1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Foundation of Competitive Working Dogs" with Joanne Flemming-Plumb
Tracking 1
Tracking 2

Instead of training last night we watched these tracking videos.
"Loved them"!
A bit different from most tracking training I've done, seen, read about.
From a motivational point of view they made a ton of sense.
No correction OR encouragement. If the beginning dog goes outside the scent pad there is no coaxing or pointing back to the pad. Let the dog discover it on it's own. Same with the actual tracking during training. Let the dog make mistakes. The reward is the dog finding/re finding the track (with food) on it's own.
Food is kept in every track for quite some time.
The dog learns success without handler interference.
Her reasons are that most tracking problems come for the dog relying to much on the hanlder.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Same with the actual tracking during training. Let the dog make mistakes. The reward is the dog finding/re finding the track (with food) on it's own.
So did they let the dog continue to move forward and then find the track however far along he found it, or did they stop when the dog lost the track, and keep the dog from going forward until the track was found again?

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They would stop in place. No correction or verbalization but just let the dog refind the track.
Remember this is in the learning phase while the dog is still on a 6ft lead.
In all training, I like the idea of letting the dog "think" through a problem.
This is the first time I've seen it carried this far in tracking though.
As with any training we are crutches for our dogs more then we realize.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Bob I have used this type of training as well. It worked out really well, but then I wasn't so worried about staying so close to the track as I was in sch.
I did take it a step further and once my dog knew the game she was off-leash from then on. She picked up quickly that the reward was closer to the actual scent trail. Open field FST if I have to say it she is as good as a lot I've seen. I could probably put an FH on her.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob I have used this type of training as well. It worked out really well, but then I wasn't so worried about staying so close to the track as I was in sch.
I did take it a step further and once my dog knew the game she was off-leash from then on. She picked up quickly that the reward was closer to the actual scent trail. Open field FST if I have to say it she is as good as a lot I've seen. I could probably put an FH on her.
Although it's permissible, I've never seen a dog sport track off lead.
Tha would be a fun goal........if I got off my butt and did more tracking training. O:) :oops:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts