ho raw attitude. :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Use to feed my gun dogs kibble such as Arden Grange. My schutzhund rott had real gut problems on it so i looked into raw and never gone back.
Raw chicken wings, backs, minced beef, lamb, tripe, organs, fish, veg, BMB's. Once you get the nack of preping it and a routine its easy. (Thanks to the Leerburg folks for all advice).
I agree that there's a steep curve, but a very fast one (maybe a couple weeks). Now that I have done raw for years, it takes me very little time. What's BMB?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I got enough to think about in life. LOL I have often wondered why people would get that carried away for a scavenger.

My day job on the days I wasn't bartending down in south beach was working at a pet supermarket. We recommended dog food based solely on what the reps were giving free. LOL

If a rep came up lame, we would sell other shit to get him back on track.

In Denver we were using "black gold" at the kennel, and it was a small company, 21 bucks ( pallet price) and 50 pounds a bag. It was for the longest time never more than a week or two old when we got it, and the dogs were stupid hyper with energy on it.

One time we got two pallets in the winter, and the middle ones were still hot it was so fresh. How cool is that ??
Funny that you would mention "Black Gold". I tried one pallet of it last summer here. It was 1/2 the cost of Red Paw so I figured I'd try it. What a ****ing mess! The dogs had explosive diarreah and many of them were actually vomiting. Anyway I stopped using it and the Black Gold folks bought the rest of the food back from me with no questions asked.
I switched back to Red Paw and within 24 hours the stool and the dogs were all back to normal. I can switch to any other brand of food and have no problems, but that Black Gold shit was a HUGE disaster for me here.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Never had that problem, but **** them then.

I used to get Diamond back in the day by driving the truck down to the plant and filling up trash cans with it. Worked great loved it ect ect and then Boom, had the same thing you were talking about minus the vomiting.

Guess they were a "Low bid" style dog food, and the ingredients changed. If it had passed in a few days I would have kept feeding it. **** that though. Nasty smell coming out of them.

I am sure nowdays a vet would have tried to claim parvo. LOL

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm with Connie. I've fed raw for 6 years (my dogs have never had kibble, were weaned onto raw by their breeders) & it is no big deal to doing it. A little more planning then opening a bag, but once you get in the swing of it, it is easy to do. I would never feed my dogs kibble. They best part is having my dogs really LOVE what they are eating. Also, it is really not much different in cost from a very high end kibble. I buy most of my food from a restraunt wholesaler & maybe it is even cheaper then kibble for the prices that I can get.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
My current dog doesn't work in the same context as it's used here, but she does get worked fairly extensively.

I feed raw, Solid Gold Barking at the Moon kibble, canned tripe, and dip net hooligan or trade out for wild caught fish or pheasant.

Jeff you asked earlier why people would go to such lengths to feed a scavenger. I cannot speak for anyone else but my former breed of choice had a lot of health related issues, primarily bloat and HD. I either had the choice to switch breeds or work with what I had.

So I figured out a way to make it work through diet, supplements, and conditioning. This extra effort has afforded me the benefit of being able to keep my dogs a part of my life and take them places most people only dream of seeing or going to.

That said, even though I am changing breeds I won't be altering how I feed my new dog.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I really like a dog that is a bit of a trash compacter myself. I feed what is the easiest and most convienient while still providing them with a good balanced diet with plenty of fat and protien.
If I ever win the lottery and can get out of the dog business all together, then I will feed Arko a raw diet because he will be my only dog, but for now since I am feeding about 40 dogs today, they will eat something from a bag that is delivered to my kennel on a pallet.
It is not that I am lazy, or too cheap to buy the extra freezers, (ok, well maybe it is)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
What's stopping you from doing that now, He's your main studdog right ?
Yes, he is my main stud dog. But he is not working anymore and he does great on the RedPaw that I am feeding him now. I like the idea of feeding the entire kennel the same diet. I can take 14 dogs on the road with me and no matter which 14 dogs I am traveling with I take a bag of food and dont worry about it.
When I only have one dog I will go back to a raw diet, mostly for the peace of mind that it provides due to everyone in the world now saying that dog food will kill your dog. LOL

41 - 60 of 89 Posts