Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone here seems to be in/related to/has been in the force, military, or a protection service. I can see why you guys like the just plan large dogs which are protective/also working.

1. Are there any giant protective dogs which are considered protective and good about not having a growing territory(excludes the ana right off).

2. Does anyone here or know someone who has a giant protective dog who is subscribed to this forum?

NOTE: this is unrelated to the last topic as I'm asking about protective not health. I should have asked these questions in the last topic.

·
Banned
11,727 Posts
If you have a Anatolian shepherd, and do a lot of training, you can have success with teaching perimeter.

Most large breeds have been infested with show people, and their clueless view of what their temperament should be.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could definitely buy the whole show thing. Maybe many of these show breeders are infesting a good breed with dogs which have unwanted traits. I could try looking for a ana breeder who breeds only for enforcement. I'll research anas again once I get through others on my list.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
David Ross said:
1. Are there any giant protective dogs which are considered protective and good about not having a growing territory(excludes the ana right off).
Sound presas, as far as I understand them. They pretty much care about what's in a 30 foot radius of you or them.

2. Does anyone here or know someone who has a giant protective dog who is subscribed to this forum?
Matt Keating is a member and from Red Star Kennels, they train working Presas. He doesn't check in so much, though. If you want to send him some questions I can tell him they're waiting when I see him this weekend.

You might consider some of the molosser forums for info on mastiffs, etc., though get ready for some serious nuttiness. A lot of members here have experience with all types of dogs but most all of them stay away from giant breeds for many different reasons, not least of which is that it's rare to find them usable for protection, service or the sports practiced here. None of this is meant as a knock on giant breeds. And certainly not suggesting you have to go somewhere else for forum stuff (seriously).

·
Banned
329 Posts
I like the Anatolian Shepherd too, by their description in the "oh so hated by Jeff :lol: :lol: " Dogs In Canada Magazines. They are the only dogs I ever read up on. That as Jeff calls the AKC type book and breeders, and I agree with that. But I always pick one up and flip to the Anatolian breed, even considered getting one but always felt, with their size and character if bred to the old type, they would be too much of a dog for me to trust and train around the city.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.