Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
> Up until recently I have been able to track misdemeanor warrants off lead with no problems from our city judge and prosecuter. That is if they ran when told they were under arrest or fled when arriving at residence.
> Our new powers to be want to restrict me to tracking them on lead and treat them as any other misdemeanor. What are your departments policies when dealing with the above scenarios with them?
> I believe I will win out but my assistant chief is going to make some enemies in the process explaining to these bleeding heart !!#$%&*_+=?// liberals why I should continue the current policy.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Phil, I think Metro Nashville is not permitted to use the dog for misdemeanors of any type. We do, but tracking is done on leash.
DFrost

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> I honestly do not know however our judge and city prosecuter are both full time practicing attorneys and have no doubt defended knuckleheads who have been in our court system.
> David I have always preached and been allowed to track them this way as we have used the approach that they pose a threat to the public IE; break into a home to hide, carjack to escape or possibly steal a car to get away. Obviously these idiots don't think of the worst possible scenarios as we are trained to do.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Woody, personally, I believe more departments prohibit the practice than DA's etc. It's all a matter of liability. Stupid, I agree. They don't think about possible ramification such as Phil stated. Just another reason we love this career so much. ha ha.

DFrost

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Understood, I was just trying to figure out why liberals would care (I mean, what is happening and what could happen that would make liberals care). As we all know, liberals do not commit crimes, I figured they could care less if Rush Limbaugh gets a nice dog chase for Vicodin prescription fraud.

Liberals would, in fact, pay to see that go down.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Connie Sutherland said:
I know I would.

Where do we sign up?
Limbaugh actually has the tapes himself, caught it all on his surveillance system, you just have to swap to get them. Cost me 25 Percocets and 35 Oxycontins. He provides the VHS blanks, steals them from his studio.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
out here on the left coast things are much different phil. we have a little case called Smith vs. Hemet that the ninth circus court handed us. using a dog off leash on a misdemeanant in most situations isn't done out here. we will use the dogs to track misdemeanants, but on leash because if this person got bit, it would surely cost the city money...

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
<<<<that the ninth circus court handed us.>>>

When you mention the ninth circus, you pretty much tell the whole story. Do they follow any precendents, other than say New Jersey??? ha ha.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
David Frost said:
<<<<that the ninth circus court handed us.>>>

When you mention the ninth circus, you pretty much tell the whole story. Do they follow any precendents, other than say New Jersey??? ha ha.

DFrost
they don't follow precedents, they make them. dumb ones at that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Our policies are written based upon case law. Our deployment policy is a reflection of Connor V Graham which is not a dog case but use of force case. We must consider:

1. Severity of the crime
2. Is the person actively resisting (Fighting, running, hiding)
3. Can you articulate a danger to the public or officers. We need more then just flight here.

We need two out of three usually. Our deparmtent wants a felony or violent misd. like brandishing a firearm. Bottom line is we usually dont track any misd. crimes. Too risky. :cry:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
> At 08:30 Central time I was informed by my assistant chief until further notice misdemeanor warrants who flee when instructed under arrest or who bail out of residence when officers approach to arrest them will be tracked on lead.
> Just another example of treat the criminals with the utmost respect and the hell with our safety. !!#$%&*_+=?// Em!! Sorry but it absolutely sucks!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Second p
Phil Dodson said:
> > Just another example of treat the criminals with the utmost respect and the hell with our safety. !!#$%&*_+=?// Em!! Sorry but it absolutely sucks!!
I hear ya. You will LOVE this. We have to attend our mandatory inservice training soon. One of the new and improved classes is CIT. Crisis Intervention Training. okey dokey. I have been informed that it will be the worst 8 hrs of my career so far. I am proud to inform all that we have a new term. We no longer refer to mental patients as mental patients, mentally ill, mentally challenged, etc. We now must refer to them as.......... consumers. Yes, you heard me, consumers. Holy God. I sure have fought some "consumers" that were wacked out of their heads. They are forming new CIT units whose sole function will be to serve mentals,uh, excuse me, consumers. Plain clothes, unmarked unit. Thank GOD that I do not have to do this anymore since retiring and going to work for the Port. :roll:

By the way,we have the misdemeanor issue as well with the dogs. Now, we will shoot your *ss off of the road in Texas,but we do not "dog" misdemeanor offenders IF of course,we are aware of it :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.