Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm tracking my dog, I am now laying a track that goes from grass to cement (the width of a driveway) then back onto the grass. I've not done this before, but I know on an FH track I have to change surfaces. When Arkane gets to the end of the first grass, he ogers across the cement, then at the next grass he sort of casts back & forth with his head down until he picks up the track in the grass again. Am I doing this right?

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
This probably means he is using the crushed grass as his scent to follow. I would suggest aging your tracks more before doing this.

Other things that might help are coming up the line and making him slow down and find the track across the grass.

Also, I find that dogs need to be fairly proficient before they can handle surfaces like cement that do not hold scent well. Try working up to 2 mile tracks or more before going to this.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm aging my tracks 30 to 45 minutes. (except the time I got confused & made my poor dog track the one I laid the day before by accident) Maybe it be beter to stick with grass to dirt or just stay on single surfaces for now.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He did great. It was very funny because what I do is lay my tracks then after a while I get the dog out of the car, go for a relaxing walk, then take him to the first track. The day before this day I forgot to pick up my flag from the start of that track, so when I walked up, that's the flag I saw. I was really confused, pissed off & wondering who the hell was f'ing with me, because not only was all my bait gone from the track but the jackpot was gone too. Arkane did it, corners & all. Lucky for me, he's as happy to track for a ball reward as a food reward.

My concern on the time thing is schI & schII tracks are aged only 30 minutes, so if I keep aging the track longer, is it going to screw with my I & II?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I think I gotcha, I was thinking that if I went backwards in the time it was aged the scent would be totally different & therefore confusing to the dog.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
I don't particularly care for Sch tracking, but the best way to get a dog better at it is to do long tracks. If you have a speeder, then reeeeeeeally long tracks.

Depending on the type of dog you have, you could have pushed out to 1 1/2 miles by now, with all kinds of turn angles. This is a generalization, or more likely an approximation, as I am taking the average from the tracking dogs and the biting dogs. I think my record at that age was around 5 miles (fluke). Not something I did everyday, but my brother was pretty dang good at track laying, and marking it. My Father was the champ though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Must be nice to be able to practice tracking. Our grass is all dead and crispy here, and the dirt is so dry it puffs when you walk across the yard. :sad:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Sure you can track in it, but you don't want to do it with a dog that's just learning, according to my TD. The smell of the bait is going to be much stronger than the smell of anything else, which really doesn't teach the dog anything.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Do you just go and do bitework at training or what?????
Uh, yeah, pretty much. :p

We started tracking last year, but had to stop when we moved the time back, because I work full-time and it was dark in the mornings before I went to work, and dark in the evenings when I got home. This year, it's been so dry that he told me not to even try to start back up again yet.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish I had decent tracking conditions too. Up until the last month I was relegated to tracking at municipal parks & soccer fields. Although the conditions are difficult, the dog is tracking, as evidenced by his ability to follow a track with no food over 24 hrs old. If you have parks & soccer fields that are green, give it a try. An added benefit is when I am able to track somewhere nice, it's all gravy!!;) A lot of municipalities light the parks at night & water at night, so the conditions aren't too bad.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kristen; One other thing, if I remember correctly, your dog was doing great at tracking, you posted some video & I thought it looked good. Once you are able to start tracking again he should be up to speed in no time. Another thing you could do (and may be doing for all I know) is practice platzing at articles, since you don't have to be tracking to do that.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I wish I had decent tracking conditions too. Up until the last month I was relegated to tracking at municipal parks & soccer fields. Although the conditions are difficult, the dog is tracking, as evidenced by his ability to follow a track with no food over 24 hrs old. If you have parks & soccer fields that are green, give it a try. An added benefit is when I am able to track somewhere nice, it's all gravy!!;) A lot of municipalities light the parks at night & water at night, so the conditions aren't too bad.
Have someone lay a track barefoot in the dry crispy stuff, run it hot (15 to 30 minutes). Keep them short and do 2 or 3. Dry grass can be a real aid in a young dog with some experience.

DFrost

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
what about tracking in rain? i haven't tried it yet, because i have it in my head that the rain'll wash the scent off--is that true?

or, what if i lay a track, THEN it rains on it? (vs laying a track while it's actually raining)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
and low pressure and rain/snow brings on calves (and babies of any sort) too. but i never thought about it push scent to the ground....("reasons why i love this forum"...)

BUT, is it something to do with a young beginning dog? who's only ever tracked in ideal conditions? i mean i know that sooner or later we're going to have to address less-than-ideal tracking conditions, but is rain one you would want to wait until some "other" less-than-ideal condition issues are addressed?

or am i, as usual, over-thinking the damn deal?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, it's good to do with a young dog. Mine has no problem tracking in the rain - what little there is of it here!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts