Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping some one can help me out with a suggestion or two concerning the stand as I have been trying several things to no avail: I initially worked with Coda on her stand after the sit and down when she was much younger. I stopped working the stand a few months before her BH as I wanted to ensure that she was solid on only the commands for the BH. The last couple of weeks I have been reintroducing the command while working the obedience routine. I was actually convinced that she understood the command as she would stand in motion, stand while running and when I told her to stand while throwing the kong - no problem. A couple of days ago I was working with her, I was giving random commands - Down to sit, Sit to Down, Down to Stand - she acted as if she had no clue on the down to a stand command. Not a fluke - as I have tried this numerous times over the last couple of days. Maybe I'm just over analyzing this but I'm wondering if I mistakenly taught her the word for stand - means stay, don't move. In SchH/IPO this would not be a concern, because she does stand (stops all forward motion and remains still on the stand in motion and running) but if I want to do Ring with her it will be a problem. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
I don't use the word stand, it has always caused me problems. I have been using the word "brace" but my next dog maybe not, as it sounds a lot like wait.

If you have a reactive dog, stepping quickly at the dog, does a pretty good job.

Stand is a MFer, for sure. I do a lot more stand in training due to real life only requireing sit or down.

In training, I do sit stand, down, stand. That way I get a bunch in.

I think that I have always had to look at the dogs personality before I choose a way to teach the dog.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I have the same problem. Right now I'm trying to teach it again on a table. I like Jeff's idea about taking a step toward the dog. What about tying out the dog at a distance and making it stand?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
... If you have a reactive dog, stepping quickly at the dog, does a pretty good job.
In down to stand, how about backing up a little (esp while raising a lure)?

I never tried steppng at the dog.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Connie,

The reason backing up wasn't suggested if ring sport was a goal is because during the change of positions, the dog is not supposed to creep forward. Handler backing up to lure the dog would encourage the dog to creep forward and stepping towards the dog would more likely encourage the dog to pop up on its legs in a stand, which is what would be more desirable in ring. Or if it is my dog, Gina, it will just crawl backwards and stay in a down.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Train the stand - or re- train the stand - as the case may be, using a lure (food?) from the heel position, moving your hand (and the lure) out, away from you, and away from your dog's nose. Start it from a sit, then from a down, then randomize, then randomize the reward (giving the dog the lure in your hand). Remember you first have to use a lure, then associate the hand movement and lure to a verbal cue, then phase out first the lure, then the hand movement. Come back to them as needed, though. Then do it from the front of your dog. Your dog will be moving forward when he downs from a sit, when he stands from a sit, so put him behind a step, to start teaching him to fold back, and stay in place; then move to a smaller (4" diameter) and smaller (1/2" diameter) PVC tube in front of the dog, then to a string, a piece of tube, of wood a blade of grass, etc. Some dogs will down from a sit sideways to the tube. For this you can use a 3 sided tube "box".

For the stand in motion...do it slowly. Walk with the dog, say stand with the lure, when he stops and does not stand, use a NRM, and repeat until he stands. Then increase the speed. Then randomize commands at a distance. You can also (for distance changes) tie the dog to something, and if he complies, toss him some food.

Towards the end of the training, use a NRM if the dog is even a bit slow, or if he moves ONE foot. The objective is a really solid stand. Jump over him, toss a ball, whatever to encourage him to fail.

All it is is time, timing, and dog reading.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will give - quickly stepping at her a try - and see how it goes.

:idea: If Ring does not require me to use one language for all commands as SchH/IPO does (I use Dutch commands because it is easier to give one command and have all my dogs respond), then it might be in my best interest to just teach another word for going to the stand from down or sit for Ring. I have not read the rules completely for MR/FR so I am unsure - if someone can enlighten me.

Currently I can jump over her, dance around her, throw her kong and she will not break the stand (from in motion heal) until I give her another command. I'm on a fence right now about going backwards and reteaching everything - as I might lose that nice stand in motion I have already. :?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just bring Coda to my house Lacey. Rommel will teach her how to stand. :lol: :lol: Heheheheheh......

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amanda that would only work if Coda was in estrus :oops: Although I think Dobermen's and Malinois are beautiful dogs. I really believe I would become an advocate of culling if Rommel and Coda ever "got together" :eek: BTW your mind is getting just as bad....if not worse then Scott's :twisted: Next you'll be talking about his favorite subject.... :arrow: 00

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I initially teach the stand at the foose/heel position.
Hold food in the right hand and touch the dog in the flank area with the left.
A nose (dogs :eek: ) to the flank area is a natural way for an adult to inspect a pup and they will naturally lock up.
Course if you've used the flanking grab for any type of aggression/defence or out training it may not go well. :D
I'm not a big believer in that anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts