Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
man, I love that dog. Rebecca has a 'mini-mal' too. I've told her that if she meets Badja (sp?), she'll understand why a pocket rocket can be just as good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kristina where did you get her? If you find that home let me know because I'm hoping the same for Maza. He's got a lot of personality and is quick too, man they look like they could be from the same litter (yikes could it be)?! I can't wait to see your dogs in person. Are you taking her to the trial? Amber say the word and Maza is yours :smile: in the right home he too could be a phenomenal dog.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Kristina, have you thought about training her for detection? From what I remember, she was NOT lacking in toy drive ;) she would probably be phenomenal at it.

And Rebecca, nice try - but Angaar outweighs Maza by 40 lbs, and he doesn't take kindly to male dogs....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Badja will be one year old June 22nd.
She is out of Rick Rutt's "Titan" (FR3 NARA champ at some point I believe) and a female of his "Taiga". Everything about her is just awesome. If she were over 50lbs, I would not even consider placing her.
Amber, she has enough toy drive for 5 mals. Really, anything moving anywhere at any time is a drive item. She has great focus and hunt and no environmental issues with slick floors, hight or tight places so shed definitely be an awesome detection dog.
However.....I co-own her with Rick and can sell her, but not unless they are also willing to co-own her with him. Thus, the problem with trying to sell to to really anyone outside of a sport home. He just wants to have the option of breeding to her at some point and to approve of breeding partners so its not like it's that tight, but its still (understandably) more than most want to deal with. :(

·
Registered
580 Posts
hmmm... seems to me that it might be kinda difficult to find her a breeding partner anyway. though from what I've seen of her, she's definitely breed worthy as far as working abilities go, I'd think a female that small might have difficulties as a brood bitch with any average sized male mal. maybe I'm wrong, though. (Maren!! calling for you!! :p )

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I definitely have concerns about her being bred due only to her size. She would have to be AI'd with most males and then I would definitely bank on her needing a c-section.
BUT! The co-ownership agreement was that he has final say if he wants to breed her. Likewise (and I kinda like this in a contract) if I wanted to breed her, he has a say in who she is bred to. He pre-approved Gator when I picked her up, I just dont want to take the risk of her health and am not interested in producing more 40lb mals.
Other than that, shes the coolest pygmy mal ever. She hits harder (not pound for pound, either...) than many 60lb+ dogs that I have had.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
just as an interesting note (i hope), when it comes down to pulling, pound for pound, a pulling pony will out-pull a draft horse. maybe a "pony-mal" will out-bite (or whatever) a "draft-mal".

and, i kinda hate to say it, a "draft-GSD" will always be "out-pulled" by a "normal" (define that please and thank you) GSD. but to hell w/those oversized GSD!! a pet peeve..... :)

and did some one say "size matters"???

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the flip side, Kristina, have you thought about continuing to breed mini-mals? Maybe even a teacup version eventually!! Can't you see Paris Hilton carrying around an adorable mini-mal in her handbag? You might be looking at some serious money once they become a fad!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, yes, at length. We would call them "Pocket protectors".

Likewise, we thought about breeding her to a border collie, calling them "Malncollies" and creating the best habitually depressed Agility dogs EVER!

Those are plan B.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well I hope the mini-mals stay around. In like 2016 - 2019 I will be looking for a mini-mal :grin: I wonder how much the breed will change by then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts