Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bane, 1st time on a bungee - (it was NOT fun)

and sitting pretty (see, she CAN sit still :^o )

Angaar

Ramal, a 10 month old dobe puppy

and of course, last but definitely not least, Jay Lyda's beautiful little "Birdie"

·
Registered
705 Posts
nice pics. just one thing not safe to work a dog on a collar on bungee. i would stick with the harness. for safety

·
Registered
827 Posts
We'll start trying to get her more on the inside. This was her first time on the bungee and she didn't seem to care too much for it, we'll keep working it though and get her more comfortable with it. After the first couple of bites Amber did put her harness on, we figured it would be better for her. She likes to come up for an upper bite so we are just trying to keep her down right now as well as working on her targeting the leg which, you're right I do need to be giving her more of the inside. But she will be fine, she just has to learn that the legs are all she is going to get, cause if she tries to transfer then she loses her bite and the bungees good for helping with not letting her get a cheap bite in where we don't want it.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Swear to GOD, I hate the bungie. Dobies are weirdos, maybe you can get a lighter bungie. I also like to use a jambierre at first so the dog can rip something off of you.

One of the reasons I hate the bungie is that it is a knee killer. If the dog is a puller and has any weight to it.........OW.

On the other hand, for some dogs, the frustration that it builds is great for the bite and the entry.

I don't know if you guys are doing the "slingshot" thing, where the handler pushes forward on the bungie so the dog can get a good jump or not. This and a few misses that are really close, can get some really good results.

We have a surplus store here that has different weight bungie cord, so I am a bit spoiled. If you have this where you live, it is a good thing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
705 Posts
Jay she looks like she is doing good. just keep working it she will go more towards the inside. i like bungees. but im young and do not have bad knees. YET! keep it up she looks good. have fun buddy
steve

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I don't know crap about suit work or ring work. What is the reason for inside bites?

·
Registered
705 Posts
better grip if the dog bites more on the leg then the outside. and the dogs head can get turned better for safety. this way

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Her issue (and wait, I'm about to say the scary words - JEFF WAS RIGHT!) I left her too long on the leg sleeve without moving her to the pants. She became dependent on it for proper targeting. When she saw the leg sleeve, she would hit the leg every time. When the pants are on, she hits the leg great - but when you have on pants and the jacket, she's kinda eyeing the jacket the whole time. She bites well on initial entry and stays on fine. I'm not outing her formally yet (like making her guard or recall), just holding her leash and telling her to out, so what happens is this - as soon as she hears me say out, she lets go and transfers for the top (the highest part she can reach) and tries to hold on there. After the bungee session last night, we did two more bites with me just holding the leash, and I held her by the collar and caught her before she got the top both times. Here's the video of those two. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp4k58zKTno As soon as I get her recall cleaned up to where I can recall her after the out, the problem should be pretty much solved anyway.

Far as the bungee goes, I've seen bungee work done before, but something was off. I think the bungee was too strong or too heavy for her. She only weighs 55 lbs., and she kept going out for the bite, but she couldn't pull it nearly as far as Jay's big GSD Ichilles can. plus it was REALLY snapping her back hard. I think a lighter weight bungee would work, but that one was just too strong.

Bane's a sweet girl and too good of a dog for me as a handler. She's stable under any barrage, good with all the Mondio and PSA style distractions, maybe a bit more civil than I'd want, but hey. I don't expect to ever get Ring III, she's kinda my "learning dog". But considering where I live, and that we are training her for a complex sport based solely on videos (and picking Kadi's brain every once in awhile O:) - God bless her!) I'll be totally happy with a I or II. Hopefully next year we'll be attempting a breeding with a MR III, FR II dobe in France, and I'll know enough to really try to compete with the puppy I keep from there.

That said, anyone that knows of videos that have been made of any good seminars, esp. teaching some of the esquive techniques, I would love to buy one.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i have worked bungees on puppies before like 4 months old and older. um you need to work her with the jacket on and make her miss if she goes for it. she looks like she is doin good. just keep working her. keep her on a back tie or bungee. i actually nailed bike tie intertubes to a tree with a line connected as my first bungee. lol but elitek9.com has some good ones that are lighter weight. i would keep her on those and work the legs till you can offer her an arm and she still goes for the leg. there is a technique to this that is too hard to explain on here.

Jerry and jay if you need any help with this just call you have my number.
and what he means by slingshot is when the handler pulls the dog back and shoots it forward. and misses means making the dog miss.
good luck guys she looks good

·
Registered
827 Posts
Amber, next training session I'd like to work Bane first, when I am fresh. I haven't seen the vid but I know that I didn't give as much aggitation that she should have got. So we will work her good on Thursday and I'll aggitate the hell out, to the point that she has forgot about that bungee.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
The slingshot is where you hold the bungee short, and let the dog run out a tiny bit, and let the bungee pull the dog back, then a little more, and more, till the dog has it's head down and is just going for it. Then you let the dog run all the way out, but it gets a real close miss. At that point, you want to push forward so it DOES NOT SNAP THE DOG BACK SO HARD!!!!!!

OK, thought about it, it is a rocking motion that gets bigger and bigger. Maybe thats a beter description.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Amber, my thoughts on the strong bungee we're using.
A difference in a dogs weight has nothing to do with how far they can pull the bungee. I know that sounds all wrong. A 100 pound dog can pull it further, yes without a dought but a 50 pound dog can pull the same bungee only not as far. The amount of pressure pulling each dog back is the same. Ichilles can pull it out further but the pressure pulling him back is the same as the shorter distance that is being pulled on her. It will pull him back equally pound for pound. A lighter bungee just means she will be able to pull it out further. If it's too light something will have to give if it doesn't pull her back and that will be the bungee, it will break. A strong bungee just means she has to work harder to get it out there.

·
Registered
705 Posts
true and the slingshot method is a good thing to use. we use it alot with new dogs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Amber, next training session I'd like to work Bane first, when I am fresh. I haven't seen the vid but I know that I didn't give as much aggitation that she should have got. So we will work her good on Thursday and I'll aggitate the hell out, to the point that she has forgot about that bungee.
Jay~
I think that I saw pictures and not a video, but I think that what you meant was more animation rather than more agitation. I think that is what you meant any way. LOL. (semantics maybe) You will get this with no problem and so will the dog you are decoying. I personally am not a huge fan of the bungee line (sorry Steve just had to put it out there Bro) I would much rather teach the targeting first on a back tie to a dead ring, flat or harness, before going to a bungee if at all. Just me. Not that the bungee does not have its place. I just think that it is easier and safer when you show the dog what is expected and develop proper targeting and grip before throwing another stressor in the mix. I guess I would be a bigger fan of the bungee on the legs/lower body rather than upper body. Okay now I am rambling. I know that you can handle it man. Take care. ~Justin

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yeah, you know what I mean:razz: I wasn't as LIVELY as I usally am. It was the end of the day and I was running out of gas man, you know the feeling. We were only out there training but for oh like 4 hrs, Matt had to work that day so I was flying solo in the decoy department, but its all good, I love doing it.:smile: I'll just let Ichilles beat up on him next time, of course he has Raven to return the favor.:razz:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts