Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Connie, sorry, I'm just a little out of it on Demerol right now.
an older couple with a king shepherd- what they called it anyway.
Got my arm because his owner's where at a strip mall, where I took Bella tonight to walk her and make sure she liked people. She loved them. Lots of people coming in and out of stores. Wagging tail and lots of "off" practice for her.
This couple stopped to see Bella. they were parked at the curb infront of Zellers and they had the dog in the vehicle. When the lady was getting back in the vehicle, the dog pushed past her and ran at me and Bella. I was blocking Bella behind me and the dog bit my arm. The lady finally pulled th dog away. After getting Bella home and settled I went to the hospital, the older couple arrived later to see if I was alright. I ended up with 7 stitches and the xrays showed crushed bone. They took photos of the xrays for me. I go back tomorrow to see the orthopedic docter in the fracture clinic and see if there is nerve damage. Right now my whole hand is really tight and not moving well, fingers are stuck pretty tight. Hard to type. Bella bit the dog in the foot, I dont' know why she did this, fear or dog aggression, I don't know.

·
Registered
528 Posts
In the paper it will probably read "woman mauled by pit bull!"

Liz,I hope you are Ok! :? Thats a bad situation to be in.

Thats why I stress stabilization and control first....and I dont socialize. :x

·
Registered
217 Posts
Greg Long said:
In the paper it will probably read "woman mauled by pit bull!"

Liz,I hope you are Ok! :? Thats a bad situation to be in.

Thats why I stress stabilization and control first....and I dont socialize. :x
Socialization wouldn't be so hard if there were no stray dogs and other people would control their dogs and ignore mine. I'm with you Greg, I finally came to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it! Not in public anyway!

Liz, Sorry about your bite, I would have done the same thing. No way would that dog have gotten to my puppy. Gonna have to buy you a new baseball bat.

Hope you're better soon,
Debbie

[/b]

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I just woke up, Demerol is quite the potent drug. I forgot to block off the stairs when I fell asleep and woke up with Bella beside me on my bed downstairs (futon). I sleep in the living room with her for now until she gets older. It keep her near the back door for house training. I looked around the house, no damage. The cat was at the end by my feet. I guess they get along well when sleeping :eek:
I have to go get a baseball bat now, and stop at the fracture clinic :x :x

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
A canister of OC spray would be easier to carry than a baseball bat - or a taser :twisted: :lol:

I hope everything heals okay. Adam's cat bit my hand last year and just nicked a tendon with one of his teeth, and I had trouble moving the fingers on that hand for quite some time, so I can sort of relate (even though I didn't have any broken bones). Sending good thoughts for a fast recovery!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Kristen Cabe said:
A canister of OC spray would be easier to carry than a baseball bat - or a taser :twisted: :lol:

I hope everything heals okay. Adam's cat bit my hand last year and just nicked a tendon with one of his teeth, and I had trouble moving the fingers on that hand for quite some time, so I can sort of relate (even though I didn't have any broken bones). Sending good thoughts for a fast recovery!
How long did that take to be back to normal?

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, I got back and went back to bed for a while. Pup was soooo wound up in puppy spins when i let her out of her crate. That demerol is too potent. So I just took a tylenol three tonight.
Fingers are still puffy, but the neurologist who ended up seeing it after said that is should be fine. Of course he's the same guy that keeps telling me I have an ankle reflex, and my neurosurgeon says I don't and my family docter says I don't. Hope he's right this time.
I got a nice pot of Mum's sent to me from the "Lady and her Husband" today. They feel really bad about it. They said that their dog was really after me, not the puppy because he was jealous of them being with me. Yeah, right, it was the puppy he was after, I'm sure of it. I think they just thought I would take it lighter if I thought my pup was not in danger. I guess they know that people get really ticked off when you hurt their animals.
Greg - the hospital called the Health Department and Animal Control. Health department demanded the records of the dog's rabies shots, none issued for 3 years, now the "king Shepherd" as they call it is in quarinteen. Teach that dog, lol.
I refused a rabies shot in the gut, I am terrified of needles and we only have had about 21 cases of rabies in the last two years in bats around here. I'm not too worried YET. When I start foaming or circling I'll let you guys know. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
wonder if this'll teach them to keep rabies updated? that's one vax that you'd have to be stupid &/or lazy not keep current when you consider the possible consequences of NOT doing it.

both to the dog, and yourself/others :x

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I hope this turns out OK.

Since it's really a Canine Lounge subject, let's direct any additional conversation about it to that forum.

:wink:

Just one of those seasonal sweeps -- moving non-working-dog stuff into better spots. :D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Ow, hope you are feeling better.

Wow I would take the rabies shot anyway. I know it is scary but maybe you could take the demoral for that. Low risk but I would rather you have no risk.

I am sure you could take valium or something (the dentist gave me valium when I had wisdom teeth out and we discovered the imcomplete nerve block when the took the chisle to break the offending tooth.....don't undercut the druges WHEN YOU NEED THEM

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The rabies shot is not given in the gut these days. That actually changed a while ago. I had to get the vax around 7 years ago (when I worked as a wildlife biologist), and it was a pretty painless series of shots in my upper arm.

http://www.medicinenet.com/rabies/article.htm

Considering that rabies is darn near always fatal, I'd take the shot over dying any day!

And, if the docs at the ER are telling you the shots are painful and given in the gut, you might want to see a different doctor!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Connie, it was probably about a month and a half or so before there was no more pain/discomfort at all in my hand, I also had to wear a splint to hold my middle and ring fingers stationary while the tendon healed, and for several weeks I still had trouble gripping and holding on to things with that hand. Made for interesting typing and dog training! I was typing one-handed for a while.

Here, rabies shots are only required once every 3 years. Too bad it's not the same where you are, Liz. I wouldn't worry too much about that, though, even though 21 cases in 2 years sounds like a lot to me. I doubt the dog has rabies. I hope you heal up quickly and don't have to take the Demerol. It was a very nice gesture on the lady and her husband's part to send you flowers and see how you were doing. I hope you have health insurance!

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, yes, feeling better today off the demerol. I also had the rabies vaccination when I was in animal control, and it is in the arm. That wasn't so bad, even though I hate any needle. But the ER said that the regular vaccination you get to prevent a future bite problem is different than what you get if already bitten. They made it sound really awful.
When I lived in Thunder Bay, we took this wolf/gsd from a man's garage that he had chained up on about a three-four feet chain off the wall. I decided to keep the dog and then she ended up in quaranteen for ten days after she bit someone while walking her on leash. The poor child was passing us and he quickly reached over to touch her. I pulled her away but he got a bad scrape from her teeth on his hand. This was roughly 1996 and I was with the animal control. Never found out who the child was, the mom was there but she never went to her docter I guess. That kid was lucky, because after the 10 day quaranteen the dog proved to be healthy.
Maybe I will ask for a thing called Ativan to take the edge off. I had that before a couple of surguries so they could get an I.V. in me. It calms you down pretty good, lol. I'm on the three day mark though, so maybe tomorrow.
My cat keeps running away from me after she smelled my hand, maybe she knows something I don't. :eek: :eek: :eek:

We got rid of rabies here about 10 years ago because it was really high. They put cubes of vaccine in all the woods and parks where the coyotees and foxes, raccoons would eat them. It worked until the rabies came back about 3 years ago. I remember one poor racoon just sitting in a tree where anyone could reach him. He was just in a daze, right out of it. Animal control came and took him away, he had rabies. I'll never forget the look in his poor eyes.
We finally have a two year vaccine for adult dogs, but only one year if under 2 years of age. Get this though, when I was at ER to get the exray and stitches, I had to take a "Tuberculosous test". If I showed positive to any carrier of it then the dog would be put down, because he could then spread it to people if he bit or play nipped. WOW. Talk about a new form of zoonoses. Has anyone else heard of this, it's new to me.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
But the ER said that the regular vaccination you get to prevent a future bite problem is different than what you get if already bitten. They made it sound really awful.
If you look at the link I provided, it describes the post-bite shots in detail.
" Specific medical attention for someone exposed to rabies is called postexposure prophylaxis or PEP. In the United States, postexposure prophylaxis consists of a regimen of one dose of immune globulin and five doses of rabies vaccine over a 28-day period. Rabies immune globulin and the first dose of rabies vaccine should be given by your health care provider as soon as possible after exposure. Additional doses or rabies vaccine should be given on days 3, 7, 14, and 28 after the first vaccination. Current vaccines are relatively painless and are given in your arm, like a flu or tetanus vaccine. "

There are definitely more shots given post-bite than pre-bite. However, this also specifically says "in the US," so maybe they do things differently in Canada?

At any rate, I hope your arm heals well and that you feel back to normal soon.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Konnie, I will go to the docter tomorrow for sure,
Right now I have an emergency and have to get off the computer, Bella has a wound I didn't see or feel before, I just felt it now, it's a huge puncture in her rear end under all that fur. It is huge I put my finger right into it. Bye for now. I have to run.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.