Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the start of this month, my GSD called Max developed Gastric Torsion (bloat).

I rushed him to the vets, who operated straight away and despite surviving the operation, Max died within the next hour.

I was devastated. He was 8.5 years old and he'd lived with me for the last 5 years after leaving K9 service early on temperament reasons.

As a home dog/family PPD he was a gentleman amongst dogs and is probably the biggest Shepherd that i'll own. He was nearly 31" at the withers and weighed 105 pounds.

This was the big guy and me. The photo is stuck to my locker door at work and gives me a lift before I go out on patrol. It's shit when you lose a good one, such a waste.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is Max during a Guerrilla warfare training session :p

and finally, the lad looking smart;

I've lost many loved ones of the human variety, but Max's death has ranked on equal the sense of loss and grief. I think you just have to remember the positives and take those times through with you for your life with your next dog...

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I'm with you, Gary -- that loss, in some ways, can be as devastating as and more constant than our human losses; the dailiness of it is so hard.

But as Bob Scott has said: That relationship with our dog is worth every tear.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think another thing that makes it hard, and I'm sure many on here will relate to this.... and that is Max was MY dog. A one man animal... He didn't give his affection, loyalty and respect away to anyone...like some dogs do..

He didn't have any interest socially with strangers, friends of mine seldom, and even my family members he'd tolerate, but never really show interest in..[-X

The moment I showed up, a different dog ! :smile:

We'd have family BBQs/Eatouts....with friends, neighbours and colleagues round..

Max would be on the lawn, watching and listening. People would stand up, get drinks, talk to other people, go inside the house etc, and he would just observe. The moment I stood up, he'd stand up...and follow me to the house...wait..and then when I came out..he'd follow me back to my chair..../BBQ whatever..and then lie down again..

You earn loyalty from a dog....it can't be bought or bargained...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts