Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
John Sosa said:
Whats the best vaccination schedule for puppies? what type of vaccine (killed or live vaccine)? brand?
Maybe the breeders here will recommend brands. All I know is what I have researched. I personally do not give boosters, after having researched vaccinosis, except for rabies, as required by law, and I believe that the people who recommend killed vaccine if allowable in your area are wise.

Puppy shots: The updated protocols are leaning to two parvo-distemper (NOT a 5-in-one) shots, at about 7 and 10 or 11 weeks, as detailed in a web page I will send you. Some do three. Please check with the vet.

If I had puppies, I would read Dr. Jean Dodds on vaccination protocol, and I'd read "Shock to the System," about vaccinosis. If my vet wanted to give a "cocktail" or wanted to do rabies on the same day as the parvo-distemper or wanted to give more puppy shots or annual boosters, I'd read up very thoroughly and ask a lot of questions first.

I'm convinced that the old protocols were/are responsible for a lot of immediate sickness and deaths, as well as a lot of serious illnesses down the road for the dogs who were given them as puppies.

Would you like links to reading material? This is one area where many vets are woefully behind in their thinking, I'm afraid, and where the owners must educate themselves.

All JMO, as a non-health-professional.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Again, please note that I'm not a health professional.

I'm PMing you with a link to a page about vaccinosis and new protocols that I believe will answer your questions. It addresses the other vaccinations, too, like bordetella and lepto.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
And John, it does seem that you maybe have an oops litter. Is that the case?

Bob phrased it well:

Bob Scott said:
John, it seems you're asking questions about things that should have been worked out or researched before you had this litter.

Is that an honest assessment?
What are your goals with this litter?

Do you have any previous expierience with breeding or training?
You do have a vet, right? And these pups will have a vet's care?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
To reply from the other thread, one should always look into these things before the puppies are born and ideally before they are even thought of being bred. Was it an oops litter? Not to say that has never ever happened to even the best of breeders, but yeah...and while you are at it, now is a good time to try out the Superdog protocol. It will help out the pups later in life, even if this wasn't a planned breeding as what is done is done. http://www.breedingbetterdogs.com/achiever.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts