Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not completely new to working dogs, but this is a first for me.
I have a 1.5 year old intact male Malinois, knpv lines. I'm having issues with his behavior around other dominant male dogs. Recently it escalated into him charging another dog just upon sighting him and starting a spat. My dog and this other dog do have history of barrier (fence) fighting once before, and this other dog has attacked other dogs before too. My pup has never injured another dog at all, not a single mark, but there is a lot of noise and dominant body language. This has to stop. He can be redirected with food and toys, but if he's left to make his own choices, he tries to start shit. He has fantastic body language with other dogs and he's great with about 90% of male dogs, but ocasionally he just goes from 0-100 in a split second. Even if things are tense but it looks like they could both settle down, if the other dog growls first, all hell breaks loose. How do i cement to him that he can dislike some dogs, but this kind of behavior is unacceptable to act on? We have worked on default disengage behaviors, but without management he would make bad choices. He's an asshole of a dog sometimes, but otherwise he's great. Would a one-time big flooding-type come to jesus meeting help stop the behavior? I'm at a loss. None of my past dutchies or shepherds have done anything like this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts