Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for brands/styles of suits?

Just how thin can you go before it's dangerous?

Keep hearing about "hidden body suits", any merit?

Simon

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Ever seen a leather and jute suit :mrgreen: especially the ones who are used at trials aren´t much :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Hurt is part of the game :wink:

Our decoy at the club (and best mate) is also a national KNPV decoy, he is alway full of bruises after a trial. At the club he uses a double or triple layer jute suit and neoprane (sp?) protection. It is the wetsuit stuff on his arms or bandages like you would use on a horse.

On this site there is a movie of Tyr where he is decoying and the movie a placed of our Robbie he did the stick attack.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
What type of work you are doing will determine the type of suit you want. IE mainly training, competition, leg dogs, upper body dogs, etc.

Personally I like the Demanet suits, they aren't cheap but they last a long time and are excellent quality. And aren't any more expensive than many other brands. If you are only going to have 1 suit I like a semi-comp. Light enough to do OK in trials, but heavy enough for daily use in training. You can get various styles depending on if you are working a lot of upper body dogs, or mainly leg dogs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's personal protection work. He's probably 50/50 between upper and lower body.
Hard bite, but usually not that deep, which suggests I could get away with a lighter suit?
Just figured the lighter the suit, the more realistic. When I see suit work, especially in some of the Ray Allen stuff, I can't help but imagine people are training their dogs to fight that marshmellow man from ghostbusters.
Although, I'm sure as far as the dog's concerned, a suit is a suit is a suit...

Simon

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have been using a Rocasport suit (training suit) for the past three years. They make a training suit which has the most protection, a semi-competition and a competition suit which is the lightest. If you are going to be taking a lot of bites from hard biting dogs, the training suit is best, and it holds up very well. It is not too bulky at all. They are well made and more affordable because they are made in Mexico where the labor is cheaper. The jacket is more like a Kimono style and you can customize it to your liking. If you get a Rocasport suit, add an inch or two to your measurements, especially for the bottom of the jacket as it tends to be a little short-waisted if you don't. You can get them through Castle K-9. You will still get some uncomfortable pinch bites with the training suit, so I would not recommend a lighter suit. A suit is just a big sleeve to the dogs, so there is nothing more realistic about a lighter suit except for the increased pain and bruises.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You just need do make sure that it is something that you can move good in. I'd rather have a thinner suit and be able to move better than a thick heavy suit just to try to keep from feeling anything. You can always wear padding under the suit if you want. Sometimes I wear neopreme on my arms to help a little, but Im not really too much worried about the pain. A lil pain is good, it kicks me in another gear! :p I like the Demanet suits, once they get broken in, they give you alot of movement.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
If you don't like the pinching then buy the neoprene gauntlets, they don't affect mobility, they don't add thickness to the suit, they just slide onto your arms for those pain in the ass dogs ;)

I think RayAllen sells a very thin gauntlet, never used it before, but I have used some slightly thicker ones about 1/2", ones that only cover the upper arms not the entire arm, you'll never feel a thing n it lets you go with the lighter weight suit.

Actually I have a pair of semi-competition Demanet pants that I'd be willing to sell, they are on the big side for me since I was sharing the suit with someone else, but if I can sell the pants to someone (don't have the jacket) then I will just buy a whole new suit that is exactly my size :) The pants are navy blue and don't have much use on them at all, not even broken in yet! PM me if interested.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The thin neoprene gauntlets that I have used were pretty much useless. The arm pads that people use for football and martial arts are about 3/4" thick and prevent pinch bites, especially for back/tricep bites.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are looking for PP suit work, go buy the Ray Allen hidden suit. You WILL take a short beating but you CAN hide it. It's like taking bites with a hidden sleeve. I have used one and aside from all the other Ray Allen BS, it can serve a purpose.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Can someone tell me what kind of the suit the decoy in this video is wearing? Who makes it and where can you buy them?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5040729791244978920

What I like about this suit is that it's thin and close fitting, and that it doesn't seem as soft as most of the suits on the market. There just seems to be less 'loose' material there to bite instead of a limb. And by that I mean, in some of the various suit work footage I've seen, the part of the suit that the dog is biting is stretched away from the decoy's body like a bungee cord. What good is that?

Andy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you are looking for PP suit work, go buy the Ray Allen hidden suit. You WILL take a short beating but you CAN hide it. It's like taking bites with a hidden sleeve. I have used one and aside from all the other Ray Allen BS, it can serve a purpose.
I am actually in the market to purchase a 'hidden suit.' Paul, have you, or anyone else tried Ray Allen's hidden suit? I am not sure if Demanet makes one, but I am looking for the best quality and what simulates a 'real bite' to the dog.

·
Registered
674 Posts
> I have instructed at a seminar hosted by a PD which has 2 of them. They work fine. I have no complaint with them. Teams that had never worked with one really were impressed also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts