Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm grossed out right now. I found a huge tick on my dogs neck yesterday. The day before I found 2 little ones not yet latched on. I use Revolution for heartworm. It says it controls fleas & ticks too. We don't have fleas. I hike in the local foothills 3 days a week & wonder if that's where they come from. Is there a product I can use in conjunction with Revolution to keep the blood suckers away? For now, I'm going over Arkane as carefully as I can after hiking & tracking too.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
frontline plus is what i use. still go over the dogs, esp ears, neck, legs, haunches---well, i guess i go over the dogs, esp when they've been out in long grass/woods.

the F/P will give you a good crop of dead little ticks, but there always seems to be those few that get off and crawl around, or that haven't attached yet to get their dose of poison.

personally, i LOVE lighting them up w/butane :) :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks Connie....little trivia info in that second paragraph;)

I'm allergic to fleas...might as well have fire ants bite me - the same symptoms occur:-& The only thing that I have found that prevents fleas is Frontline Plus. Ticks are another story...never found one enbedded in any of my dogs, but I have found a few walking around on the outside of their coats. I'm usually the one picking ticks of myself after a romp in the woods with the dogs. I can handle the ticks....but chiggers are something else altogether.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
lacey-does frontline+ do ANYTHING about fire ants?? i'd use it on myself if it did, and if i lived anywhere those NASTY things live!!

and chiggars? is there anything that works as a repellent? i go berry hunting every summer, get a dose, and would REALLY love to know a good one....

well, it's that time of "buggy" year ladies and gents; let's hear your best remedies for the creepy/crawlies!!!!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Nope frontline + does nothing for fire ants. Stepped in a pile of them one night on a traffic stop . Stood there conducting business and just as I was finished....they ALL decided it was time to bite. All I gotta say is thank goodness for the woods nearby or the video recorder in my vehicle would have recorded alot more then just a traffic stop:oops: On my property I use instant grits to get rid of em' - safe for the dogs...and it actually does work.

I have yet to find anything that works against chiggers at least for me. I have allergic reactions to most biting insects:eek:

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
PREVENTIC COLLAR.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, works on ticks like a Preventic collar. Revolution is only approved for use against the American dog tick; Frontline is approved for three more species of tick, but the tick has to bite in order to be killed, and it's not instantaneous. You will often have to pull off dead ticks in high infestation areas.

Preventic is a repellent in addition to a pesticide and works better. One preventic collar will work for something like three months, and esp. in dogs that go in the water a lot, it lasts longer. It sucks that they have to wear the collar, though :(

I know you can buy them at the vet's offices, not through most stores, but I would think you could get them off the internet too. I bet they're made in conjunction with Advantage, b/c before they came out with Advantix, they did a promotional offer where they gave free Preventic collars with every box of Advantage.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the good advise. Jeff, I have heard that back east sometimes ticks fall out of trees like rain. After reading the article (Connies' link) I understand it has to do with their cycles. I didn't realize birds carried ticks too. Disgusting little bastids.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I gotta clear up the misconception that with Frontline+ the tick has to bite to be killed. Frontline+ is absorbed into the dog's sebaceous glands. It is secreted from the glands, coating each individual hair.

Frontline+ is a chemical that causes an "active death." It messes with the little buggers and causes them to run, squirm and hop like mad while they are dying. (thus the perception that the chemical isn't working properly)

If Frontline+ is properly applied, the tick is supposed to get a lethal dose of the chemical before it reaches the skin.

Frontline+ is less effective for 48 hours after getting wet. It does wash off the hair, but as it is stored in the sebaceous gland, it recoats the hair.

One preventic collar will work for something like three months, and esp. in dogs that go in the water a lot, it lasts longer.
Aren't ALL "Flea collars" extremely toxic when wet?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Just FYI...do NOT use any sort of flea/tick spray, topical, or collar with permethrin. It's a synthetic pyrethroid, a potent neurotoxin, and a known endocrine disruptor. It's found in those gawd awful Hartz drops, Biospot drops, and K9 Advantix. It's also been traced to numerous deaths.

http://www.apnm.org/publications/resources/fleachemfin.pdf
http://www.ehponline.org/docs/1999/107p173-177go/abstract.html
http://www.hartzvictims.org/

I do use Frontline, but I don't put it on every month (more like every 6 weeks or so and not at all in the winter). I'd prefer not to use anything at all. Can't wait to get chickens for the yard if we buy a house out in the country. Apparently they are excellent tick killers.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty sure that with all of the topical stuff, the tick has to bite before he will be killed (I've e-mailed them just to be sure), but a tick must be attached for 3 days before disease can be spread.

I've also used the Preventic collar, but you have to take it off if the dog is going to be getting wet, and wait until the dog is dry again before you put it back on. It contains Amitraz.

PLEASE, please please do NOT put a flea collar in your vacuum, people! All that does is spew the chemicals out into the air in your home and it can make you and your family sick. If you have fleas in your house, then you need to change your vacuum bag EVERY TIME you vacuum, and if you want to, you can put a flea collar in the bag when you take it off to throw it away (outside, of course!), but do NOT run your vacuum with a flea collar in the bag!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty sure that with all of the topical stuff, the tick has to bite before he will be killed (I've e-mailed them just to be sure), but a tick must be attached for 3 days before disease can be spread.
Please post the email response. I got the info from a company rep who did a presentation at the vet clinic I worked at.

I haven't heard the 3-day rrule. But I have been told that tick saliva is vile stuff and dogs can get unknown diseases simply from getting bitten. I wasn't so sure about this because there wasn't any evidence and we all know that not everything vets say is true.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I had not heard of the three-day thing either.

I did read on some vet school site that while the new Tiguvon is effective, it requires that the tick be fully engorged before it kills it, whereas Preventic kills the tick more quickly.

I wish it was better defined, but so far everything I have read is slightly outdated because of these new products.

I found some info on Preventic:

Preventic collars for the prevention of tick infestations are available over the counter. They should be placed on the pet snug enough to allow 2 fingers to fit between the collar and the neck. Regularly monitor the tightness of the collar, especially in growing dogs. Amitraz collars do NOT control fleas. The collar should be replaced every 4 months. Normal rainfall will not affect the collar, but remove it before bathing. Remove if any sign of irritation occurs. Do not handle the collar and do not allow children to handle or play with the collar. Do not use the collar on sick dogs.

from
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&articleid=1376

Several vet sites say not to use on puppies under 4 months old.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts