Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one been involved in this program, and if so, how do you feel about it for screening potential police Service dogs if they reach the PD-2 levels????

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I've never heard of it. Is it like USPCA or NAPWDA?

DFrost

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I read both the PD1 and PD 2 exercises - it is similar to some of the NAPWDA and USPCA exercises. I'll give it this much - at least they are actually using a building (trailer, house etc) instead of boxes on a field during the building search portion of the testing (PD2):roll: The obedience portion is like a SchH BH except that they include a very scaled down version of an obstacle course.

I personally like it in black and white - would like to see one of these trials in person.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
One of the pit owners that used to belong to our club has titled in the UKC event.
I think the're working to improve it but, as of now, it's not what I would call top class.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I've read the PD2 requirement. Seems to be a lot of pretty points. I don't like the idea (as law enforcement) of doing any attack sequence with a muzzle. I did like the option of allowing a bark and hold/down and guard or return to heel. I'm adamantly against the bark and hold. with the exception of the pretty points it's not that much different that USPCA/NAPWDA certs for PD.

DFrost

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres a link to the site I read up on it. A person around here told me about it and is involved, he is promoting it. but also is in some agreement that improvements are being made but gradually. Apparantly some areas doing trials have not been doing half the things that other trials are doing, so some better and some not as good. He is trying to bring it up to a higher standard across the board. What I really liked about it was the building searches, the hold down of a suspect on his belly, I am not familiar with pros and cons of muzzle work for street clothed decoys. I thought that it is good that the dog is trained well to street clothing and not a bite suit or sleeve like Ring work/Schutzhund. My favourite part is the tracking and article/evidence find. Rather than teacher the Schut. style track, the dogs are trained more practically for real work environments. I really liked that. The obstacles and obedience needed to certify goes up in levels and goes beyond that of the Schutzhund obedience. When you go to the link, it explains most of the details. and it points out that the first level of obedience is just for the family dog and that it is relatively simple. I like the style of obedience in the higher levels of the Police dog as opposed to the higher levels of the Protection dog in this training.
Here is the link where I found a lot of the info on it.
http://www.servicedogsofamerica.com/about/index.php?PHPSESSID=919b18e9aefa6ab8222d185dc3e45822

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am just happy to see them offer something of this type! I just hope it does not become a political thing like most issues do in these 2 orginizations!

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far I like what I am hearing from this man about the changes he would like to see happen - obedience levels judged the same across the board and the use of more skilled obedience. He has many good ideas and is working on getting the organization to hear him. Some of the obedience is described differently on some of the sites, his impression is that more distraction, more things like going through gates in a stay command, loading into backs of vehicles and leaving the door open with dog in stay until handler returns. His version of the handler out of site recall is great. There would be a window jump, a verticle, a solid wall, etc.. I don't remember, but I think this part is with an object retrieve on recall. Not sure. I would like to have the best practical use obedience with Bella. so I am very interested in all of this.
Also, they want to keep the judges changing the direction of exercises during trials, so as to avoid the repetitious problems that come up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts