Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
which idiot is the handler of Banjo? Dog is doing ok...but not really a leg dog(if he may choose) and the bungeeline :roll: saw 3 almost civil bites and i´m not sure what you clipped out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which idiot is the handler of Banjo?

Well Selena that IDIOT is my friend and training partner. No idiot by the way, one of the better trained decoys around, also a medical doctor.

I didn't expect such a lovely comment from the "Super Moderator" but I should come to expect no surprizes in the dog world.

I will try and explain Banjo for you, though you deserve nothing. Banjo is not for sale or donation, it's my friends personal dog. This dog is nearly a year old and has shown nothing. Could not teach him any bite work, didn't have enough sustaining prey drive to keep a grip or not go into avoidance. Very frustrating indeed. My friend held onto this dog when most everyone INCLUDING me told him to try another dog. We put on video, his second time on a leg, he is not a finished dog SELENA. Yes, about two weeks ago, something just clicked in this dog and he grew a set of balls and has really turned on to everyone's amazement. We were told these genetics mature late and we should be patient. Luckily the owner {IDIOT} was patient, because he is doing great now and of course Selena thank you so much for pointing out, we can now start working on better targeting. Nothing has gone normal with this dogs training.

Any other kind words of encouragement from the Super Selena, just go ahead and share.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
you've got to admit though that using a bungie line with an unprotected decoy would raise most people's eyebrows. i would have said something, but i knew if anyone said anything other than, "GREAT DOGS. AWESOME HANDLING AND DECOY WORK", you'd get all sensitive and hurt.

they do look like nice, green dogs by the way...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I do appreciate you compassion towards my saftey Tim. I have working with Banjo since he got here. The whole reason for using the bunjee is knowing exactly how far he can reach. He only just started biting for real and we both felt we wanted to give him the reward of the leg sleeve. Getting bit in training happens, I'm not affraid of that. Taking one for team is apart of the decoy business.

Yes the dog has been normally hitting a sleeve, but you and Selena must keep in mind, to goal of this dog is French Ring. Ideally, we want a leg bitter and will keep trying to make him comfortable with that. The video was his second time on a leg sleeve, and had questions been asked, I would happily answer, not in a hurt and sensitive manner. But to call him an idiot, please, that is just ridiculous, no matter if it was you, Selena or whoever. Show some respect and class is all I hope for, and since I have been on this list for a month or so, it's a rare thing here. These lists go badly really quick when the dominant personalities on them are the tabloid reactionary types.

Who monitors the monitors?

Bryan

·
Registered
705 Posts
try putting this dog on a back tie. and try gettin the bite a lil lower. i myself like bungee lines. but the backtie adds safety. you can place cones or some object to indicate how far the dog can go. you might want to try and put this dog on a suit just incase. i have been bit many times and dont mind when it happens. but i would rather not be bit. i think the dog is past a leg sleeve though the suit should be more suitable. not tryin to be critical just offering some advise.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i take that back you did have markers to tell how far the dog could go

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
i take that back you did have markers to tell how far the dog could go
but the point is, if a person is holding the bungie and not COMPLETELY posted, those markers are meaningless.

bryan, i didn't make any comments about the dog's leg aptitude. if you say those are the dog's first bites, then i take you at your word and it wasn't bad. targeting isn't nearly as difficult as it was to just get the dog to bite i'm sure. besides, since these are the dogs first bites, targeting is the last thing to be concerned about. praising the hell out of the dog and giving it confidence is way more important at that stage in the game.

a lot of times, those "late blooming" dogs that the switch goes on at about 2 have made for some very good PSD's i've seen...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
a lot of times, those "late blooming" dogs that the switch goes on at about 2 have made for some very good PSD's i've seen...
The first time I saw this dog during protection training, I thought Raul was crazy. The dog wanted nothing to do with the sleeve or the decoy. The turn-around has been totally amazing and if I didn't see it for myself I wouldn't have believed it. Huge learning experience for me.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Gotta admit I was a bit shocked :eek: at the word chosen to describe the handler by Selena [-X ...something I've never seen before or expected to see from her, but then we are all human and make mistakes......things have been a bit strained here lately. I've also found that sometimes it helps to put a paragraph or two before the links explaining what you are well aware of concerning a dog and some history.

The title of the thread threw me off - so the third dog is going to be doing FR? I'm trying to learn this sport myself - glad the owner/handler stuck it out with this dog and went with his gut feelings.....hoping it pays off for him in the end.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a lot of times said:
He is back tied up to a picnic table, Raul simply pulls back and forth to frustrate a bit. He cant come any further then the two white buckets on the side of us. PSDs is not the goal and with Ring training, we need to give him options and he needs to comfortable everywhere on the body, the simple fact I am showing a leg and he wants to only bite up top is a reason to work the leg.

I welcome any and all comments and critiques that establish dialogue for training purposes, don't insult me or my friends with kiddie school name calling, where does that get this list?

Bryan

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am perfectly OK with what she said. Was it really that big a deal?? Maybe she was thinking of all the new people that don't work dogs that might see this video and think the wrong thing.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm fairly certainly Jeff, insulting you might take all day. So knowing that you are perfectly ok with calling a complete stranger an idiot, well let's just say, I'm not shocked you feel that way:))

Can we now move on?

I'm not hurt, I was simply brought up a certain way. That's all.

I wish Selena and Tim lots of love still.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
He is back tied up to a picnic table, Raul simply pulls back and forth to frustrate a bit. He cant come any further then the two white buckets on the side of us. PSDs is not the goal and with Ring training, we need to give him options and he needs to comfortable everywhere on the body, the simple fact I am showing a leg and he wants to only bite up top is a reason to work the leg.

I welcome any and all comments and critiques that establish dialogue for training purposes, don't insult me or my friends with kiddie school name calling, where does that get this list?

Bryan
he is only back tied when the markers are used. on all bites up to that point, including when you're agitating him with the whip and no equipment, he is not tied to anything...

but whatever, i like the dogs. good luck with all three of them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The dog looks like he is doing well. However, I wouldn't recommend holding a bungee line in your hands... Because the handler really has no control over the dog then. The only time I saw the back tie was at the end. Which I was shocked that the decoy didn't get a chunk taken out of his leg. There were a few very close calls there. Good luck with the training!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts