Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Very nice action pics. Thanks for sharing. Your Dad looks calm, cool and collected in the first picture - or is that just a front :p Thanks for sharing them :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Nice pics Jay. It's great that you guys have a group of experienced people down there! Bentley looks cool,
AL

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Bentley IS cool. My son Jay is cool too but I can't stud him out. :eek:
Bentley is now retired. His bloodlines is out of Pike van Guy's Hof. Bentley will be 9 in April but you can't tell him that. HARD full grips. Most of our decoys don't like to work him in a bitesuit and when they do they use extra padding underneath. I love it.
What else could a guy ask for, A buddy in a dog and a best buddy in a son.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea its great being able to spend time with the old man. My whole life we have done everything together whether it being baseball, football, or dog training. With all that white on top of his head you have to know that he is full of knowledge so I have always just soaked it in like a sponge. We have a great club here and we all train and compete together not against one another. Dad and Bentley make a great team and you can see the calmness they both have in working together. I hate that Bentley is getting older and is retired AGAIN, but I know even at his age if dad asked an ASR II from him, Bentley would deliver and with a high score. He's a very special dog. He has put many of bruises and a few scars on me. I told dad just the other day that as the years pass and Bentley is gone that we will always remember him when I show dad the memories(scars) that ol Bentley boy has left with me and we will just smile. :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hahah...how nice to have permanent memories like that :D Im sure Bentley had fun making those memories!

Great Pics, looks like fun. And your dad does look very cool and collected!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Jerry looks cool and collected because he knew Bentley would KICK BUTT! No nervousness necessary with him... And he did... kick butt I mean... :wink:

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Kristen, it's not over yet. I got to find the right bitch to breed him to. I have a female that I think would produce what I would like to have in a pup. I haven't got her OFA'd yet but it's time. She just turned two years old. Her picture and pedigree is on http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/449060.html
I don't have Bentley's pedigree on that website but he is out of the Guy's Hof line. Bentley OFA'd excellent. Ufo van Guy's Hof is his cousin. Ufo's mom is Palma who is the sister of Bentley's dad Pike. Bentley's mom side is not really good but that breeding worked VERY well. If you know of any good females out there let me know.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Jay, what kinds of games do you get to play on the dog in ASR? I have no idea how you are suppost to present yourself as a decoy, etc. Not sure if I'm asking this correctly. Presuming there is stick contact (how much?), how many games can you play on their approach, etc.

There is a .0005% chance I may move to Georgia this year. Just wondering for the sake of wondering. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I think what he means is "can the decoy screw with the dog to throw him off or is it mostly uniform routine? if the decoy can throw the dog off then to what extent?".

Like in French Ring the decoy intentionally makes the dog miss the bite.

Correct me if I'm wrong Woody.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Yeah, and are there full stick hits or not, how many,etc. Do you get to go whaka-whaka-whaka with clatter sticks on 'em and stuff.

Can you punch them dead in the kidneys with some quarters rolled up in your fist like in canadian street ring?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Well lets see if I can answer this. We test the dogs courage not how much pain he can take. We do try to make him doubt his abilities. The amout of pressure we put on the dog of course depense on his level of training. In the entery level he will get one stick hit and no verbal pressure. Level-1 he will get more hits and verbal pressure. Level-1 he will also get pom frons or penny jugs. Level-2 even more of all. Level-3 EVEN MORE. etc..
In the upper levels if the dog doubts he will be run by the decoy. BUT at every trail when this happens the decoy will go into training mode. The dog is not going off the field without a good experience.
I hope I answered your question if not I'll try again. I don't want you leaving either without a good experience :lol:
Come on down to Ga. we would love to have you.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Entry level is just a ground breaking level, pretty basic. Level one steps it up. You give the dogs three hits whether stick hits or penny jugs. The hits are pretty hard, rare back and drill em. Level two, as many hits as you can get in the time frame, as well as level three. While you're working the dog you can drive them into obstacles, trees, barrels, anything thats out there. You just have to try and be consistant with every dog, pretty much do anything you can think of to get them to come off. Because the main object is for them not to come off. Its a test. I've seen people come out there with dogs that they think are billy bad asses but have not had the proper training to handle such pressure and get ran right off the field, even in the entry level. If this happens and the judge calls off the exercise we always at least try to give the dog a winning bite so we don't completely break him down. Level two and three is when the dog does not get a clear target and all bets are off and the dog is truely tested.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jerry Lyda said:
Well lets see if I can answer this. We test the dogs courage not how much pain he can take. We do try to make him doubt his abilities. The amout of pressure we put on the dog of course depense on his level of training. In the entery level he will get one stick hit and no verbal pressure. Level-1 he will get more hits and verbal pressure. Level-1 he will also get pom frons or penny jugs. Level-2 even more of all. Level-3 EVEN MORE. etc..
In the upper levels if the dog doubts he will be run by the decoy. BUT at every trail when this happens the decoy will go into training mode. The dog is not going off the field without a good experience.
I hope I answered your question if not I'll try again. I don't want you leaving either without a good experience :lol:
Come on down to Ga. we would love to have you.
Very interesting. I really like the fact that they go into training mode, and leave the dog on a good note.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts