Working Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My name is Steve Leigh, I ran a dog training business for 21 years, beginning in 1981.

In 1991, Gene England invented table training. Within a few weeks, I built a 1000 sq. ft. room for tables.

I used tables constantly from 1991 to 2002. I've trained well over 1000 dogs on tables (under contract), and tested/worked ~ 5000 more dogs.

For those of you wallowing in utter confusion, TABLES ARE NOTHING. They're inert wooden/metal pieces of equipment - which rely 100% on what the "helper" chooses to do or not do.

Consider this concept: tables are NOT tables - they're ecollars. Anyone who desires can get their hands on them. What they DO with them is the entire issue.

***MOD EDIT***

Steve Leigh

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
QUOTE: Anyone who desires can get their hands on them. What they DO with them is the entire issue. END

Good point, IMO, and one that's probably true of every training tool in existence.

P.S. Welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve, I've viewed your website many times in the past :)

Now, since this is a touchy subject for some people, I don't have to tell everyone to keep it civil (people civil not dog civil :lol:), so no name calling or slander, just good quality discussion. I'm hoping that perhaps this thread can educate those of us who know little about table training and perhaps become a reference for those who don't know what it's all about... whatever the consensus will be.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Oke, seen the vids and didn´t read the other **** edit to my own post: also mods have to stay civil...helaas...rare jongens die amerikanen.. ( :roll: :roll: geezzz pleazzz let both sides get a live...). For me this use of the table is like the one Jerry and Gregg discribed in the other thread, just another way to agitate, like poal(?) work..nothing wrong with this..just like I said in the other topic.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Jerry Lyda said:
I've seen them and what do you mean by (wrecked ) ???
I think that was just sarcasm on his part, Jerry. :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerry Lyda said:
I thought so too. What I saw looked good to me. :lol:
My website analyzer shows every hit - including the videos.

I'm sorry to see that none of the table videos have been viewed today ....

I'm sincere - I'd like anyone, anywhere to watch them, and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I've even got one of my own 10 week old puppy - on the round table - biting AND outing on his 3rd session - with no corrections whatsoever.

I'm listening ........

Steve

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Steve Leigh said:
Jerry Lyda said:
I thought so too. What I saw looked good to me. :lol:

I'm sincere - I'd like anyone, anywhere to watch them, and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I've even got one of my own 10 week old puppy - on the round table - biting AND outing on his 3rd session - with no corrections whatsoever.

I'm listening ........

Steve
Steve, my guess is that--given that you've already taken a shot at Jerry, who is a table advocate, and that you're daring people to critique you--that only a sucker (or me) would respond to you if you're operating this way in this forum. We're a pretty laid-back crowd, we're very open about wanting to learn and share, and we tend to "like" each other, for what it is worth, even when we disagree with each other. Just my opinion, and one I may regret voicing, but you are coming on mighty strong for someone who just started posting today. Nobody's going to come out here and attack you, even if they disagree with you...I guess my question for you is...what happens if someone disagrees with you, and offers up valid, informed critique based on their own experiences and opinions? If that results in a flame war and attacks on their character and potential harassment, yeah, it's going to be a quiet room for you.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Steve Leigh said:

I'm listening ........

Steve
I saw 1 and i believe 8, and have given my comment..I really start to dislike your tone, I would suggest as a mod to cool it down.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Steve Leigh said:
.......... if anyone has the nerve to view the videos and respond......

I think maybe it was this sentence that might have given some of the "softer" members (me) a queasy feeling.

Them's fightin' words. :eek:

And I'd like to add that it is possible that forum members could have seen Steve's videos on a different day. I understand that several members here were aware of and have viewed the site in the past. The fact that I just discovered it yesterday doesn't mean that the whole forum did too.

So let's do what the forum owner requests: Let's keep this civil (people civil -- not dog civil), and what Selena suggests: Cool it down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Offense

I meant no offense to anyone by my messages.

Having lived and breathed tables for ~11 years, I admit I'm pretty well polarized in my opinions.

I didn't mean to challenge anyone. If my statements were taken that way, I apologize.

I feel that the more people that watch the videos, the less questions will arise.

Steve

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
As is often said, opinions are like,....... well you get my drift, I certainly have mine and I stated it in the first thread. I think table training is counter-productive. A dog makes a choice from a list of one. Not much of a choice. Having limited choices can sure make a very unreliable dog. That may be ok for sport, but what I train for is not a sport. As for the "invention" of table training, I was introduced to it long before 1981 and I had never heard of the person you mentioned.

DFrost

·
Registered
398 Posts
I viewed your site and couldn't get past your sarcasm and genuine disdain for certain people long enough to understand your point. In fact, I don't think you made one.

I have a background in communications, specializing in interpersonal. If you have a message worth conveying, I would suggest you do it in a manner which does alienate your audience. You have a lot of experience on this topic; wouldn't it be more productive to simply discuss your experiences and ideology? I'm interested in that, but not in your dislike of a few individuals.

As for table training: I can see how it could be easier on the decoy. However, I have serious visions of my dog slipping and injuring himself. I don't think I'd let anyone put him on a table...Does it ever happen the dogs tries to avoid the situation and gets hurt? Or is that a moot point since a dog who is likely to avoid shouldn't be up on the table in the first place?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
My dog fell off the table but not from trying to get away but trying to get closer. He didn't get hurt.
Steve I DID view your videos and I liked what I saw. On this forum you are coming on strong and that's ok with me but maybe this isn't the place or the time to do it. (Pick your battles.)
Keep posting, we can learn from you and you can learn from us. No man has all the answers.

303 Posts
Steve, been to your thread and the dogs look impressive indeed. Somehow you made your points clear to the most that you can. I just don't see why you have to be so sarcastic in dealing with people who disagrees with you. You see, no matter how you do things "right", there's always somebody somehow somewhere who's going to disagree with you, with or without good reason. You just have to start living with that. For as long as you and a lot others have benefitted from what you do, dwell on that and not what others think. That is, if you want to survive.

I work on tables, chairs, ladders, cans, CHBs, rubber tires, and whatever junk or structure I see and I had fantastic experience using them. The trust, bond, character and confidence building I generate from the dogs (which for me is the main purpose for training) are priceless. But then I am aware not all dogs are up to these, yet I don't call them bad dogs. I can't help people having a negative impression of the exercises we do no matter how good the results may be. Mostly these negative impressions are the complete opposite of what it really is. So who cares?

Best regards...

·
Banned
1,395 Posts
Mr. England did not invent table training. He may have popularized it in this country in recent history but I've heard of dog trainers from Germany talking about using tables 40-50 years ago. It's probably older than that.

There are many forms of the table. It's used for bite work, actually there are a couple of different shapes it takes, it's used for OB work (especially with small dogs - to save the handler's back) and it's used for training the forced retrieve. There are probably other uses as well. One way it works is by limiting the dog's options.

Like any tool it can be used properly or it can be abused. When abused it takes the form of agitating a dog who really doesn't have what it takes to bite and when he fails to engage, the decoy knocks him off the table. The dog can't get back on it and he strangles. At the point where he's about to lose consciousness, he's helped back onto the table. If he still won't bite the decoy this is repeated until the dog learns that if he bites he doesn't get knocked off the table and he's spared from a near death experience by strangling.

I've never felt the need to use one.

But I do have one question. Why is that that tables used for bite work are always set up inside of buildings where a casual passer-by could not observe how they're being used? If nothing untoward happens, why not do it in the open? That's where most other forms of dog training take place.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Steve, try and be nice here. I have seen you booted off too many boards for your over the top responses. Most of the time you quote a lot of credentials to people that are not nice posters. Please don't do that here.

The other thing that disturbs me is how much time you spent on your site just to make fun of Ed Frawley and Lou Castle. That is a bit scary. I don't care for how spastic Ed can get on his board, and Lou can really type up a storm for sure. I have talked to Lou, and really enjoyed the time that we talked. Never talked to Ed, but I would, even if he is a bit spastic in responses sometimes. :twisted: Either way, I would never even think to put up pages and pages about another person no matter what I thought of them. Just wrong.

Now, having said all that, hope to hear some different ideas on all the stuff we talk about here. Just don't talk about table training. You are too spastic on that subject. :p

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.