Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK kong's keep my puppy occupied for a while if I fill it up with the spray cream crap that costs $8 from PetSmart and throw it in the freezer so she doesn't lick it out in 12 seconds.... but the $8 spray tube doesn't last that long with 2 dogs either.... someone mentioned using cheez-wiz in a kong, is that appropriate?

Also I don't want to overdo it and introduce too much stuff that can be bad for a pup or upset their stomach etc, how much of cheez-wiz is suitable? Or is there something else that's more suitable? Anything to keep my lil shithead quiet and occupied when hse's in the crate would be great, but not if it's gonna cost another $20-30/week to buy the stupid refills from PetSmart :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,210 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
OK kong's keep my puppy occupied for a while if I fill it up with the spray cream crap that costs $8 from PetSmart and throw it in the freezer so she doesn't lick it out in 12 seconds.... but the $8 spray tube doesn't last that long with 2 dogs either.... someone mentioned using cheez-wiz in a kong, is that appropriate?

Also I don't want to overdo it and introduce too much stuff that can be bad for a pup or upset their stomach etc, how much of cheez-wiz is suitable? Or is there something else that's more suitable? Anything to keep my lil shithead quiet and occupied when hse's in the crate would be great, but not if it's gonna cost another $20-30/week to buy the stupid refills from PetSmart :lol:
Reduced-fat cream cheese (if fat's an issue) or Neufchatel; the kind of peanut butter with one ingredient from health food stores; grind (food processor) up part of the meat/organs from the dinner and fill the Kong, then freeze it. With each one, you can smear it around the inside rather than filling it, and find out how it affects the digestive system (if at all). I never actually fill it; I smear the inside thoroughly. You can also take a softish chew-treat (human-quality turkey or salmon jerky, etc.) and force it into the Kong so it's a lot of work to get it out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,751 Posts
is cheez wiz something like \"smeerkaas\"? \"leverpastei\" is an option. Or some yoghurt and than freeze it (first under running water for give it). Or kibble and paste some cheez wiz on the hole. There are site with all ideas on kong fillings, google is the magic word here :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,452 Posts
I use canned pumpkin, the \"ground\" kind of canned dog food, cream cheese, peanut butter, liver mush, or plain yogurt. Sometimes I will mix in some of the dry kibble; sometimes I won't. I always freeze it overnight, and take it immediately out of the freezer and give it to the dog.

I wouldn't use cheez whiz, or anything that's not 'real' or contains a lot of preservatives. Just my personal choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
I put peanut butter in cow hooves and kongs and freeze them overnight. I also will get some beef liver (from Costco), blend it with a little teeny bit of rice in a food processor, and fill/freeze that. I'll sometimes do the same with chicken. I also make "ice pops" for dogs. I'll take some REAL beef or chicken broth, mix it with a little water, and fill up a few Kongs (with a stopper in the small hole) and stick it in the freezer.
No wonder everyone says my dogs are spoiled!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
Stir up ripe bananas and peanut butter, spread it in them, freeze it.

Except I do this with hooves. My dog doesn't get Kong, for some reason.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,210 Posts
kong

These are great ideas!

BTW, if you're dealing with a piggy dog and watching calories, you can just smear the stuff all around the inside but not fill it, then freeze it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
frozen bananas and PB in a hoof keep a 14 month old toddler way occupied as well. :twisted:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,210 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
frozen bananas and PB in a hoof keep a 14 month old toddler way occupied as well. :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, man, I have to forward this to my daughter. (The one with babies, not the one with earth dogs.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
Raising my babies and my dog side-by-side has been an interesting experience. Having a house full of human toys and baby toys means very little to either puppy or kid...makes for some interesting hygiene experiences. I think they have an unspoken agreement to pre-lick everything for each other.

Having a german shepherd puppy and a kid covered in yogurt and grahm sticks and deli turkey means at least two less baths a week at our place (just kidding). At least the toddler has not started licking Annie through the baby gates.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,210 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
Raising my babies and my dog side-by-side has been an interesting experience. Having a house full of human toys and baby toys means very little to either puppy or kid...makes for some interesting hygiene experiences. I think they have an unspoken agreement to pre-lick everything for each other.

Having a german shepherd puppy and a kid covered in yogurt and grahm sticks and deli turkey means at least two less baths a week at our place (just kidding). At least the toddler has not started licking Annie through the baby gates.
I have a theory. Seriously. I believe that to a great extent, the more the little human is exposed to "stuff," the more s/he is able to ward off disease when a bug comes along.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
I have a theory. Seriously. I believe that to a great extent, the more the little human is exposed to "stuff," the more s/he is able to ward off disease when a bug comes along.
I've always had this same belief, I think folks who are absolutely anal about disinfecting every surface of the house create a weak immune system, especially in kids, but also in adults. If you ever saw the movie "war of the worlds" they show the aliens die from a typical cold... because they didn't live on earth so hadn't built up the immunity that humans had to live in this environment. It drives me nuts when people insist on everything being absolutely 100% clean 100% of the time n freak out if, god forbid, there's paw prints on the tile floor by the front door, or if there's stuff sitting out on the kitchen counters, n wipe everything down with special disinfectant wipes because water or soap n water isn't good enough to "kill everything". OK I'll stop ranting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,210 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
Connie Sutherland said:
I have a theory. Seriously. I believe that to a great extent, the more the little human is exposed to "stuff," the more s/he is able to ward off disease when a bug comes along.
I've always had this same belief, I think folks who are absolutely anal about disinfecting every surface of the house create a weak immune system, especially in kids, but also in adults. If you ever saw the movie "war of the worlds" they show the aliens die from a typical cold... because they didn't live on earth so hadn't built up the immunity that humans had to live in this environment. It drives me nuts when people insist on everything being absolutely 100% clean 100% of the time n freak out if, god forbid, there's paw prints on the tile floor by the front door, or if there's stuff sitting out on the kitchen counters, n wipe everything down with special disinfectant wipes because water or soap n water isn't good enough to "kill everything". OK I'll stop ranting.
It's a good rant. My doctor says that those disinfectant wipes for counters, etc., are "like sprinkling antibiotics around the house." The kill 99% of the bacteria, leaving the way open for the strong 1% (or whatever) to become stronger, with no competition, in the way that using only a partial RX of antibiotics does it.

This is a tad off topic, but we are in the "lounge." :lol: I like the convenience of those wipes, and I don't always remember to microwave the sponges (germ heaven is a wet sponge!) and I do handle lots of raw meat for dogs. But I don't want to use the disinfectant "antibacterial" wipes.

Took me a while to find (or think of) an alternative for when I want to wipe up something sticky or gross quicker than soap and water -- Ta Da! Windex (or generic) wipes!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top