Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we had a trial here in lovely Co, the theme being pirates of the carribean. I thought that we did a pretty good job with the scenery, and the judge was excellent.

Buko, was not as interesting/funny as last time, but decided that if he was going to fail, it would be spectacular.

I think the last time he ignored the whistle for the recall was about two years ago, and he decided it was time to renew that ignoring thing. Unfortunatly he isn't real mild mannered about it. He was getting a bit dangerous.

Sooooooo, we will now be using electricity (and extension cord :evil: )

All in all he did really well except for the returning thing, and the fact he cost me a lot of points from general outlook. It is bad enough that I take them :D I had to show him the contract he signed that states I am the only one of the team allowed to lose GO points. :wink:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
You´ve had fun and some learning experiences :wink:
I´m not familiar with the sport, could you explain the General outlook points to me?

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have pics yet, but I am sure there are plenty of him ignoring me.

I will post them when I get them. I am sure they will give them to me. He went from pre-trial near perfect to "Oh shit" pretty rapidly.

You can lose general outlook points for misbehavior on the handler/dog. If you are overdoing the body language for example, or the dog is out of control are some ways you can lose points. It is a way to keep you on your best behavior, as they can take points from every exersize.

The new decoy thing sort of sends him into orbit. Hard thing to fix since we don't have a lot to work with(decoys) in the first place. I guess I can either just trial the crap out of him until he figures it out, which could go really badly, or go the e-collar way, which probably won't do anything for this particular problem. I am probably going to do both.

After the trial, I put him on one of his regular decoys, and he returned perfectly. While annoying, it is going to be interesting to fix. I am going to get a e-collar this week. There is a trial in San Antonio in Nov. and I have heard there are going to be 5 MR3 dogs there. Kinda would like to go, and not just to watch. Have to wait and see.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
thank you for explaining Jeff, kinda like our WvV (wijze van voorbrengen) and AA (algemeen appél).

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
The new decoy thing sort of sends him into orbit. Hard thing to fix since we don't have a lot to work with(decoys) in the first place.
What do you mean? Is he getting overly hyper, or not recognizing a new decoy as a target, etc.?

Dumb newb question...is this common? If the dog is targeting the equipment, how much does a different decoy matter?

Sorry to hear about the trial, Jeff, even if it's entertaining to hear you be humble. :lol: You had your chance to have Buko eat me last month...

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Not to answer for Jeff's situation but every helper is going to have his own body posture/movement. To many inexpierienced (with different helpers)dogs that can be distracting.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Just a thought about ignoring the whistle. I've seen good dogs slow to out because they have perceived a weakness in the helper.
Our helper is a 340 lbs power lifter and VERY hard to move once he locks up. The first time on someone new is kinda like "Hey! I can move this ahole around. Bet I can whup his butt if I hang in there a bit".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts