Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've notice a little patch on Xena's head that seems a bit bare of fur....

She has grey eyebrows to start with, so are lighter than her face... but over the right eye it's a little bit bare. I don't think it's got particularly worse since I brought her home...but it's there nevertheless..

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it's probably demodex (which isn't contagious).
You were correct :)

The vet said demodex...but isn't 100% sure...

Prescribed some ADVOCATE application to the rear of the neck. (i've since applied that..so we'll see if it works)>..

Xena was fighting him a bit in the surgery, so he couldn't do a scraping. He says if the ADVOCATE doesn't work, he'll have to do a scraping, under local mild anesthetic...to calm her down a bit.

We'll have to see if it sorts it out...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Hey now, Jeff; demodex CAN be a serious problem. Gypsy had generalized demodex as a puppy, and lost all the hair on her belly and on the insides of her legs, as well as in patches on her back, and on the tops of her paws and on her muzzle. It was bad. It took over a year for her to recover and for the hair to grow back.

Demodex can be treated with 1% ivermectin, given daily, at a much higher dose than you would give if you were using it for heartworm prevention (I am not going to tell you the dosage amount, so you will need to talk to your vet about it if you're interested). Demodex can also be treated with Mitaban (Amitraz, the same ingredient in Preventic collars) dips, given weekly, I believe. My vets do not do the dips because they say the dips are extremely hard on the dog's system. You can also give vitamins to boost the immune system, such as B-complex (not high potency), Ester-C, fish oil & vitamin E, and zinc. You can give the vitamins in conjunction with the ivermectin.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much does vetcare cost in the UK?
Depends really...

Some prices:

Todays prescription of ADVOCATE remedy for Demodex was £25 ($50). That included the vet's time, diagnosis etc.

An inoculation (every year) costs in the region of £20($40)

A major operation, like the reversing of Torsion and aftercare, is approx £600-£1000($1213-$2020)

I pay insurance for my dog, which costs me £11($22.20) per month. That covers me for £2000($4043) in vet's bills per year.
Although I have to pay the first £50($102) of any claim.

Hope that helps/explains UK vet prices...

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
My JRT always wore the hair off above his right eye when he worked quarry underground. I have no idea how he did that!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She still has the bald patch, and it's grown slightly...perhaps about 3-5mm more.... it's pinky underneath..with a 3 or 4 red dots...

It could be a graze, like sometimes when she's running for ball and goes down with her face...but I don't think it is..

Not sure how long demodex takes to go..and of course the hair grown afterwards....

Will perhaps leave it for another week before returning to vets for a 'scrape' sample.. At least it's moved a bit further back from her eye, so it might be safer now..

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Where it is in relation to her eye is irrelevant, Gary. Demodex usually presents itself on the face, and often above the eye(s), like in the pic of your girl. The hair loss is caused by the mites (they live in the hair follicles and eat dead skin cells, sebum and epidermal debris), and, if left untreated, it can get better on its own, or it can get worse and 'spread.'

One thing you may want to do is give her some supplements to boost her immune system (B-complex, Ester-C, Zinc, Vitamin E), and help her body fight the mites on her own.

This page explains a little more about the mites, and also about treatment with Advocate, if you're interested: http://www.advocate-spot-on.com/Demodex_Mites.1309.0.html

When Gypsy had it, I treated it with the supplements and 1% ivermectin.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yeah, without doing a skin scraping, you have no way of knowing. It can't hurt anything to give the immune-boosting supplements, though, if you want. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts