Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feed raw but must add some kibble as i can't carry raw on deployment.
Have been feeding Chicken Soup for the past several years with great results. I was wondering if anyone has used orien ? results?. what are you all feeding?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I feed raw but must add some kibble as i can't carry raw on deployment.
Have been feeding Chicken Soup for the past several years with great results. I was wondering if anyone has used orien ? results?. what are you all feeding?

Sarah, there's no need for this size font ... unless you are vision-impaired ... and it makes a thread pages and pages long. Don't worry about Bob ... we read it to him through his ear-piece.

Have you considered THK with meat added?

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I feed raw but have used Orijen for month long trips out east that I do yearly.

Do has no issues switching over. Dog liked it just fine, didn't notice any difference in the dog in the month he was on it, except that he shit more and drank more water;)

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I feed Nutro. Have for years. We have an assortment of Labs, GSD's Mals a couple of Goldens and a couple of Lab-look-alikes. Coats are good, plenty of energy, no problems with any type of allergies. While there may be better foods out there, it has served our unit well.

DFrost

·
Registered
81 Posts
I feed raw and occasionallyadd a smal amount of kibble for the same reason you do. I rotate between grain free versions of Orijen, Innove EVO, Wellness Core, and Solid Gold.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I feed Orijen to my Malinois The high protein/no grain formula seems to really agree with his metabolism and his weight is good. The pupppy is also on Orijen.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
LOL!

i feed the diamond natural extreme athelete to some, and raw to others. i have been more than pleased with the D.E.A. food though - esp for dogs with high metabolisms - so far as i know, it's the highest protein/fat commercial food available. there's also no wheat or corn:
http://diamondpet.com/products/diamond_naturals/dogs/dry_food/extreme_athlete/
EVO and other similar grain frees are about the highest % protein I've come across at around 42-43% by dry matter, which is higher by about 10%. And if people want truly low carb, it's there at 15% (EVO Red Meat) and 12% (EVO Original) respectively. That's about as low as you can go for a kibble because otherwise there has to be a way to glue the kibble together when it's mostly meats.

As for me, my dogs get:

-Fawkes (2 year old Malinois): 1 cup EVO original or EVO Red Meat and 1 cup Innova Large Breed
-Lily (4 year old Malinois): 2 cups EVO original
-Elsa (9 year old Rottweiler): 1 cup EVO original, 1 cup California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato
-Zoso (4 year old Malinois/GSD): 1 cup EVO Red Meat, 1 cup Innova Large Breed
-Buck (12 year old Siberian husky/Rottweiler): 3/4 cup California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato, 3/4 cup Innova Senior Plus

Plus a few raw meaty recreational bones a week for their teeth, usually lamb neck and leg bones but other stuff too. They got chicken necks/backs from the 4th of July pasture raised birds this week that I barbequed, mmmmm mmmm!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato

Just discovered this and recommended it for a sensitive-stomach senior who was doing poorly on red meats and whose owner was concerned about an all-poultry diet.

Now he is using this for variety. Nice ingredient list.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't have the freezer space that I use to anymore to feed raw...

My GSD I feed Abady.. My two ABs age 7 &11 both are not as active anymore ...they will get some Abady from time to time... but mainly CA Nat.l Herring & Sweet Potato or Innova Senior Plus. All dogs will get some Chicken backs or 3/4 or veggies/fruit once a week.

Anybody try Blackwoods 5000, my friend has started and loves it ...catfish meal.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
RAW, Orijen, California Naturals. I mix and match depending on how the dogs look. They all eat whatever is is I put down of the 3. No problems turning their nose up to kibble after days on RAW or vice versa.

I have actually been too broke to feed RAW the past few months but bought some today to make up for the fact they all had to eat Chicken Soup for a couple months due to my brokeness. CSFTPLS is the absolute lowest quality food I will feed period. I feel much better having bags of Orijen and Cal Naturals in the garage again.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
1/2 kibble and 1/2 raw (pre made commercial mix/ green tripe/ red meat/chicken backs) for the adults, puppies and young dogs 'till about 9 mo. raw

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
When I'm trailing or training out of town. I can use Orijen in a pinch. But I prefer to use NRG http://www.nrgpetproducts.com/ which is a dehydrated RAW and is pretty close in nutritional value to the ground chicken carcasses and veggie mix that I normally feed my bitch.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts