Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, not the dog. In my lifetime, I've been bitten by more ticks than I could ever count. Wednesday, the 6th, I was bitten by a tick between my first and second finger of my left hand. We were working in a building introducing drugs to the new dogs. I didn't think anything of it. Sunday, it started swelling, by today it was half my hand is swollen, a big pustule has formed and it hurts all the way to my elbow. I broke down and went to the health clinic we have for state workers. The doctor was brilliant. He said; you have an infection. I was amazed at his genius. I told him it was a tick bite and he asked how that happened. I said, don't know, but since I train dogs, I'm assuming I got it off one of them. He said; you have to watch dogs, they sometimes get ticks. Once again I was amazed, who knew? He did write me a script for doxycycline and told me to come back Wednesday. I told him thanks, but I'd stop by my personal physician. Darn thing is sore though. If I hadn't pulled the tick off myself, I'd swear it was a brown recluse bite, which I've also had, years ago.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
But you did do (or are doing) the antibiotic, right?

An infected tick can carry several kinds of infections, all of the ones I read about on IntelliHealth curable if treated right away.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
David: I think you would be wise to call your own Doctor first thing in the morning so you can verify the right dosage on the doxyclicline. I know someone whose' dog was prescribed too low a dose & ended up having to double the dosage so I wouldn't be surprised if the super doc you just went to screwed up on that. If your hand continues to get noticeably worse over the next couple of hours, I suggest you go ahead & call your regular doctors service & leave a message for a call back.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do stupid things, but I'm not stupid. I am taking the medication. I didn't talk to my doctor, but the pharmicist said it was the usual dosage. Small towns huh, ain't they great.

DFrost

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Tim: If I recall, Woody kind of told some tall tales about tick bites that had you going for a minute!!!! Fact, I think that was one of the all time greatest threads ever!

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about that thread, but couldn't remember what Woody called it. If I had remembered, I'd have asked the doc, I'm sure that would have had him scouring his texts. ha ha.

Tim, I'm not even complaining about the infection, just surprised is all. First time ever out of thousands of ticks.

DFrost

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I just re-read the thread & Tim - What's it worth to you for us not to show this to your cohorts??? I didn't even remember the last two pages of the thread & they are hysterical. This is classic Working Dog Forum

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Tim: If I recall, Woody kind of told some tall tales about tick bites that had you going for a minute!!!! Fact, I think that was one of the all time greatest threads ever!
believe me, i was freaked out about it long before i came on here and posted about it. while true woody's prank had me for about a half a second, i didn't need any help getting freaked out. i still get crap at the pd for how i came into the station when the thing was burrowing itself into my flesh...

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
believe me, i was freaked out about it long before i came on here and posted about it. while true woody's prank had me for about a half a second, i didn't need any help getting freaked out. i still get crap at the pd for how i came into the station when the thing was burrowing itself into my flesh...
no, hold yourself Selena[-X Don´t say the S-word :-#

Still teased about Tim?

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been gone since early morning on a cadaver search. Of course it's grass, shoulder high and then into a cane break. I'm fully ticked and chiggered. This day has just completely sucked. Can I say sucked on here?

DFrost

1 - 20 of 39 Posts