Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a case where you are followin a track and the trail comes to a intersection of two or more streets. What are some of the tatics that some of you use to establish direction of travel again.
When there is litle to no contamination I have no problems with this. But in case where there has been heavy foot traffic or multiply cars passing. I am probably about 40% accurate. I generally have the dog work each leg about 20 to 30 yards and go with what i feel is the strongest indication.
Any suggestion?

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
In a case where you are followin a track and the trail comes to a intersection of two or more streets. What are some of the tatics that some of you use to establish direction of travel again. quote]

No response in over 3 years concerns me.

If you still need help PM me.

Huh??
You're concerned that there were no responses in three years and then you say PM you?
If you have some experience with VST tracking and have some suggestions for the OP. How about just posting them.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I don't remember that post. Geez how time flies. Had I seen it I would have answered; From a law enforcement perspective, I'd have to rely on the dog to indicate which way the person went. Absent witnesses or visual track, it's no different that anywhere else I may be tracking. Not every deployment is successful. In training, I would certainly hope the dog is better than 40%.

DFrost

·
Registered
281 Posts
Patrick,
The 20 yards or so I think is ok, I wouldn't go much further because if you go too far it maybe hard to impossible to get back to the real loss of track, but I would cast my dog in semi circles and try to cut the track in order to get a good indication. I would pay special attention to visual ''hints'' that would help confirm the dog's indication he is back on track.
In training I would work on reading the dog's ''negatives'' or loss of tracks.
Just my opinion
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Huh??
You're concerned that there were no responses in three years and then you say PM you?
If you have some experience with VST tracking and have some suggestions for the OP. How about just posting them.
Thomas,

Thanks for posting I put that PM statement in there to spark up a great topic of discussion. No one likes to be left out of a topic of interest. Now that we can see some interest on the topic everyones post is worth the effort and maybe someone will find something that helps them or at least put another tool in the box if they need it. I will have a post, stay tuned

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Thomas,

Thanks for posting I put that PM statement in there to spark up a great topic of discussion. No one likes to be left out of a topic of interest. Now that we can see some interest on the topic everyones post is worth the effort and maybe someone will find something that helps them or at least put another tool in the box if they need it. I will have a post, stay tuned
Jeff,

Looking forward to your post.
I do Schutzhund FST (not very well though :)
I have the HITT seminar DVD that Steve White put out, but didn't get into it too much. It might be time to give it another try. It's a lot easier to find concrete or asphalt then it is to find plowed dirt or grass around here, this time of year :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Tatics at intersections
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cheatham
In a case where you are followin a track and the trail comes to a intersection of two or more streets. What are some of the tatics that some of you use to establish direction of travel again.
When there is litle to no contamination I have no problems with this. But in case where there has been heavy foot traffic or multiply cars passing. I am probably about 40% accurate. I generally have the dog work each leg about 20 to 30 yards and go with what i feel is the strongest indication.
Any suggestion?

At any intersection you have already eliminated one direction of travel when you get there. Thats the one that got you there so at a 4-way intersection you only have 3 choices left.

Lets say that you approach the 4-way from 6 oclock. You have to determine if the trail is at 9,12 or 3 oclock. Since you came into the instersection at 6 oclock it is not a factor unless you missed a turn, the environmental conditions pushed you to the next intersection or a back track occured that can make all directions at the intersection negatives. Dont burn your dog out trying to make something happen at a 3-way dead end.

Not knowing which direction to go I will check my environmental conditions at the time. Wind direction and speed as well vehicle traffic. Lets say the wind is blowing from 9 oclock to 3 oclock and the heavy vehicle traffic is the same direction. The first intersection I will work is the 9 oclock position which is upwind. If the trail does not go there then I will get a negative alert quick.

As soon as I do I update my mental map and say to myself. I got here from 6 oclock and I have eliminated 9 oclock. The only way left is 12 and 3 oclock. The next intersection I work is the 12 oclock position. The wind is not blowing that way and vehicle traffic is less. If the trail does not go that way I will get a negative indication here as well. As soon as I do I update my mental map again. I came in a 6 I eliminated 9 and 12 so 3 oclock is the only way left.

By learning where the trail does not go will show where the trail does go and reduce the need to return to the intersection. The negative indication can come quick or the environmental conditions and vehicle traffic may take you down the street a ways until the dog runs out of scent and then indicates a negative. Either way is ok just be sure you get the negative. You dont decide how far down you work an intersecting street the dog will do it for you. If the trail does not go the way you are going, you will get a negative as long as the dog is not on a cakewalk.

What are trailing indicators? Lead tension, speed, head position, tail position, gait.

What are some negative indicators? Loss of lead tension, speed. The dog stops, the tail drops. The nose goes up and out while the head is turning. The dog is eliminating directions of travel when the nose is out as the head is turning and is not to be confused with air-scenting. The dog begins to circle or go back the other way. If the dog looks you right square in the eye you can pretty much say not this way and draw an imaginary line across the road to indicate nothing past this point in that direction.

Once a direction of travel has been established I work a ways and stop/anchor/line check. If the trail goes the way i am going and I stop my dog, my dog will circle 360 and return to the direction we were going. Alot of times the dog will look at me as if it is wondering why I stopped the train. I can simply say good dog, your right im wrong, lets keep going.

I do alot of things at busy intersections that may slow me down when compaired to other methods however I rarely see the same intersection twice because I did not blow through it taking the first way the dogs wants to go.

Expect to work slower at night, the dog cant see as well and you cant either.

As long as you keep your mental map updated it is alot easier to " stay on track"

What goes on the mental map? Anything you need, the start, the last place you know you had the trail, visual signs for confirmation, articles, negative alerts, distractions, water holes for cooling a dog off.

You may or may not see the same indicators that I have mentioned with my dog. In any event if you can not read the animation in your dog you are setting your self up to fail. Watch out for cars. When cars are coming reel in the dog. You can not keep the dog out of traffic with a 20 ft lead extended. Do not get in the habit of attaching yourself to your lead with a belt. If the dog gets hit you are going on a ride that is surely a drag. Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
A 4 way could have 4 choices. What is to stop the person from crossing the street and going back in the same direction as they came from? I would hope if they backtracked on themselves on same side of road the dog would have picked that up already.

If I were trying to escape someone and I had enough lead, maybe I would just to throw a kink in it. If I were lost I may see something familiar on the other side of the street and walk back that way......

Maybe a lot person would think that way more than a criminal who probaly wants to cover the greatest distance...........

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man I've learned a lot over the years........ I forgot about this post. Will be interesting to see the replys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts