Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious as to what sport people are doing and why they choose that sport... Just kinda curious so I can look into different things with my dog! Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
IPO, because thats what my trainer trains n I've learnt to like it from a decoys perspective and am also now enjoying it as a handler. I like how he teaches and what he teaches me, since we also train police dogs I get to experience the differences in training too. It's not that I don't like it, I do, I just can't stand to watch the monotony at a trial, you seen one dog you seen em all ;) He's taught me what to look for when I look at a sport dog, n everytime we work new dogs n we see the video of the workout he'll show me how to read the dog we just worked to judge the dogs character. I can look at a video of someones dog who is training for KNPV or FR or whatever sport you like, n I will see the way the decoy is working the dog and can identify in alot of cases what they are trying to fix or work on based on that too. Fundamentally it applies to all sports, which is why I say, training is nothing more than a bunch of routines. Different sport, different routine. The pressure we put on most dogs in training is WAY more than the dog will ever see in any IPO trial, n police dogs especially are taught in a "if they are gonna run, they are gonna run in training" mentality. There is also a difference between training the bare minimum to title and training a dog above and beyond the sport you are competing in. Something that rarely happens at training clubs from what I've seen.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
For most on our club it's schutzhund but we also have AKC obedience titles. Some also do Iron Dog and a few other forms of training.
If your serious and train consistently, we'll help and support you and your dog, whatever your choice.
Our club dues are just enough to support the club. Nobody, including the TD/Helper makes a penny. If you come only when you feel like it, or only when it's convient for you, you wont last cause your taking up good training time for the serious folks.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Schutzhund. I like the tradition, I like tracking, I like everything about schutzhund. I couldn't care less about whether it is "real" or not. Bob, nothing is worse than folks who expect to be able to train whenever they don't like what's on tv!! The "sometimers" are the first to complain about the cold, or having to wait too long!

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
IPO, because thats what my trainer trains n I've learnt to like it from a decoys perspective and am also now enjoying it as a handler. I like how he teaches and what he teaches me, since we also train police dogs I get to experience the differences in training too. It's not that I don't like it, I do, I just can't stand to watch the monotony at a trial, you seen one dog you seen em all ;) He's taught me what to look for when I look at a sport dog, n everytime we work new dogs n we see the video of the workout he'll show me how to read the dog we just worked to judge the dogs character. I can look at a video of someones dog who is training for KNPV or FR or whatever sport you like, n I will see the way the decoy is working the dog and can identify in alot of cases what they are trying to fix or work on based on that too. Fundamentally it applies to all sports, which is why I say, training is nothing more than a bunch of routines. Different sport, different routine. The pressure we put on most dogs in training is WAY more than the dog will ever see in any IPO trial, n police dogs especially are taught in a "if they are gonna run, they are gonna run in training" mentality. There is also a difference between training the bare minimum to title and training a dog above and beyond the sport you are competing in. Something that rarely happens at training clubs from what I've seen.
is it really too much work to use AnD?

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
I'm not in English class AnD I can type how I want AnD if you don't like it don't read it ;)

ok, but from that "neener neener neener" response, it's obvious that you're in some sort of 4th grade class. if not english, what then?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now my husband is helping me with French ring. I didn't exactly pick the sport, but I figure I won't know if I like it until I try it! Iron Dog sounds interesting!

Oh and Mike if it wasn't for spell check on my computer 1/2 of my stuff would be spelled wrong because I think faster then I can type! lol I think a lot of us are guilty of that! lol But if everyone else is blaming you I think I might too! :p :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
You want to hear bashing, ask about that worthless iron dog crap :D
Yeah but it's fun to take our GSD to their trials and go home with all the trophy's. We have a Little 55 lb bitch that even took first in weight pull:D

Connie, it's got a lot of fun things for the bulldog people to do but, as with any new sport, it's got a long way to go.
As with any bite sport, there's to much misunderstanding about a tough dog and a dog that's raising hell hoping the decoy doesnt get any closer.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Probably the most feeble and embarassing of all the dog sports. Plus there is always the really embarassing judging, where the judges buddies win.

YUCK.
I think the biggest problem is very few seem to know how to train a dog. That's not ment as a dis, just an observation.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Most bulldog people figure out pretty quick that their dogs are useless. Then they use lack of time to excuse the dogs poor showing. This sport caters bigtime to this, so it is pretty popular.

YUCK.
Hard to argue with that one! :D

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
I am so dang good at this it isn't funny anymore :roll:
Thanks Jeff! I plan on using that "lack of time" excuse for my poor tracking preformance when I go for Thunder's one. :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 89 Posts