Working Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would like to learn about Alaskan Malamute and Saint Bernard and every other working breed. I have no experience at all working with either of the breeds mentioned and know very little about them.

·
Banned
11,727 Posts
Quote: Specifically Alaskan Malamute and Saint Bernard.

You mean pulling a sled is considered "work"????? I don't get it. Are you looking for how to teach one of these breeds how to do it?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
oh lord, i can see it coming: let's define "work" vs "excercise" before we even go further ok?

can we agree to use either Webster or physics (but then we have to define "energy", "force", and what else, woody? )? but we'll probably have to use a combination of the dictionary and basic physics.....

i have a headache already ](*,) ](*,)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
A working dog is any dog optimized, through breeding and training, to do work too dirty, to dangerous, or too difficult for humans to do themselves.

Sledding counts.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, I do live in Alaska so I require a dog which can pull in the snow. Actually doing special trained situations like cleaning my floor will be later on. ;)

You don't consider pulling work? So, all the farmers which used horse and oxen to plow their fields were exrcise? eh?

Currently I've a Malamute, her sole purpose is a running partner right now. She is not breeding or show material. I do want to learn what makes a good dog, and learn how to become a reputable breeder. I will be finding a new home for the cute girl, but I'm trying to hold off spaying her until she is a good age. Currently she is 1 year old, and I still feel she has some growing to do not only emotionally but physically. She is a great dog and will do best as a pet. There are other reasons, but mainly to do with my leg. I thought I'd try running as much I can but my knee is giving out. I dare not tell it to the litter owner. I'm young and my knee is going out, she would know I knew about my knee and start getting angry at me for not thinking about it. :(

I'm thinking about a Saint Bernard in terms of a lazier dog. Even the breeders up here in Alaska seem to be very well minded on topics like culling, self-medicating, and patch up work. With malamutes and smaller sized dogs I've found the breeders to be most distasteful to the topics above, even though I've raised small wild life in the past.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woody Taylor said:
A working dog is any dog optimized, through breeding and training, to do work too dirty, to dangerous, or too difficult for humans to do themselves.

Sledding counts.
Which is the reason peopel used to have 10 kids! Hook the kids on the sled and start pulling. :D

just kidding.

·
Banned
11,727 Posts
Quote: You don't consider pulling work? So, all the farmers which used horse and oxen to plow their fields were exrcise?

Get those dogs to plow a field and your damn skippy I will call it work. Pulling some lazy guy around in the snow????? Riiiiiight, lets call it work.

G

·
Because it's a different use for a dog doesn't mean it's not work, a recreational dog team might just be having fun and getting some excersize also.

A picture of a team coming up Eagle Summit, During a Yukon Quest race.

http://i17.tinypic.com/3312lv5.jpg

Looks like work to me.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Quote: You don't consider pulling work? So, all the farmers which used horse and oxen to plow their fields were exrcise?

Get those dogs to plow a field and your damn skippy I will call it work. Pulling some lazy guy around in the snow????? Riiiiiight, lets call it work.
The first thought which comes to mind for sled work is actually pulling objects I'd use, like firewood.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
There's more to it than that, Jeff. They have to learn how to work with their 'teammates,' how not to tangle the lines, and not to take off after other animals, etc. It isn't just about go, stop, left and right. I bet Buko couldn't do it. :twisted: I'd like to see him dragging you up Pike's Peak (in a sled)! :lol:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
David - just ignore Jeff he is "special" :wink: Ever since he has become successful in the "doggy dancing' it has gone right to his head........

Dogs have traditionally been utilized as both transportation(pulling lazy people in the snow, Jeff :) ) and as draught animals - either pulling sleds and freight or as pack/travois animals. Dogs are able to operate in conditions and areas inaccesible to other draught animals and are comparatively easier to keep. Remember Jeff, "sport" is a new concept in dogs- at one time dogs actually had to earn their keep - and still do in some places. Most of the the modern day pursuits of dogsled racing and even weight pull are just continuations of traditional pursuits. I use mine to haul passengers, firewood, eqpt and yes - my lazy arse(hey I was Air Force- I don't walk anywhere if I don't have to...) and have on occasion helped pull the truck out of the ditch.

And Jeff - if you are of the opinion that all that is required is go, stop, left and right I'll issue you a friendly little challenge - we'll tie 10 of your dogs together and ten of mine together and see who gets more work done - I'll bring the beer, you bring the bandaids :D )
That is if you are not too busy running circles around Lacey :wink:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.