Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
IMO, SchH style tracking is more about the ability of the handler than of the dog. it's not fun to train, and takes a lot of time and patience.

yes, there are dogs that are naturally better at it, but i wouldn't EVER buy a pup based on his father's tracking ability. lol...

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I agree with Tim in that tracking is about the ability of the handler, but I disagree about it not being fun! As to whether or not it's important, I don't think it's any more or less important than anything else. It does demonstrate trainabilty & willingness to please. I don't think everything is all about the bite work.

One thing is for sure, it's a great way to weed out macho newbies who only want to teach a dog to bite!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
From a practical standpoint FST is pretty much useless. Could be a good foundation for further scent work (air, trailing) but otherwise it's a discipline of traing, not really tracking.
Having done real scent work (air, trailing, article indication, cadaver, boat) FST is really hard for me to get into.
I enjoy working the track with the dog but starting out with a new dog, placing food in each step is BOOOOOOOOOORRRIIIINNG.
Make a test where my dog has to find someone hidden in a building, woods, etc, as do the real K9 dogs and I'll be a happy camper.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I liked tracking when it was Sunday mornings at 9am. Then "they" decided that we should start grass tracking not just dirt tracking and wanted me to be there by 6, which meant getting up at 5. That happened, uhm.. twice. Now I moved and I don't track at all. Life is wonderful. I will title Lyka when she is 8.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
in honor of mike, i'm officially changing my dog's name to:

Cämo

jeff, you should change your dog's name to:

Büko

i dunno....what do you think Böb?

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was on another board and they were saying that ring type sports are easier because they have no tracking. My point isn't that tracking is silly or nonsense, just that When you have a breed of dog like the Mal that historically does not do tracking, come to a sport like Sch, and do well, that it is not really necessary as a breed test.

I do find tracking to be interesting, and I have found more people that look at tracking to be important than ever before. However, for me, tracking is more about who is doing it than what the dog actually is.

There are people out there that just "get it" and can get any dog to do well in tracking. I also find that these people put a lot more time into it, and have different methods than most, and it shows when the dog trials.

As far as a test of a dogs ability, I do not see a Sch track doing this. it is on the very low end of what a dogs capabilities are.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
375 Posts
I enjoy tracking as part of the overall training experience with my dog. I've only been doing SchH for a little over a year....maybe tracking will get old????

I like being outdoors with my dog in the morning. In that respect I find tracking to be of importance. If it's "reality" that's being questioned, I'm not sure. I'd guess that the SchH training could be a foundation for "real" work.

I agree that real scent work is where the thrill would be. I've walked behind hunting dogs and it's an awesome experience.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think there's a similar discussion like this in the working malinois board and the general consensus is about the same...footstep tracking is pretty much useless.

I find it boring myself. My dog likes it but when I have to get up early in the morning just to chase crows off my the food pieces that I nearly broke my back putting down there...well, you get the drift.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Lyn, use a length of PVC pipe to drop the food in your tracks. No bending! I'm old! I learn these important things! ;)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I don't mind it yet, which reminds me, I need to start Fawkes on it. My difficulty in tracking is because despite 5 years of martial arts training, my balance still sucks. I don't break my back putting food down, but I wobble terribly and am sometimes prone to accidentally stepping off the track especially when trying to keep the foot steps in one single line instead of a natural footstep. My dogs would probably just be better off having someone else lay the track from the get go. :oops: I'll just try the PVC pipe way.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
How much you enjoy something is probably somewhat correlated to how much you think it is a good test of this or that. ;) I haven't done "real" scent work, so I'll just sit quietly on that subject. :-\"

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I don't think it demonstrates any special ability with regards to the dog, beyond trainability, so in that respect and since it is a breed test, I agree with you. Now with that said, I wonder if that was the point, to show the great ability of the dog to perform a task that requires long periods of concentration while still conforming to the requirements of the handler?

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I think tracking is the most fun a person can have with their britches on. I've always found it almost mystical.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
David, you've made that comment before. Have you done FST type tracking?
I would agree that REAL tracking is pure enjoyment to watch a dog work a cone, or being in a building, trying to determine "wind current" from an air conditioning unit, dead corners, scenting in water, etc.
Having had the priviledge to be a part of it, tracking in the real world IS something almost mystical!
I still say FST is boreing, saying that even after I took High Scoring Tracking at our trial. I just don't enjoy any of it except the actual dog on the track.
Just old and lazy I guess! :lol: ;)
and I sure as hadies don't wannna try it with my britches off! :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
ÿ is another way of writing ij in Dutch, but if her name was written Lijka then people would butcher the pronunciation even more since that sound doesn't exist in the English language :p

·
Registered
357 Posts
OK Jeff,

I'm working on a schutzhund 3 track right now with my "low-drive" gsd.

I too -- like tracking (It is an acquired taste)
I have discovered that going from 400 paces to 600 paces on a warm day in dry hay/alfala is having a noteable change in his desire to proceed. aging it up to an hour and a half -- again seeing change.

I know that it might not be a breed standard thing, but it certainly says something about a dog that will do this correctly from 30' away without being forced (at least not on trial day). And then go out and do pretty obedience and powerful bitework.

I have a new found appreciation for the training involved in schutzhund!

lg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts