Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets talk about sports and how to properly bash them. Whenever I talk about the weakness of any sport, here and the real world, I always wonder what it is that others are looking for in a sport?

So when I say that a sport like PSA does not look for a dogs abilty to inhibit itself under pressure, what is it that you are actually hearing???

So that is question one, so I am going to leave it at that and see what I get from it. So don't be chicken, lets see if we can stay on topic for more than one page. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Lets talk about sports and how to properly bash them.
This is the first problem. You're not going to get any constructive discussion going if the attitude is "bash it." People in those sports have invested way too much time in them to respond to some doof on the internet who starts out this way.

I would like to have a forum where we can actually talk about the weaknesses of sports (and their strengths). That would be interesting. But starting out (or coming into) a thread saying "sport x is crap, sport y is superior" doesn't get anyone very far.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
So when I say that a sport like PSA does not look for a dogs abilty to inhibit itself under pressure,:D
first, this part doesn't make sense to me, the "PSA does NOT look...". Huh? i must be missing something huge is all i can figure; jeff's transmitting but i'm not receiving :oops:
at any rate, unless something makes sense, i certainly can't have an opinion.
and second, i have to be a follower and agree w/woody and connie: i didn't think the purpose of this forum was to bash anyone/thing. it's to learn.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Do you mean to say that the dog has no requirement to restrain drive to get his goal? Or maybe no requirement to control nerve? Or maybe no requirement to focus before obtaining his goal?

Is it possible to actually ask questions and get answers that do not contain bashing of others' sports or personal insults?

If it isn't, then I will take the O.P. at his word, consider this a bashing thread, and end it.

Edit: This is the part where Jeff smiles and calls me N00B from the other end of the internet.

Or he SAYS he smiles. I have never heard corroboration.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You know, this is exactly what I was talking about in my post. IMMATURITY. This is not a topic that needs to be discussed... sport bashing... not everyone likes mondio ring, not everyone likes ASR, not everyone likes Sch.... so why put those people down when they have invested time and money into something. Why bash it just because YOU don't like it, that is YOUR opinion. I thought we were adults.. With a topic like that you are just asking to start a fight and see how far you can push people.

I don't see were this could have a constructive topic...

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
I (and I think Mike also) interperted the question differently...You can also read it as : What are the weaker points of your sport, what is said often?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Selena van Leeuwen said:
I (and I think Mike also) interperted the question differently...You can also read it as : What are the weaker points of your sport, what is said often?
I interpreted it that way, too, and thought maybe "bashing" was meant to be ironic. Amusing.

Probably wrong, but willing (for a while) to withhold judgment.

·
Registered
269 Posts
then why not call the thread weaknesses... and not sport bashing.... I took it as someone starting to start an argument. But why only point out weaknesses... Every sport has to have positives as well right?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Kim Gossmeyer said:
then why not call the thread weaknesses... and not sport bashing.... I took it as someone starting to start an argument. But why only point out weaknesses... Every sport has to have positives as well right?
OK, we will use the term "weaknesses." :wink:

Our forum has "weaknesses" in subject titling.

I am interested in seeing whether this is really a learning thread or a piece-of-junk rant.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would hope to learn something, from people who have tried sports to find weakness. and not just people talking from inexperience in the sport in which they speak

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
@ Kim everybody will tell the positive things of his/her sport, but not everything could be great..every sport have (some) weaknesses...and who can better tell them than the ones who are practising them?

As you see Mike and I both ansewered for our own sport :wink: I´m very curious of Jeff´s answer regarding MR :D

·
Registered
705 Posts
yeah i think what jeff was sayin is that he wanted to talk about the weakness of sports. i got ya this time. lol and i think he was just using psa as a start off topic and nothin personal.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There is no sport that is going to be perfect for everyone. They ALL have their weaknesses.

The biggest weakness for me, in any and EVERY sport, is politics. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
i think it's important to look at why a given handler is into the sport of their choice. if it's anything more than "i like working with and training my dog", then you set yourself up for failure. if you want a PPD, then train him to be one as no sport completely addresses all of the aspects of PP training. this is where people get into the huge debates about "SchH, PSA, FR, (insert your sport here) dogs aren't real".

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
If we accepted Tim's premise (and I do), then "weakness" loses a lot of the meaning it's usually given in sports threads, right?

If sport is NOT PP (not better; not worse; just NOT), then "reality" versus choreography is out the window.

So then what would be a weakness? Some sports reward some things and some reward others.

As Amber says, wouldn't the structure, the judging, the "politics" then be the only area where "weakness" is a valid judgment (as opposed to "difference")?

And the drunken SchH judges, of course. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Wow.... OK we all know this is Jeff starting the thread. We all know what he's like, he's the guy that wants to push everyones buttons. i actually think that if people get over his choice in wording that we can get some constructive conversation going here. So lets stop with the commentary on the "weaknesses" in this thread and concentrate on the weaknesses in our chosen sport. It'd be interesting what people think of and how realistic they are when it comes to criticizing their own sport rather than other peoples sports. Every sport has its problems, the more you understand about dog training the more obvious they become, but you have to train what is available to you with the people you can learn from and enjoy learning from. Afterall, sport is just teaching a dog a routine.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Besides drunken SchH judges, Mike, and supposing non-acceptance of Tim's argument, would choreography (or routine) be the biggest sport "weakness," in your opinion?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts