Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
I did defend sleddogs somewhat in a different thread, however there never has or will be any purebred dog that is worth it's salt in any serious sledding application.

The good ones have always been and will always be mutts/alaskan huskies, not a pedigree certificate on one of them.

Even though they are tremdous athletes, they are a single purpose dog and when food is the reward they will run or crash n burn, and they don't get fed before a run.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The poodle team I think was one of the things that led to the "northern dog rule" in the iditarod race rules...."P12. Dog Description: Only northern dog breeds suitable for arctic travel will be permitted to enter the race. "Northern breeds" will be determined by race officials."
. The poodles did have alot of problem with the weather coat wise.

Gerry there still are some fairly competitive Siberian teams but granted, they are like finding hen's teeth. I would argue you on the "serious sledding application" - there is more out there than racing and competition.... :wink:
Plus I have seen some purebred GSP's that can kick some serious butt.

Gerry Grimwood said- "Even though they are tremdous athletes, they are a single purpose dog and when food is the reward they will run or crash n burn, and they don't get fed before a run."
Don't quite get what you are saying here about the food bit - care to elaborate? :)

G

·
<<Don't quite get what you are saying here about the food bit - care to elaborate?>>

Sure, noone is gonna spend money feeding a dog that doesn't work, plus the obvious that you don't feed a dog before a run unless your on an extended trip or race.

I wont argue about your Siberians although you will see none of them in most venues, you know this.

I don't wanna talk about sleddogs anymore, been der done dat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.