Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is driving me nuts!!! i hope some one here can help me out, here's the deal: i have a new (used) ford crown vic (yeah, it likes to go fast, ok??!!). but that's not the problem.

this car generates SO MUCH static e, that i can't get into/out of it without a shock; when i'm driving down the road w/pup, if he touches me, he gets "snapped".

should i get a piece of chain to ground the SOB, or what? any ideas would be better than where i'm at now.... :cry:

·
Registered
595 Posts
:eek: Damn yes! There is that! Get some dryer sheets and keep in your floorboard and a couple on the seat. Rub your shoes on those; you can even rub the dog lightly with them so he doesn't get "charged" and for heavens' sake TOUCH YOUR DOOR HANDLE OR SOMETHING TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE A CHARGE BEFORE PICKING UP A GAS PUMP!!!!! There have been people badly burned and killed that way.

Crown Vics are death traps in more ways than one IMO, ask any cop.

I have to use the dryer sheets a lot in the winter in my job. I handle a lot of big sheets of film; it's very dry and then I am burning metal plates for the press. More than once I have touched a drawer handle and nearly lit up the room! Yeeeowch!!! Cling-free is your friend!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
When you get in the car, first touch the handle with your car key. That takes a lot of the sting out of it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
:eek: :eek: Good grief Ann, you must be a fully charged gal!!!! I can just see you now......cling free sheets hanging everywhere. You won't even need to use an e-collar for training.

Be careful with fueling up. Sounds dangerous!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Heeheehee, are you scared yet? :lol:

I think there are also devices you can buy to dissapate static charge build up in your vehicle. I have no idea how well they work, but here's one:

http://www.mizter.com/

I feel bad for you...I had a car like that once...it gets really irritating after awhile.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Oh yeah, sheesh, forgot to mention...

Folks in our clean rooms and those that handle the technology (fun fact: a typical static charge carries a ton of electricity and can blow up a lot of techy things...and would be quite unpleasant for humans if sustained) wear stuff like this:

http://www.rcsnet.com/www_site/category.cfm?mfg=&fmg=14&cat=1117

BTW, this will be worse in winter than other times of the year.

BTW, it could be worse.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
geez woody, i was starting to be just a LEETLE spooked before i even GOT to your posts!! i vaguely remember hearing about that guy in Aust., but never realized someone had done the research pointing the finger at the rairer sex for setting cars on fire thru static e.

BTW, i think maybe you're getting a little too much enjoyment out this :D

AND, this reminded me of an incident last summer when i was fueling my car: a GUY pulled up across from me, starts gassing up his car, LIGHTS A CIGARETTE, and stands there leaning against the rear 1/4 panel, smoking his smoke, not a care in the world. i kid you not :?: :?: :-s

and when i went in to pay for my gas and told the cashier about it, i got a "no big deal" kind of response!! i bailed out of there as quick as i could, kept looking in my rearview so i wouldn't miss the explosion. wow!

anyway-thanks for all the suggestions, i'll definitely try the dryer sheets, the key to the door (that's a good one), etc. one of the reasons i asked is b/c of the fueling hazard too (but mostly b/c i'm tired of poor brix getting nailed).

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
ann freier said:
geez woody, i was starting to be just a LEETLE spooked before i even GOT to your posts!! i vaguely remember hearing about that guy in Aust., but never realized someone had done the research pointing the finger at the rairer sex for setting cars on fire thru static e.
Well, this is one of those things that hacks off and also interests people who like statistics. It's not womenfolk, it's the fact that they are prone to get into cars while they are refueling. Which is interesting for a few different reasons, culturally speaking. You could argue that women get back into cars so they will not be harassed by men, in which case, men are actually at fault for static e fires.

And I do think it can vary by cars. My little old Jetta GLX used to light me up like a Christmas tree every morning, man that teed me off.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have no idea how to help the static INSIDE your car, because I have that problem, too, but before I get out of the car, I make sure my hand is touching the door or some metal part of the car to keep myself from being shocked. It only works if I remember to touch metal before I start getting out, though. Usually the current goes out of me, travels around the outside of the car, and zaps Adam as he gets out of the passenger side. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Didn't you guys see the mythbusters guys trying to blow up a contained area with a cell phone? Didn't work.

I love those guys.

Different deal, this is static discharge, not cell phone stuff. Static discharge is a real (rare) problem.

Edited to say...having said that...ALWAYS buy OEM batteries for your phone. Don't buy off-brand stuff. A lot of it is gray and black market stuff, a lot of it can blow up on your head.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
perhaps, but it may not help (in the long run) in the propagation of the species due to the fact that a disproportionately higher # of us seem to be affected.

but i don't think it is. i think it's mostly we don't have to maintain a macho veneer, and, we don't see the point of freezing our butts off waiting for gas to pump (at least i don't :D ).

oh--i have to go fill up after work today, so if you never hear from me again, you'll have a pretty good idea what happened..... :cry:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, the dryer sheets worked really well today as long as i kept Brix from eating them--he thought is was some game when i swiped him w/them, then the seats, ets.--they may've been mommie/brix-eating monsters, you know :!: . (he doesn't care too much about being groomed either, though he will put up w/it).

and, if they were just in range; another new thing to chew up :lol: he's such a goofy pup :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dryer Sheets under your seats will also make your car smell good. :) I used to do that.

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Try taking a small wire and hook one end to the frame of the seat and the other end to a screw that goes into the body to ground the seat. It should already be grounded. Maybe the ground strap is corroded in the engine compartment. Otherwise, maybe a thin metal strip inder the fabric hooked to the wire instead of the frame of the seat. Then again, maybe that is why you used to see so many Fords with those rubber ground straps hanging under the back of the car. Plasic seat covers? :lol: Leather ? :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts