Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the whole dog training world, I am pretty much here to see what I can learn from other trainers or get tips on things. Being new I am not one to comment on anything that has to do with a lot of training being that I don't know that much. However, I do believe that everyone has their own style of training that works for them. There are a bunch of different sports out there to try and I don't see anything wrong with trying a bit of everything. But I have been around the forum a little bit reading... being that most of the people on here are adults I am shocked that the moderators have to lock stuff when people get into it. I was pretty excited to be a part of the dog world. But honestly after seeing all the ridicule you get from some people, I am taken back at how immature people can be. I mean seriously. It makes me second guess everything before I put it on here because you never know what someone is going to say to you. If I say I like a certain sport, or a certain breed of dog or a certain training style. That is putting yourself out there for people to just hate on you.... Kinda crazy... I am not here to get into fights with people or talk a bunch of sh*t, I am just here to see what I can learn....

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Agreed.

Please PM any mod any time that we miss personal insults or anything else that is inappropriate among a group of so-called adults.

We can't be everywhere all the time, but we don't like that pre-puberty bullying any more than the forum posters do.

Just because it's ubiquitous in the training world does not mean that we can't aim for something a tad more mature.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Quote:I don't see anything wrong with trying a bit of everything

This is your perogative, and while sometimes it seems like we are getting a bit carried away, the reality is that many times you have to be a bit hard to get someone to respond to what you want them to. There is quite a bit of BS on the internet, and we get a lot of new people that are easily distracted from the reality of what a dog is. Many people are like politicians and answer what they want, not the question asked.

Having said that, one of the main purposes for sport is to see the different qualities of a dog. There are many sports out there that really come short when it comes to this. Add this to the general publics lack of standards when it comes to selection, and you have dogs being bred that have no business being bred.

It happens anyway, but that is why some get a little heated. We have been in this a while, and have seen things that we loved destroyed, and dogs getting titles that should be shot instead. Sometimes this comes across in our writing.

As a new person to dogs, this, I thought you should know. When you have been around a bit, hopefully you will be as passionate about this stuff as we are, and get just as snotty. Until then, I will call you N00B and be smiling on this end of the internet. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
705 Posts
glad to see people are takin what my wife said well. she is just gettin started in the dog worls. i have been in it for a while and i am tryin to help teach her as much as i can. i hope she gets the same passion we have for the world of dog training.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
kim-this site is the epitome of decorum and good manners compared to some. i could direct you to those others just so you can compare but i'm not going to--you'd just end up feeling dirty.
stick with us, don't take anything personally, and you'll be fine :D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I definitely understand where your comming from Kim but I will say that one needs a fairly thick skin to compete in any dog sport and even more so to post on a forum. There will ALWAYS be those that criticize either behind your back (after a trial/training ) or to your face....everyone has an opinion. I can deal with the constructive criticism.....especially those that will suggest a different method for me to try but those that bash just to bash have taken me a little longer to adjust to. The famous saying: Put three trainers in a room and the only thing 2 of em' will agree upon is that the third one is wrong - kinda holds true here as well.

That said....this is a really good forum with alotta members willing to share their knowledge and experience. Granted, sometimes you have to dig through the "bull" to get to the "meat", but it really is worth it in the long run. :wink:

As for trying all the sports..........Here is one dog that has set the bar (at least for me) and shows the versatility of the breed: Congrats to Lisa Maze and Fiest for obtaining first leg of FR3....he is already an IPO3 and a MR3.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Well said Lacey! One more thing is all of us are dog people, but not necessarily "people" people, and consequently a little more abrupt because of how much it means to us. Finally, sometimes what is written comes out more stridently than if it had just been spoken. Lastly, most of our barks are much worse than our bites!

·
Registered
827 Posts
That is one thing that bugs me, when someone post something they are jumped on. Why? Also I really don't agree with all the sport bashing, what is the point? If you don't like a sport then so be it. There are things in certain sports and sports that I don't like or "understand" but I don't see it to be necessary to ramble on about it. I don't know, maybe these people who are always doing the bashing are just jealous, why put something down when you have NEVER seen it in person nor do you understand it. I feel its best to be supportive and to lend a helping hand when you truely have the knowledge that someone is seeking. So welcome Kim and Steve, you'll just have to over look some of the immaturities here, but please understand that overall there are a lot of people in this forum that are VERY knowledgable and are VERY helpful, and there is a lot of playing that goes on so being able to take jokes is helpful. :D

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
jay lyda said:
That is one thing that bugs me, when someone post something they are jumped on. Why? Also I really don't agree with all the sport bashing, what is the point? If you don't like a sport then so be it. There are things in certain sports and sports that I don't like or "understand" but I don't see it to be necessary to ramble on about it. I don't know, maybe these people who are always doing the bashing are just jealous, why put something down when you have NEVER seen it in person nor do you understand it. I feel its best to be supportive and to lend a helping hand when you truely have the knowledge that someone is seeking. So welcome Kim and Steve, you'll just have to over look some of the immaturities here, but please understand that overall there are a lot of people in this forum that are VERY knowledgable and are VERY helpful, and there is a lot of playing that goes on so being able to take jokes is helpful. :D
Also well-said.

Bashing anyone's sport is not what we're about here.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, exactly why I just read here :D Unless I have something nice to say about someone or their dog. The rest........well its just not worth the time or the trouble.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
No this is a horrible forum. People get addicted, then constantly post pictures, n spend more time talking about cutesy puppy pics than they do training. Jobs are lost, lives are ruined, divorce papers get filed. It's really not a good thing. Get out while you still can!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol well there won't be any divorce papers filled here, I think my husband and I are both kinda into the whole forum thing... I think I am getting just as bad as he is. however, I don't get much house work done when I am sitting on the computer reading all this stuff! lol

I love the cute puppy pictures! I think that is the best part!

I like to read the posts and see whats going on. I like the training pictures also, but cute puppy pictures are awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts