Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about a week, my car has been making a funny noise. It sounds kind of like when a car has been straight-piped - like a humming sound - but not nearly as loud as a straight-piped car. I noticed it more at speeds between 45 and 55, but then it kind of quieted down at 70 and above, and I could put the car in neutral and the noise would increase & decrease as my speed would increase & decrease, so I didn't think it was the muffler or anything.

I took it to the shop this morning, and they called me just a few minutes ago and said that the wheel bearings were going, on both the right front AND right rear, and it was going to cost around $600 to have them fixed! I'm going to have to put it on the Visa, which I have been trying all year to get paid off (I hate credit cards! :lol: ).

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Ouch! About 2 months ago, my husband literally broke the wheel on his Toyota Camry (probably by going over a pothole). It needed two alignments, a new wheel, new tire, new something else all to the tune of about $800. *grumble grumble* However, it seems that ever since we set up a $1000 emergency fund, less crazy stuff has been happening. I hate credit cards too!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I took it to the shop this morning, and they called me just a few minutes ago and said that the wheel bearings were going, on both the right front AND right rear, and it was going to cost around $600 to have them fixed! I'm going to have to put it on the Visa, which I have been trying all year to get paid off (I hate credit cards! :lol: ).
Wow. Here's a better outlook: You just prevented/avoided a very dangerous situation. Two of 'em.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I know. They said that when the wheel bearings go, the wheel locks up, and it can do it anytime, at any speed. But still, OUCH! :-({|=

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
mechanics tend to be on my list too. check out car talk's website (i think it's www.cartalk.com but it might be .org), they have a section devoted to recommended mechanics--it's how i found mine, and he's great!!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
What the heck kinda car do you have for it to cost $600? For my old Camaro those things were like $30 a piece or so. Go to www.autozone.com and look up the price of the parts. Labor for it is very easy for an alignment or tire shop to do for you. Firestone is usually kinda decent on prices.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
This is probably a fwd car with sealed pressed in fr bearings, one per side, the labour charge is usually around 3 hrs for both sides @ whatever it is where you took it, you can't do it yourself unless you have the tools and experience to do so.

If it's not a front wheel drive, then you could be getting hooped but most late model rwd cars use sealed fr. bearings as well.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually it's an AWD car (a 2000 Subaru Forester), but yes, they are pressed-in bearings, and that's why it costs so much. It's $290 per wheel, plus tax, and the dealership is the only place around here that can work on Subarus, that I know of, so I'm kind of stuck.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
i'm tellin' ya, check out that car talk site! and just cause a dealer tells you they're the only ones around that work on *their* type of car, well, that just sets off all kinds of bells and whistles in me....but i'm a suspicious ol' gal :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts